Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Monitoring camera  (Read 7013 times)

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Monitoring camera
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2018, 08:07:13 PM »

Very similar to the model you linked.

YI Dome Camera 1080p - White - currently £52.99 with 7% off voucher available

YI Dome Camera 1080p - Black - currently £52.99 with voucher that drops price to £31.99 !!

Only needs an SD Card to add modified firmware.

Worth a read.
https://github.com/shadow-1/yi-hack-v3/blob/master/README.md

I don't have this specific model, I own the smaller Yi Home camera that I got free in an Amazon glitch.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2018, 09:27:47 PM »

for Mrs Weaver being able to see guests arriving.

Monitoring cameras have been something I've been looking at for a while, but as yet I don't appear to have found anything that satisfies my needs and budget.  I definitely do not want to have to pay for cloud based storage which seems to come with a lot of them.

I highlighted the above quote, because you also said

I was thinking of having a baby-monitor type camera by my bed

What you may not be aware of (apols if you are) is that you may need 2 different types of camera.   The internal ones are no use for external monitoring of guests arriving.  I myself at one point thought I could perhaps get an internal camera and point it through the window.   Apparently whilst this may work fine during daylight, at night the glass will reflect the IR so you won't see anything...   this is something most manufacturers don't make purchasers aware of.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2018, 12:31:45 AM »

Thanks for warning me about that, that’s a mistake I would have been bound to make if I had gone for the proximity type units.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2018, 11:07:18 AM »

It's a mistake lots of others have made.   I quite fancied the Hive camera's and nearly bought one when they were on offer at a 1/3rd off thinking I could put it in the window to get a good view of anyone coming up my drive.  It was only when reading the reviews I saw someone mention the problem with IR at night and glass.   Then when looking at other makes specifically looking at the problems with IR through glass I then realised just how many other people had also not been aware of until actually purchasing and installing. :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 [2]