Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Wholesale Broadband Checker Adds Observed Speeds Data  (Read 1822 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
BT Wholesale Broadband Checker Adds Observed Speeds Data
« on: November 21, 2018, 10:24:19 AM »

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/11/bt-wholesale-broadband-checker-adds-observed-speeds-data.html

The official BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker (only applicable to ISPs and services on Openreach’s UK network) has received another small but interesting update, which adds a couple of new rows and columns in order to display “observed speeds” for your line.

We weren’t originally going to cover this, but enough people have been emailing in over the past week that we now think it’s worth mentioning. In addition, some people appear to be confused about the different measurements of speed being displayed in the new BTWholesale output.

At the time of writing we’re still awaiting an official statement on the output, but we believe that the new “observed speed” (downstream and upstream) figures relate to Ofcom’s new 2018 Voluntary Code of Practice (CoP) for broadband ISP speeds, which is due to be introduced from March 2019. We know that BT Wholesale planned to make related changes on 17th November and that’s when these were spotted.

The checker normally only returns rough estimates based on the operator’s understanding of the line itself, while the new “observed speed” output appears to display a “sync” speed for copper (ADSL2+) and hybrid fibre (FTTC) broadband lines (i.e. the connection speed delivered up to your home router / modem). A sync speed will thus also reflect any weaknesses in your home wiring, which can slow down your connection.

The extra data is intended, we believe, to help support ISPs as they implement Ofcom’s new code. The code itself requires signatories (BT, Sky Broadband, TalkTalk etc.) to display more detail on their personal estimates of broadband speed when you sign-up to a new provider. Member ISPs are thus required to test the actual speeds of a statistically meaningful panel of customers on each broadband package during peak time.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

aesmith

• Kitizen
Re: BT Wholesale Broadband Checker Adds Observed Speeds Data
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 07:15:17 PM »

I've noticed that the reported parameter "Max Observed Downstream Speed (Mbps)" is in typical BT style not in fact the maximum as understood by any normal person.  For example our own line when I looked in March gave a maximum of 4.45 observed on 12 March.  Now it gives a max of 3.35 observed on 12th April.   Same for one of our neighbours' numbers, previous max was a bit over 5 meg, now it's saying 3.88.   So does it mean "max in the current 28 day period" or some other special meaning?

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 07:36:19 PM »

For me there is nothing "max" about it.  It seems to be the observed speed at the date specified.

I could be completely wrong as i rarely resynchronize apart from a recent reduction in speed due to a 7 day period whilst interleaving was applied the figure appears to quickly update to the lower speed and again go back to the higher figure just as quickly.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 08:01:58 PM »

I can't say I checked it day by day, but I looked a few times hoping that our true maximum rate of 4.7 would be logged.  Not so apparently.  I was hopeful because it originally looked like an actual BT figure I could point to next time they throw their "estimated speed" in my face as an excuse not to fix something.

anything