Computer Software > Security

New (to me) scam attempt to hack Instagram

(1/6) > >>

broadstairs:
Over the past two days I had 4 emails supposedly from Instagram 2 of which say my email address has been changed on the account and the other two say my phone number had been removed. Now what initially raised suspicions was that the were sent to my Gmail address which is not associated with Instagram and the email address part in front of the @ was similar to my real gmail email but NOT correct as it had been split in two using a period. Looking at the source I could not see a genuine valid email address but the html looked just like a genuine Instagram email. Now all 4 emails were downloaded from my real Gmail account so somehow they managed to con Gmail into accepting the mail.

Good job I'm a suspicious type, anyone not looking carefully would probably clicking the link and end up losing control of their Instagram account.

Stuart

Ronski:
I'm pretty sure Gmail ignores periods.

https://gmail.googleblog.com/2008/03/2-hidden-ways-to-get-more-from-your.html

broadstairs:
Well that I believe is a huge hole in security and explains how I got the emails. I do not think that is reasonable at all, is there a way to turn that off?

Stuart

j0hn:
No.
You yourself own youremail@gmail.com and your.email@gmail.com and y.o.u.r.email@gmail.com

As many or as few periods as you like, you own them, nobody else can use them w/o your password.

edit: you can also use youremail+ anythinghere@gmail.com also works

sevenlayermuddle:
I wonder why the scammers inserted the dots in the first place, if they already knew your correct address?   :-\

Have you checked your Instagram account (not by clicking the link!) to check what it contains as your address, just in case it really has been hacked?   I have no idea whether Instagram allows you to review “recent changes/activity”, but it so, might be worth a look.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version