Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: More problems with two other modems / lines  (Read 8143 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
More problems with two other modems / lines
« on: November 27, 2018, 10:37:57 AM »

I do seem to have angered the ZyXEL and gods. My delight at seeing yet another all time downstream speed record of 3.26 Mbps for the line #1 modem, with all modems over 3 Mbps downstream has offended the dark deities.

The modem #1 has gone into the weird state that I experienced ages ago, where it works, talks to the internet but the admin webserver doesn’t work any more. I rebooted it with a reboot command at the CLI and even that did not restore the functioning of the admin web server. So I have asked Mrs Weaver to switch it off and it is being left off for a while.

Meanwhile, this morning, line #4 downstream SNRM zoomed quickly down to -4 dB and it resynched. The d/s noise level has gone up such a lot that when it came back up it had lost just over 550 kbps in d/s sync rate. So the DSL copper gods have been offended too. So that modem is now turned off too, having a long rest as well.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: More problems with two other modems / lines
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 06:17:20 PM »

:'(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 11:36:29 PM »

This morning, the VMG 1312-B10A that was in use on line 4 became really unstable, dropping the link, noise readings reportedly went up, d/s sync speed dropped down to 2Mbps v approx. After leaving it switched off for a long while, turned it back on and things git much worse, resynching often, d/s sync speed then down to ~1.1Mbps. This evening, put a DLink in in place on line 4, service restored, sync rate up to 2.8 / 0.55 Mbps, downstream SNRM 3.4 Mbps. I have not got round to flashing and configuring a replacement B10Aye5, but I have several spares lined up. So an exact repeat performance of what happened a couple of weeks ago with this particular individual B10A. It has been sentenced to death.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 04:29:57 AM »

even though I've swapped out the modem, the replacement modem on line 4 is now (I think) not in sync having lost the connection at 20:22 on wed evening, and it has remained down, never reconnected for some reason. I did a BT copper line test, no problems and I'm stuck now. Next thing is to power-cycle the modem.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 09:17:56 AM »

Engineer came out to line 4 on Monday. Fixed it up on Tuesday morning.

Managed to break line 3 the moment he arrived! Bit of a coincidence that it failed the exact time he turned up. Another engineer coming on Fri to mend line 3 now. Told AA this.

intermittent DeltaR / Autoprotective PQT test performed at NTE back plate. The test passed with resistance within permissible range for broadband on 04/12/2018.TDR completed. PQT performed at NTE backplate. The test failed on 04/12/2018.No noise, misrouted / crossed lines or left in FTTC jumpers in PCP on the line identified. Fault located in the D side underground network. Base module checks completed. Resolved issue in joint. Network module completed as amber parameters were identified. Engineer checked the pair quality on D-side. D-side underground network upgraded. No change in the broadband Stability / speed / sync, despite improving the PQT parameters. NTE not replaced. Final PQT performed at the NTE back plate. The test passed with amber parameters on 04/12/2018.Final FastTest completed. The test passed on 04/12/2018

I found a reference to ‘delta-R’ in another Kitz thread. I’m thinking this means resistance measurements made but with two tests, injecting two different voltages ? Is that right? In case too much injected test voltage is providing wetting current for a junction? Test-injected voltage fixing the problem? I’m just guessing.

It’s not true the bit about speed sync stability improved as line 4 is fine now, speed back up to what it should be roughly and it is stable.

I’m trying to remember. I don’t think this is the only time OR has come out to fix one line and broken another one :-( No compensation for me and AA for the cost, loss of service and the hassle.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 09:23:26 AM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 04:40:27 PM »

It goes on  :(  and on.   :'(

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 07:28:59 PM »

Spinning plates.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 07:40:32 PM »

Crazy. Just highlights the problems with ancient copper... openreach man goes in a cavern or up a poll, wobbles stuff and it breaks. 21st century network!

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 05:09:36 AM »

It seems to me that CPs ought to be able to require a physical quality review of an entire group of metallic paths. Not just those belonging to one end-user, but all circuits in a particular run that belong to their end users. And the output of that should be a required re-work and reliability upgrade plan that will radically reduce the number of future faults where applicable. I have thoughts regarding a metric.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 04:51:43 PM »

Today’s visit - wet, corrosion

Note Please find the engineer notes without check list :- I completed the ring ahead with the end customer and progressed to their premises. End customer advised there is a broadband issue. I have resolved the fault located at the D-side including aerial cables / lead-in / block terminal. The fault was located outside the end customer's curtilage and shown by damp / corrosion to wire / cable. The fault was fixed by clearing in joint. No additional work was carried out on the end customer's wiring / equipment beyond the NTE at their request and within TRC banding. Engineer has not visited end customer premises. I performed final Fast Test from the customer premise. Engineer notes with check list :- 07/12/2018 13:52:00 ===Point Of Intervention notes=== Between this point... - Location: 80ms below cattle grid - Work Point: JB23 At this point... Plant details... - Plant affected: JNT100 - Plant type: UCJ Multiple Intervention?: Y ===Point Of Intervention notes ends=== (No manually entered closure notes) ===QBC Summary Start===I completed the ring ahead with the end customer and progressed to their premises. End customer advised there is a broadband issue. I have resolved the fault located at the D-side including aerial cables / lead-in / block terminal. The fault was located outside the end customer's curtilage and shown by damp / corrosion to wire / cable. The fault was fixed by clearing in joint. No additional work was carried out on the end customer's wiring / equipment beyond the NTE at their request and within TRC banding. Engineer has not visited end customer premises. I performed final Fast Test from the customer premise. The test passed on 07/12/2018 13:45:16.===QBC Summary End===

Can / should something be done to keep the wet and salt out?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 05:27:40 PM »

In theory, the clip-type joint closure should be watertight. They often spend a lot of time submerged in murky, stagnant, water within a footway or roadway joint box/chamber.

Without actually seeing what the technician saw it is difficult to say anything more. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 06:23:53 PM by burakkucat »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 05:36:31 PM »

By taking a copy of the above quotation block and formatting it locally, by liberally inserting <New Line> characters, we can now see --

Note Please find the engineer notes without check list :-

I completed the ring ahead with the end customer and progressed to their premises.
End customer advised there is a broadband issue.
I have resolved the fault located at the D-side including aerial cables / lead-in / block terminal.
The fault was located outside the end customer's curtilage and shown by damp / corrosion to wire / cable.
The fault was fixed by clearing in joint.
No additional work was carried out on the end customer's wiring / equipment beyond the NTE at their request and within TRC banding.
Engineer has not visited end customer premises.
I performed final Fast Test from the customer premise.

Engineer notes with check list :-

07/12/2018 13:52:00
===Point Of Intervention notes===
Between this point... - Location: 80ms below cattle grid - Work Point: JB23
At this point...
Plant details... - Plant affected: JNT100 - Plant type: UCJ Multiple Intervention?: Y
===Point Of Intervention notes ends===
(No manually entered closure notes)
===QBC Summary Start===
I completed the ring ahead with the end customer and progressed to their premises.
End customer advised there is a broadband issue.
I have resolved the fault located at the D-side including aerial cables / lead-in / block terminal.
The fault was located outside the end customer's curtilage and shown by damp / corrosion to wire / cable.
The fault was fixed by clearing in joint.
No additional work was carried out on the end customer's wiring / equipment beyond the NTE at their request and within TRC banding.
Engineer has not visited end customer premises.
I performed final Fast Test from the customer premise.
The test passed on 07/12/2018 13:45:16.
===QBC Summary End===

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 05:51:32 PM »

We really need the services of Black Sheep, liquorice or 4c to translate the above.

My attempts --

Work Point: JB23 . . . . . . . . . . . . Joint Box 23 ?
Plant affected: JNT100 . . . . . . I suspect that is a reference to a 100 pair cable.
Plant type: UCJ . . . . . . . . . . . . . Universal Clip Joint ?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 06:24:52 PM by burakkucat »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 08:19:27 PM »

Is Jb23 a part code? Or a location?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 08:55:07 PM »

I'm uncertain as to its precise meaning.  :-\

Working from the notes (and knowing your location & environment well (with the help of Google's Street View)) . . .

Taking the "80ms" to be "80 metres" (not 80 milliseconds) and "below cattle grid" to be "beyond the cattle grid, downhill towards the village", then that puts "Work Point: JB23" to be at the foot of the carrier pole from which your four aerial feeds emanate.

Probably that point is marked in the network records as "JB23".

Pages: [1] 2 3