Chat > Tech Chat

PS4 pro or not?

(1/3) > >>

chenks:
any gamers here? specifically PS4?
is the PS4 Pro worth the £100 more than the standard PS4?

j0hn:
Depends.
My mate bought a PS4 Pro, and he has no 4k TV. That's such a waste.

If you intend on using it on a 4k display get the Pro.
For 1080P the standard PS4 is good enough.

niemand:
I would consider giving it a miss and going with the XBox OneX instead, and only if you've a 4k TV.

chenks:
nah not a fan of xbox

Chrysalis:
I dont consider it a waste on a 1080p or 1440p screen.

e.g. on FF15, on the base ps4 your only option is "almost 1080p dynamic resolution" with stuttery performance.
On a ps4 pro you can choose between a higher resolution (not full 4k I think its 1900p or something) with stuttery 30fps, or target 60fps but highly variable at 1080p, or stable 30fps at full 1080p and its not stuttery very consistent performance.  This is just one game.

Also on game's with no ps4 pro support, the boost mode can still boost performance and it will boost performance if on those games the cpu is bottlenecking, the base ps4 has 1.6ghz clocks vs 2.1 on the ps4 pro.

So no the ps4 pro is not just for 4k gaming.

Right now red dead redemption 2 bundled with a ps4 pro is a nice price, for giggles I put my base ps4 on ebay and was very surprised someone offered £175 for it with "no" games and just one controller, I took the money and brought the pro that came with a £60 game for £350.

Also I had the old base ps4, so it only had 2.4ghz wifi, and no wired controller support, my new ps4 pro has 5ghz wifi and the controller can be used in wired mode so no pairing issues to worry about.  Although I know the new ps4 slim base model has both these features as well.

xbox one x has better hardware than a ps4 pro, but the game lineup to me is underwhelming, almost all xbox one games are also released for windows, so if you have a gaming PC, there is hardly any exclusives, whilst the ps4 still has a fair range of exclusives.  So what you go for depends on yourself, but on the question, the ps4 pro does help 1080p/1440p as well.

some info here https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/ps4-pro-confirmed-games-list/

Sadly there was a forum where there was a very comprehensive list of games, and how they were enhanced on the ps4 pro, it was excellent but i have been a potato and didnt bookmark it, if I find it again, I will post the link here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version