Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Monitoring camera  (Read 6965 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Monitoring camera
« on: November 30, 2018, 05:30:02 AM »

[I believe I asked about IP cameras some while back, for Mrs Weaver being able to see guests arriving. Can’t find it though despite a dozen searches and memory being shot doesn’t help.]

I would be interested to know if you think the following might be any good ?
   https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victure-Wireless-Detection-Security-Surveillance/dp/B07CB14GTB

I was thinking of having a baby-monitor type camera by my bed so that Mrs Weaver could keep an eye on me to see that I am alright. It also must be possible for her to talk to me and me to talk back, so a baby monitor++.

I really want devices that work on an existing 802.11n or 802.11ac infrastructure WLAN, ie one governed by WAPs, not things that use standalone rf or ad-hoc networks. I’m fairly sure that is true for this device, from the users’ Q&A. I don’t want any pollution of the airwaves by a rogue standalone device doing its own thing, taking up additional frequencies, which are very precious.

I don’t care about fabulous image quality. I unfortunately don’t know anything about the required accompanying software. It’s essential that it has  iPad and iPhone software and it is extremely important that this software is of superb quality. In fact the quality of the software is the top deciding issue.

Again, from the Q&A, this one seems to be unable to speak 5GHz, most unfortunately.

If there is another similarly capable model but one that is more high-end then I would take a look at that too. I would be very attracted by a 5GHz one.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Monitoring camera
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 12:04:23 PM »

I’ve sometimes looked at similar cameras and found that they appeared to depend upon some kind of cloud account, that the user had to create, residing on a remote server.   Not sure if I have misunderstood, though. :-\

Reasons I’d not want a cloud based solution...

I don’t want to have to create yet another account, think of another password, etc.
I don’t want the camera using DSL bandwidth, unless I dictate it.
Excepting major players like Apple or Google etc,  I would not generally trust the competence of cloud hosts, wrt security.
Would it all become useless if the vendor lost interest and the cloud server was removed?

Not sure if I have misunderstood the whole technology, or even if this specific device works that way, but I’d want to understand the answers.  :)

Deathstar

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 12:31:09 PM »

I tend to agree with 7LM.

I have CCTV, 1 Hikvision Camera connected to my NAS all cloud functionality disabled.

Synology come with 2 licences for their surveillance station.

I actually hardwired mine, but the Surveillance Station will work with IP Cameras.

I connect via the lan internally, and use port forwarding rules when connecting externally.
VMG1312-B10A Bridge Mode to ASUS DSLAC68U

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 01:24:19 PM »

you could probably knock up something fairly easily using a raspberry pi.
there is an official camera module for them, and i played about with a pre-compiled CCTV package for one, it was video only, but it worked as expected.
i'm sure there will be add-ons to allow for audio to.

it has a web front end that was accessible on pretty much any device.

edit - it's been a while but i think this was the package https://github.com/ccrisan/motioneyeos
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 01:28:59 PM by chenks »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 02:01:16 PM »

Oh, so perhaps the thing needs this so that it can identify users by some sort of account name outside the LAN on a different subnet? I never thought about that, I just imagined it working across one LAN and that’s it. Very good point, better forget that then. Damn, that is going to make this whole thing impossible.

I see some user in the Q&A claimed it would work if no internet connection. I would want that guaranteed before I risk my money ideally. I wonder if the manual can be obtained.

Whatever I buy, it will definitely be firewalled to block it from having any kind of internet access if I feel there’s any chance of anything funny going on. Firmware updates might be one defensible usage.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 02:11:50 PM by Weaver »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 06:00:52 PM »

Don’t give up on my account, I did confess to being unsure of my facts, just voicing some concerns.

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 11:23:34 PM »

I believe the camera in the OP is the Victure PC530, and the user manual can be found here.

The English is not good, and it isn't clear to me whether everything can be kept on the LAN (not using the internet).

The camera is controlled by an app (IPC360 on the Apple App Store), and some of the reviews report it to be buggy.

YMMV.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 08:03:54 AM »

Enormous thanks for finding the manual for me!

Some of the people answering questions from me and others about whether or not the device needs internet access are giving conflicting answers. Some replies are vague, and all the people who replied to one of my very specific and clear questions about a no internet scenario and needing internet access just gave irrelevant answers that showed they didn’t understand my question or had not read it correctly.

I will take a look at the manual. If the required app is buggy then I will have to look elsewhere.

I am wondering if it is a mistake looking at a home-user oriented product. I wonder if there is such a thing as a corporate or business users’ product for something that will do what I need - IP video across a LAN to a specific address and two way audio. But I don’t know what such a business​/​corporate niche​/​application/​scenario might be called so I have no idea what to search for.

I have had much more success when buying products if I avoid home user kit because then the design is aimed at sysadmins who think like me, not gormless home users. Corporate sysadmins will not put up with certain loads of nonsense that manufacturers get up to, often require security awareness in the design and security features and also may want things like logging and event reporting.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 08:10:38 AM by Weaver »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 02:07:52 PM »

Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 02:27:46 PM »

Some of the people answering questions from me and others about whether or not the device needs internet access are giving conflicting answers. Some replies are vague, and all the people who replied to one of my very specific and clear questions about a no internet scenario and needing internet access just gave irrelevant answers that showed they didn’t understand my question or had not read it correctly.

not sure who that's particularly targetted at

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 03:05:41 PM »

Having followed this thread with interest I was wondering that too.  For somebody who relentlessly uses this forum as his own personal google service I’d have thought that a bit more appreciation of people’s attempted help might be appropriate.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 04:25:42 PM »

Just leave it at that, please folks.
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 04:29:58 PM »

I think you’ll find it was a reference to the q&a on the Amazon page, rather than the forum contributors. :)

I had a look myself, it boasts 665 answered questions, although the quality of many of the answers, and even of some of the questions, is not always high.  :'(

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 04:37:19 PM »

I think you’ll find it was a reference to the q&a on the Amazon page, rather than the forum contributors. :)

you can see why there might be some confusing about the target.

why would anyone use or take any notice of amazon "reviews", it's mostly contributed by morons.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2018, 06:02:45 PM »

Ah my apologies, I should indeed have made it clear that I was talking about the Amazon Q&A.
Pages: [1] 2