Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Openreach List 81 New UK Areas for G.fast Ultrafast Broadband  (Read 5514 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Openreach List 81 New UK Areas for G.fast Ultrafast Broadband
« on: November 26, 2018, 12:43:08 AM »

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/11/openreach-list-81-new-uk-areas-for-g-fast-ultrafast-broadband.html

A further 81 new locations have today (November 2018 update) been confirmed as the next to benefit from Openreach’s (BT) roll-out of 330Mbps capable hybrid fibre G.fast “ultrafast broadband” ISP technology, which aims to cover 5.7 million UK homes and businesses by the end of 2020 (March 2021 financial year).

The G.fast (ITU G.9700/9701) service works in a similar way to existing Fibre-to-the-Cabinet (FTTC / VDSL2) technology by running a fibre optic cable to your local PCP Street Cabinet (note: VDSL2 has its own separate DSLAM cabinet – usually positioned close to the PCP cabinet), which is then fitted with an extension “pod” to house the line cards (this handles up to 48 ports, but it should eventually do 96). After that the service reaches your home via the existing copper cable.

G.fast generally offers two primary wholesale service tiers at 160Mbps (30Mbps upload) and 330Mbps (50Mbps upload), which ISPs market using slower “average” speeds due to the advertising rules. The service also attracts a fault threshold 100Mbps, which helps to ensure that only those able to get an “ultrafast” (100Mbps+) speed will be able to order it (most of those who can’t should still be able to take VDSL2).

We should point out that G.fast is being seen as a complement to Openreach’s separate roll-out of Gigabit capable Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) technology, which is expected to cover 3 million premises by the end of 2020 and could then reach 10 million by around 2025. Crucially FTTP and G.fast will aim not to overbuild each other so as to maximise overall “ultrafast” coverage (a little bit of overlap is inevitable).

Consumers who order a G.fast line will be visited by an engineer (a self-install solution is coming) and they will most likely provide you with a new Master Socket (NTE5C) and a modem (Huawei MT992), which can be plugged into an existing router. You can also expect to pay a premium of around +£10-£15 extra per month vs the previous generation of FTTC / VDSL2 services (those offered max speeds of up to 80Mbps).

The 81 New G.fast Locations (Nov 2018 Update)

Acomb, Addiscombe, Aintree, Ascot, Bargoed (Cardiff), Barking, Barnsley, Beckenham, Beulah Hill (Croydon), Blackpool, Bootle, Bradford, Broadwell, Canonbury, Chingford, Colchester, Colindale, Dalton in Furness, Daubhill, Deal, Dover, Downloand (Croydon), Earley, Eastbourne, Eastleigh, Enfield, Faversham, Felixstowe, Feltham, Forest Hill, Godalming, Greenwich, Hamilton, Harlesden, Hatch End, Healing, Hendon, Hitchin, Hyde, Kemptown, Kentish Town, Kenton, Leicester Central, Leytonstone, Lincoln, Littlehampton, Llanrumney, Lords, Lower Holloway, Malden, Midland (Birmingham), Mill Hill, Moss Side, North Wembley, Northampton, Oldham, Pendleton, Plympton, Ponders End, Prescot, Primrose hill, Purfleet, Rainham, Rock Ferry, Rushey Green, Staylbridge, Stamford, Stoke City, Sydenham (Croydon), Teddington, Tewkesbury, Tranent (South East Scotland), Upper Holloway, Urmston (South Manchester), Wallington, Waterloo, Wembley, West Kensington, West Wickham, Willesden, Worthing Central.

Kim Mears, MD for Strategic Infrastructure Development, said:

“Currently, the UK is a world leader in digital infrastructure and services, but as the digital revolution rushes forwards and the demand for data continues to grow, we need to sure we stay ahead of the curve. That’s why we’re investing in faster, more reliable network infrastructure to facilitate all the activities we want to do now, and also those we haven’t even dreamt of doing in ten years’ time.”
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Openreach List 81 New UK Areas for G.fast Ultrafast Broadband
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 12:56:00 AM »

I noticed my council area Oldham is on the list, though I live outside of Oldham itself. I noticed a while ago on the map that the areas surrounding the council of Oldham all seemed to have some G.fast presense based on thinkbroadbands map, while the neighbouring council of Rochdale seems to have been going full steam ahead with more areas in that district becoming G.fast active.

I noticed in the article it mentions about it competing with VM based on the areas G.fast is focusing on. This may be true. But unless a VM customer is looking for Internet high speeds then unless G.fast is offering TV services then I can't actually see there being much competition. I'm thinking most people have VM for the TV packages rather than for Internet high speeds.

Though I sync around the mid 60's Mbps, I doubt I'm within range of G.fast to reach the 100Mbps minimum. I'll check it out if it appears on the dsl checker list.

Btw, do you think these areas would have had pods fitted to the cabinets already before they announced the areas and are just making them active for orders? If so then my cabinet hasnt got any pod on it yet.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 01:12:53 AM »

I did find it funny Leics getting FTTP but not g.fast but now its getting both.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 02:25:38 AM »

Even though I know G.fast is on its way, I was hoping this article would give me more information than I already have. Perhaps I would see an announcement for my area. Yet I was only disappointed, but at the same time I should not be surprised.

Btw, do you think these areas would have had pods fitted to the cabinets already before they announced the areas and are just making them active for orders? If so then my cabinet hasnt got any pod on it yet.
That's a good question. My area has never had any public announcement of G.fast coming, yet a G.fast pod was fitted to the PCP a couple of months back. Information has always been quite scarce, except for information on Roadworks.org for reshelling.

I was in Weston-super-Mare earlier this year and I think I recall the cabinet along by High St./Regent St. (I believe it to be P31, but not sure) having a G.fast pod fitted. This was before the announcement came from Openreach towards the end of June naming the next areas to have G.fast (which included Weston-super-Mare). I could be making it up (I don't have a photo to help, either), but if memory serves then it may conclude that pods may be fitted before announcements (though it may not necessary be uniform).

Anyway, going back my cabinet. According to the project manager in the area, G.fast is due to be complete midway into next year! Not so quick deploy in this instance, seeing as Openreach themselves say it typically takes 3 months to plan, fit and activate; in this case it is looking like up to around 9 months.

Edit:
To add to the above, there is at least one place I am aware of that has G.fast but has had no announcements (to my knowledge) and that is Chepstow. Pods have been fitted in that area since approx. June (could be earlier or later since I am just going off memory) and have been enabled within the last month (so it took about 4 months at best to enable the area). This is a reason to why I do not believe announcements even cover all areas.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 02:36:26 AM by re0 »
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 07:59:31 AM »

Openreach G.Fast are just a waste of time and money - should have scrap it! FTTP for all. Why do I want FTTP because :-

1)
It’s always on

There’s no go-slow with FTTP full fibre technology – just better performance, impressive speeds, zero buffering, and less drop-outs.

2)
Never lets you down

Fibre optic cables are so powerful and resilient, they’ll never degrade like copper, so you can always rely on being connected to big bandwidth wherever you are. No DLM either.

3)
Ready for anything

Be unstoppable online, on everything from phones, tablets, smart appliances, laptops, desktops, VR headsets, smart glasses - and even the heating button in your home.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 08:05:40 AM by adslmax »

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 08:10:46 AM »

Not disappointed that my area is not on the list. I sync at ~70Mb but I am 600m from cabinet, which *has* got a G.Fast pod on the side of it.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 08:52:15 AM »

I suspected someone would be upset Cuckoo Oak wasn't on the list  ;)

See if they can get these enabled in a timely fashion - the pods in my immediate area have been there for 14-15 months now and are still not live despite the checker briefly indicating they were.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 09:02:53 AM by CarlT »

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 09:15:00 AM »

To be honest I don't want G.Fast because of overpriced, unreliable and don't want it. I want Cuckoo Oak to have FTTP instead of G.Fast (well I hope so but I doubt it won't happen because OR want a cheaper G.Fast roll out) I am staying with FTTC 80/20 until FTTP.

There is no G.Fast current on the Cuckoo Oak exchange. (good riddance)

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 09:40:12 AM »

The city I live in is unfortunately listed. However, I'm outside of the supported range for G.fast so I wouldn't be able to get it even if I wanted to. Fortunately the FTTPoD order is underway (underground cabling is about to begin) so it doesn't bother me unless I happen to move to another address.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 09:45:08 AM »

Certainly agree with you on having no interest in G.fast, Mr Max. No interest in using it myself though too far from the cabinet for it anyway. Fortunately will never have a reason to have to consider it.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 09:52:18 AM »

To me it had a purpose if it was installed from nodes, not cabinets, once openreach decided to cheap out on it then all interest was lost, FTTP is what I am waiting for.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 02:52:54 PM »

To me it had a purpose if it was installed from nodes, not cabinets, once openreach decided to cheap out on it then all interest was lost, FTTP is what I am waiting for.

Same here, especially as I am really, really close to the distro point. Would easily have been 330Mbit, so now I'm either waiting for: -

1. Move house - that will be an interesting prospect, I detest new build houses, but some of them around here are now getting FTTP from the off.
2. FTTP to my current premises. I am in for a long wait with this one.

As I say, am just grateful I get 70Mb over FTTC, and I have got 2 lines, so at least get 140Mbit as it stands.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 04:22:54 PM »

1)
It’s always on

There’s no go-slow with FTTP full fibre technology – just better performance, impressive speeds, zero buffering, and less drop-outs.

2)
Never lets you down

That's from https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-first

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2018, 12:31:48 PM »

To be honest I don't want G.Fast because of overpriced, unreliable and don't want it. I want Cuckoo Oak to have FTTP instead of G.Fast (well I hope so but I doubt it won't happen because OR want a cheaper G.Fast roll out) I am staying with FTTC 80/20 until FTTP.

There is no G.Fast current on the Cuckoo Oak exchange. (good riddance)

*Sigh*

... and I'm going backwards as far as advances in technology goes.

I was:-

- On one of the first exchanges to be dsl activated as part of Ben Verwayeen's "Broadband4[exchange]" campaign.
- The first ever exchange to suffer severe contention.
- One of the first to get 2Mbps down and 800kbps up.
- One of the lucky ones to get the highest residential speed of full 24/2.6  Annex_M when BE* started rolling out LLU adsl2+
- FTTC available since Sept 2012

For years I've had a stable 80/20 with plenty to spare.

Now...   I'm syncing at 65Mbps and it would be much less if I didn't have dslstats sending me an alarm when CRCs reach a certain point...  and if I didn't use a VMG8324.

I do not have

- G.INP
- 'x' dB
- no vectoring
- no sign of g.fast but doubt I would get it due to line being >300m
- Absolutely no sign of FTTP
- No VM in the area.

Am I harping on about it all the time?   The only concession I do make is having a system set up so the modem can be remotely rebooted to stop the line being interleaved when it does its daily freak and occasionally gets stuck so DLM kicks in.
There's no point me worrying because I can't do anything about it.     

Tell me Max - honestly what do you need more speed for?   I do a heck of a lot of streaming.  I also like the higher upload because I use FTP and because of the site.   Is there anything you do that would justify the additional outlay?

Openreach G.Fast are just a waste of time and money - should have scrap it! FTTP for all. Why do I want FTTP because :-

1)
It’s always on

2)
Never lets you down
Fibre optic cables are so powerful and resilient, they’ll never degrade like copper, so you can always rely on being connected to big bandwidth wherever you are. No DLM either.

3)
Ready for anything
Be unstoppable online, on everything from phones, tablets, smart appliances, laptops, desktops, VR headsets, smart glasses - and even the heating button in your home.

Sounded scripted so thanks ejs for the link.

As regards to 1)
Your connection is already always on.   You get practically full 80Mbps which far exceeds the majority.
You wont be seeing any buffering nor do you see drop outs.

2)
The option of no DLM is nice as is the additional bandwidth.    But on the whole I think you can say that your existing connection doesn't let you down.
If you had a household full of teenage kids or working from home then yep I could see the need for higher bandwidth...  but your existing connection should enable you to easily cope with multiple HD streams. 

3)
"Ready for anything".   
Nowt new there.   I already can and do use tablets, smart appliances... and one of those that uses it to control lighting, power and heating.   
One of the reason's I'm delaying switching over routers is that I have that many smart devices and tablets etc that it would take me an eon to swap them all over. :/

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2018, 01:55:38 PM »

I've noticed that quite a few people get in to a pee'ing contest when it comes to technology when in reality it would make little difference to their lives. I see it with monitor size, and others are the same about getting the latest graphics card, the new nvidia card has features that no game actually uses yet!.

I always check my connection speed daily, I'm around the 65 range. I used to be mid 70's and for a while its easy to become a little obsessive about it, like "Where did my speed go? Why can't I get it back? What happened!?". I went through that phase too. Then I also read stories of people having engineers out and when they leave the speed is worse than before they came.

I think as long as you can do what you want to do then we should remember its about the experience of being online. If you don't experience any unusual lag spikes or buffering on your netflix, amazon prime or other video streaming service then we should be content with what we have for now.

People have to remember that even if you have a 300MB connection most of the Internet doesn't. You'll get faster downloads IF the other server can handle it. I think a high speed connection only comes in to its own if you regularly download and upload files to servers that can handle it.

For me the argument for full fibre is more the advancement of technology. All copper based products aren't great for stability for some people. So going to full fibre would reduce stability issues, and make fixing problems a lot easier. But in the meantime we're all really waiting until the fibre networks get near to where we live before we can order it. It's not really that long to wait in the big scheme of things, and in the meantime if you want to pay some money out then you can jump the queue with FTTPoD. But for me, I could afford FTTPoD but I'm waiting it out to see if native FTTP becomes available in the next couple of years. Unless my current FTTC connection suddenly becomes erratic then I'll survive.
Pages: [1] 2

anything