Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: PS4 pro or not?  (Read 2305 times)

chenks

• Kitizen
PS4 pro or not?
« on: November 23, 2018, 07:42:42 PM »

any gamers here? specifically PS4?
is the PS4 Pro worth the £100 more than the standard PS4?

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: PS4 pro or not?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 09:32:15 PM »

Depends.
My mate bought a PS4 Pro, and he has no 4k TV. That's such a waste.

If you intend on using it on a 4k display get the Pro.
For 1080P the standard PS4 is good enough.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 10:29:13 PM »

I would consider giving it a miss and going with the XBox OneX instead, and only if you've a 4k TV.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 10:41:00 AM »

nah not a fan of xbox

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 12:23:39 PM »

I dont consider it a waste on a 1080p or 1440p screen.

e.g. on FF15, on the base ps4 your only option is "almost 1080p dynamic resolution" with stuttery performance.
On a ps4 pro you can choose between a higher resolution (not full 4k I think its 1900p or something) with stuttery 30fps, or target 60fps but highly variable at 1080p, or stable 30fps at full 1080p and its not stuttery very consistent performance.  This is just one game.

Also on game's with no ps4 pro support, the boost mode can still boost performance and it will boost performance if on those games the cpu is bottlenecking, the base ps4 has 1.6ghz clocks vs 2.1 on the ps4 pro.

So no the ps4 pro is not just for 4k gaming.

Right now red dead redemption 2 bundled with a ps4 pro is a nice price, for giggles I put my base ps4 on ebay and was very surprised someone offered £175 for it with "no" games and just one controller, I took the money and brought the pro that came with a £60 game for £350.

Also I had the old base ps4, so it only had 2.4ghz wifi, and no wired controller support, my new ps4 pro has 5ghz wifi and the controller can be used in wired mode so no pairing issues to worry about.  Although I know the new ps4 slim base model has both these features as well.

xbox one x has better hardware than a ps4 pro, but the game lineup to me is underwhelming, almost all xbox one games are also released for windows, so if you have a gaming PC, there is hardly any exclusives, whilst the ps4 still has a fair range of exclusives.  So what you go for depends on yourself, but on the question, the ps4 pro does help 1080p/1440p as well.

some info here https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/ps4-pro-confirmed-games-list/

Sadly there was a forum where there was a very comprehensive list of games, and how they were enhanced on the ps4 pro, it was excellent but i have been a potato and didnt bookmark it, if I find it again, I will post the link here.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 04:29:29 PM »

Caveat that with that whether games have an eye candy or a performance mode depends on the developer, it's not an automatic function of the machine.

It will supersample down to 1080p, however often Pro updates have very little additional graphical settings over the regular version so the supersampling is about all you get.

I don't really get just not liking a particular brand, I buy whatever is better at the time, but to each their own.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 06:09:58 PM »

I don't really get just not liking a particular brand, I buy whatever is better at the time, but to each their own.

surely personal preference is allowed? or is it we must all accept what any particular persons says as gospel?
i have nothing against Microsoft as a brand, i just don't particularly like the xbox. that ok with you?
and whatever is "better" is surely subjective?

i don't really get why some people read a question in a post then give a response that wasn't asked for. I clearly asked about PS4 vs PS Pro and you're response was get an xbox. There's always one!

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 11:39:32 PM »

Calm down. I only said I didn't understand it, which I don't. I've bounced between the two throughout generations alongside Nintendo and Sega, way back when.

The X is objectively a better machine than the Pro; all about the games libraries of course.  :)

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 10:01:44 AM »

Calm down. I only said I didn't understand it, which I don't. I've bounced between the two throughout generations alongside Nintendo and Sega, way back when.

The X is objectively a better machine than the Pro; all about the games libraries of course.  :)

you don't understand personal preference? that's a worry trait to have IMO.
my point still stands that you always get someone that gives a reply that wasn't asked for. you are that person in this thread.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 11:58:23 AM »

That's kinda what happens when you post in a public forum?

Correct, I don't. I'm a bit of a Vulcan when it comes to these things :)

Anyway I apologise for the distraction. Keeping entirely to the topic I would say that I, personally, wouldn't bother. The PS4 I have underneath my TV is just fine, however we also have a Switch and I've a gaming laptop, so my requirement for a Pro is relatively minimal. If you're equally well set for gaming kit obviously the returns are diminishing, however if not then it's clearly.

If you've the cash to burn or can get a good deal the answer is easy  ;)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2018, 03:48:01 PM »

I think if you are buying a PS4 then go for the pro as you can take advantage of any games that come with additional graphical or fps features in them.

I own both the Xbox One X and the PS4 Pro. Though I think the X is a good machine and is able to stream games to the tv in pure 4k, I find the menu's clunky and the game updates seem to be bigger and take far longer to download than the PS4's.

I think at this point the Pro or the X are the only real options as the standard versions of those consoles means you'll miss out on the extra features.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 08:01:50 AM »

If you haven't bought one yet, I've noticed they are selling a 1TB Pro with RDR2 for £314. Pretty good price.
If I didn't have my standard PS4 and in the market for buying one, I would opt for the pro.
Battlefield 1 and 5 are great on it if you like FPS games. They probably look stunning on PC.