Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Any new G.Fast routers out there yet?  (Read 2215 times)

smallal

• Reg Member
Any new G.Fast routers out there yet?
« on: November 28, 2018, 11:57:07 AM »

I'm currently running my G.Fast service via the Openreach MT992 modem & a 3rd party router as the BT Ultrafast router is rubbish.
I'm looking for a decent G.Fast enabled router but there's very little out there, has anyone heard of any new offerings about to hit the shelves?
Asus has had one out for a while but it still doesn't work properly with BT TV boxes so that one's a no-no.

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
Re: Any new G.Fast routers out there yet?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 09:53:13 AM »

Not AFAIK.

But what's wrong with continuing to use the MT992 modem with a third party router of your choice? Usually a 2 box setup is better in that you can have a more powerful router (high end ones have quadcore CPUs these days) with a lot more features. Unless you can't get BT tv working on a third party router? In that case have you tried using a decent Asus router which is Merlin fw compatible and if necessary request merlin to make it BT TV compatible via SNB forums?

smallal

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 07:51:39 PM »

Just call me lazy, but a simple 1 box solution that works is what I'm looking for.
I believe ASUS have had several goes at 'fixing' their DSL-AC88U but it still doesn't work properly with BT TV.
Pretty naff considering it's a premium product that's been on the market for 2 years.
When I had superfast I was using my TP-LINK VDSL router which worked great, just plug & play, but so far no new models from them.
In fact this may be part of the problem, there's very few new DSL routers hitting the market at the moment.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 08:30:51 PM »

2 box is better for sure, use the official modem

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 08:44:27 PM »

What doesn't work with YouView IPTV?
I've used my Asus RT-AC68U with it for a couple years now perfectly and it worked perfectly on the DSL-AC68U also.

I would have thought they would got to grips with Multicast by now.

The older generation of Asus firmware (RT & DSL) always counted Multicast downstream as upstream on their graphs/counters and any QoS settings could hit the Multicast.
The newer firmware releases for the RT models now completely ignore Multicast traffic on graphs/QoS/etc.
You can't see the traffic at all but it works.

I haven't followed Asus DSL firmware development since they closed the community forums for no reason.
No YouView IPTV/Multicast support isn't very good.

Did they never get it working, it's buggy, or did they break it? I'm sure I recall it working in the DSL-AC88U betas a couple months after release.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 01:23:17 PM »

One of the downside's of the DSL devices is they dont benefit from custom firmware's been available, merlin's firmware is based on asus firmware but he fixes a ton of bugs asus dont fix and some nice feature additions as well, but it isnt usable on the DSL devices.  So works on AC-68 e.g. but not DSL-AC68U.  Another option is also tomato firmware, which is completely custom but has a ton of extra options which could fix the problems mentioned here.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 02:33:44 PM »

Merlin actually works perfect on the DSL-AC68U, but only running as an RT-AC68U.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

smallal

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 10:52:45 AM »

What doesn't work with YouView IPTV?
I've used my Asus RT-AC68U with it for a couple years now perfectly and it worked perfectly on the DSL-AC68U also.
I would have thought they would got to grips with Multicast by now.
The older generation of Asus firmware (RT & DSL) always counted Multicast downstream as upstream on their graphs/counters and any QoS settings could hit the Multicast.
The newer firmware releases for the RT models now completely ignore Multicast traffic on graphs/QoS/etc.
You can't see the traffic at all but it works.
I haven't followed Asus DSL firmware development since they closed the community forums for no reason.
No YouView IPTV/Multicast support isn't very good.
Did they never get it working, it's buggy, or did they break it? I'm sure I recall it working in the DSL-AC88U betas a couple months after release.
Originally the DSL-AC88U would only pass the SD channels satisfactorily.
Since then things have improved, later firmware passed HD ok too, but the problem still occurs when using the BT TV 4K sports channel.
It looks like insufficient bandwidth is passed as both picture & sound breaks up.

anything