Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Uploading images to somewhere  (Read 3141 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Uploading images to somewhere
« on: November 24, 2018, 04:13:56 PM »

I do keep having trouble getting images parked somewhere to refer to in postings. They tend to be way too big to add to posts as attachments, and I’m not sure these days how to reduce the size without a lot of faffing about and without all the tools I used to have on my Windows NT box. Anyway of course the sensible thing to do is to stick them on the web somewhere.

I used to put images in my Flickr account, but annoyingly you can’t get a url direct to the image file, it gives you a url to some web page instead, so mistakenly using that url in the post trying to embed an image fails. I can see why, they don’t want people hotlinking in real websites.

I revived my Dropbox account and iirc I could reference image files in that directly, but I see they have now changed to be like Flickr and only give out references to webpages. Same anti-hotlinking attitude now.

Does anyone have any tips for a zero-hassle alternative?

One other thing, on occasion, I have managed to embed a pic in a post, I forget how, in the haze of pain drugs, but anyway the res if the original image was I assume really high, as when viewed in the post using ‘Preview’ the image was massive, most of it going way off the screen so you could only see a small part, and it would be a nightmare for users. I’m wondering about a really quick and easy method for taking this? Can I control this issue with forum markup? Do I need to resale it with reduced res? If so, how on an iPad, that would be the question, and I would have to experiment with apps that I have seen. And what adjusted res should I be aiming for?

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: Uploading images to somewhere
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 08:16:29 AM »

imgbb.com is what i use.
however, google would have given you many alternatives.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 12:42:57 AM »

Perfect, an excellent tip thanks to chenks - direct links, that’s the thing.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 09:21:35 AM »

For reducing image file size on an iPad, without resorting to 3rd party Apps, one option is to mail it to yourself.   The mail App offers to shrink, within the send dialogue.

For sharing photos publicly or semi-publicly, whilst I have never done so here, I tend to use Google drive.  You get 15GB for free, and can set diferrent read/write permissions for each folder you share so you can also provide a link to which other people upload, which has occasionally been useful.    Kiss goodbye to privacy though, remember this is Google. :)

anything