Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: RPi 3B Memory Card Failure  (Read 3954 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
RPi 3B Memory Card Failure
« on: November 04, 2018, 04:28:23 PM »

My RPi 3B decided to give up the ghost today or to be more accurate the 16Gb. micro SD card, in 24/7 service running DSLStats, harvesting my 1312B-10A routers stat's..

Initially noticed that DSLStats had locked up although the RPi was still responding to all commands, however, on attempting to re-boot the RPi wouldn't come back to life.
Memory card checked in another RPi and confirmed corrupt / faulty.

Re-programmed another 16 Gb. card, taking the opportunity to upgrade to "stretch", old card had still been running "jessie".
Stored an image of the completed configuration and back in service.

Re-formatted the old memory card and re-loaded full configuration without any errors, currently running this in a spare RPi, not sure if I will trust again for DSLStats service accepting that SD memory cards do have a finite life span.
Not sure of it's age but has been in DSLStats 24/7 service for some considerable time certainly back to MDWS days.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

underzone

• Reg Member

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: RPi 3B Memory Card Failure
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 06:51:30 PM »

Which size cards can I use? I am interested in getting one of the cards you recommended.

I need some help from someone to get an operating system onto a card ready to use by SSH with no mouse or keyboard, so I can immediately just login to it over the (wired) LAN. If anyone has experience of an AArch64 system then that would be really superb, I would be very grateful.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 07:20:19 PM »

I've just been using SanDisk cat 10 cards, mostly from Argos @ around £10 for 16Gb. micro SD cards, certainly nothing special but adequate to date.
Of course DSLStats with it's 60 sec. sample rate and 24/7 running cycle is quite an intensive work load, my 2 RPi Zero's certainly max out their CPU's during and for quite a time after sampling.

May have just been program corruption, after re-formatting and program re-loading looks OK again as I said, time will tell.
Could invest in a better quality (more expensive) card or just except the possible limitations of cheaper alternatives.

underzone

• Reg Member

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 08:11:33 PM »

Not bad for £17.49

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CY3QSST/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Certainly not a bad price for a 32Gb. high spec card.

Don't like the "Exclusively for Amazon Prime Members" notice, not seen that before, I refuse to be bullied into signing up for prime but of course pay the price as non prime customers would appear to have their normal Royal Mail delivered orders dispatch delayed, I can certainly get RM deliveries from other suppliers to my address much faster.

Another Microsoft in the making perhaps, Amazon's way or no way !

shambly

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 08:35:02 PM »

I'd recommend looking for an industrial specification SD Card.

These modern high capacity SD Cards that use very small process geometries for their flash all seem to suffer from 'read disturb' failures, eventually. Even 'good quality' ones like Sandisk.

Industrial cards, as well as using larger process geometries, have specific counter measures built into them to help avoid the phenomenon.

I have had direct experience of this from shipping commercial products that use SD cards internally....

Simon

22over7

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 09:09:48 PM »

Don't like the "Exclusively for Amazon Prime Members" notice, not seen that before, ...

I've seen it before. Can't think of a specific example, but it happens more and more. Generally when something low-price is a particularly good deal.
By the way, the 64Gig Samsung card (£34.77) is available to us sub-prime plebs.
It's rare I need something so urgently I can't wait a week. (When I do, I just go to a shop.) The rest of Amazon prime is pure dross, for almost 100 quid a year. Bah Humbug.

Looking at industrial-spec cards, it seems to be difficult to spot ones with larger process geometries and/or measures against 'read disturb'.
The main sell seems to be that they'll survive in super-hostile environments.  24/7 in a well-ventilated over-specced raspberry pi, recording ephemeral line stats isn't that extreme.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 09:35:25 PM »

I only use the micro sd as the boot partition, I use a usb stick for the root partition, simpler to backup and replace.