Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: IPv6 addresses and domain names  (Read 2293 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
IPv6 addresses and domain names
« on: November 02, 2018, 01:26:25 PM »

How do I associate domain names with the IPv6 addresses of machines on my LAN? And get PTR lookups of IPv6 addresses to work too.

I can’t set static IPv6 addresses, the machines don’t have facilities to set them up anyway. I can’t think of a way of tracking the addresses and then publishing them. Am I missing something obvious?

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
Re: IPv6 addresses and domain names
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 08:05:24 PM »

Are you creating AAAA records and not A records?
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 01:38:28 PM »

You can setup sticky DHCP records, that link to DUID and the like.
Or static IPV6, I dont know of any OS that doesnt support static IPV6.

As dee.jay mentioned you use AAAA records to point a host name to an IPV6.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 02:18:06 AM »

My iPads for instance generate random IPv6 addresses (based on the global, routable prefix advertised to them) and I don’t know of a way of arranging for domain names to automatically match these addresses. I don’t know if iPads can speak RFC 2136 (be clients) and register names. I have a local caching relay dns server in the Firebrick but it doesn’t accept RFC 2136 registrations anyway.

Perhaps I need the Firebrick to do LLMNR and/or mDNS if it gets a query relating to the local lan (a single label or with a special this-subnet dns suffix) that it doesn’t understand ? Or I need the iPads and everything else to just use mDNS and LLMNR for name resolution alongside DNS.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 09:59:43 AM »

yeah ios seems stupid i cannot find a way to change the behaviour ill look again when back on desktop

ios is designed for consumer client use and typically consumer ipv6 has no hostname associated, as it doesnt need it

also do aaisp delegate or add control of ptr to you? you need that to edit reverse DNS
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 10:03:48 AM by Chrysalis »

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 10:39:59 AM »

Hi

Chrysalis is correct for ptr so if not delegated to you for full control, you need to ask aaisp to set a ptr

The question is why would you want a ptr and/or AAAA dns record public for a mobile device, using its usually permanent ipv6 address.

If you check your ipv6 from settings, Wi-Fi information, at the bottom should be 3 ipv6 addresses

1 is usually permanent and contains your device Mac addrsss

1 is a privacy ipv6 used for showing outside world your ipv6 address - this changes

1 is normally local-link

You would use the Mac associatiated ipv6

I would advice you do not create any public records for this ipv6 address

Many thanks

John

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 05:35:59 AM »

AA does allow you to set PTR lookup up correctly. All I was wanting here though is a way to address boxes within the current LAN by name, maybe (short) domain name over IPv6. But unless mDNS or similar works, nothing is registering with any server, as far as I know. Microsoft boxes have LLMNR I believe, as it’s mentioned in a Microsoft IPv6 tome.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 01:26:23 PM »

If its for internal use, then DHCP/DNS LAN servers can provide internal resolvable names on ipv6.  Thats the route you should take.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 01:23:58 AM »

Chrys, are you thinking about a dhcpv6 server? Iirc you can advertise in an RA an instruction that client machines are supposed to do dhcp6 or else they will get a ticking off or something. Unfortunately the Firebrick doesn’t do DHCPv6 server is it would have to mean getting the damned Raspberry Pi to work and giving it that job. I wonder if the likes of iPads would obey though, would they consent to do everything under the rule of DHCPv6?

Wondering if some systems would still make up a mixture if some addresses that are DHCPv6 assigned and some that are any old thing, MAC-based or random or whatever.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 07:59:38 AM »

yeah dhcpv6, plain dhcp is for ipv4.

So on my setup, the dhcp server picks up the microsoft network name, and then is able to also pass it onto the dns server which registers it so its resolvable by any machine on the lan.

I got no experience with ios or firebrick's tho.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 02:15:06 AM »

The Firebrick is set up to create dns names according to every name a DHCP (IPv4) client uses. Doesn’t help in the slightest though with IPv6 as the Brick doesn’t do DHCPv6 and I don’t know if iOS machines would obey DHCPv6 anyway.

anything