Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone use a front door security system?  (Read 8665 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Anyone use a front door security system?
« on: November 19, 2018, 04:07:34 PM »

I'm looking to setup some kind of system because the foot door is a black spot. I have cctv cameras around the outside of the house. But I don't have anyway to communicate to them at the door.

I thought of just plugging in another camera at the door but I wouldnt have audio.

I've looked at the Ring company. Their product looks good until I noticed they require a subscription to save any footage.

Does anyone else have a door system and any recommendations?

I guess for me in this situation means I probably need to focus on the audio side rather than video, as I have the video covered by other cameras.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Anyone use a front door security system?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 08:16:47 PM »

You can get CCTV camera's with two way audio, would something like that be suitable?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Deathstar

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 08:36:57 PM »

I have been thinking about something like this. My front door is recessed, do I could use it outside as it would be protected from the rain.

https://uk.humaxdigital.com/product/humaxeye/

How responsive the unit is I don't know.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 08:46:24 PM by Deathstar »
VMG1312-B10A Bridge Mode to ASUS DSLAC68U

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 08:41:21 PM »

indoor use only by the looks of it.
i assumed you were looking for something external?

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 05:26:53 AM »

I have been looking at this also, personally I think the Nest Hello looks pretty good, we have a Nest thermostat which is excellent and I like the idea of the Nest door lock also.

C

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 05:39:34 AM »

I have been looking into this too. My wife would like to know when visitors arrive. I would also like Janet to be able to keep an eye on me while I am in bed, in case I get into big trouble, bad pain or can’t call for help. I wanted something with two way communication so I could talk to her.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 02:37:00 PM »

I have a swann system at the moment with 3 cameras. Its an NVR so its all done with PoE connections.

The thing is, though the software mentions about audio I dont think there is audio on the camera. If there had been I could have added another camera and had that setup at the door.

So I'll probably need something else.

I don't even need the camera part or a door bell. Just something to let me talk and hear what they say.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 11:05:02 PM »

I ended up getting the ZOSI wire free battery security camera for £79.99. I bought mine from Amazon.

This is a video from a guy setting one up;

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOLC7ElpWQ0[/youtube]

ZOSI 100% Wire Free Battery Security Camera

I've had the camera for about 2 weeks. It was easy to setup. Audio is clear. The video quality is 720p does the job. It has both day and night vision.

One of the things I like about the camera is that when you need to recharge the battery the camera holder is a magnatised ball. So you can lift it off the holder and easily take it indoors to charge up via a mini usb charger cable. A previous camera I had a while ago I had to unscrew the panel and slide the battery out while the device was still screwed to the wall.

I'm usually not a big fan of wifi but this is near my router (one wall between them) so the wifi only drops to 96% on a bad day. Usually its bouncing between 98 and 100% strength.

The phone app as so far been pretty simple to setup and use. If you follow the instructions on the video you'll be up and running in less than a couple of minutes.

One thing to note is you have to buy a micro sd card in order for it to save the footage.

Anyways thought I'd just update.  :)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 01:36:19 PM »

Re..."One of the things I like about the camera is that when you need to recharge the battery the camera holder is a magnatised ball. So you can lift it off the holder and easily take it indoors"
What is stopping a undesirable person taking it off and away. ?
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 07:30:38 PM »

I’m not sold on the idea of the Ring-style doorbells.  It just seems odd to remotely talk to someone via a box on the wall.  And I don’t need a doorbell with a subscription service.

However, I like the look of the UniFi camera range.  Good specs, design and purely local software.  I’ve been thoroughly impressed with their WiFi access points.

I might consider a Nest camera or two inside the house. We’ve got a Nest thermostat and two Nest Protect smoke/CO detectors which are great and work very well together. If we had the cameras, if either smoke alarm goes off, it’ll automatically display the camera feeds alongside the warning.  Quite nifty.
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2023, 10:27:06 AM »

I ended up getting the Zosi brand which has video and audio so I can talk to them.

The one I bought earlier in the thread broke. So I had to get another more up to date version. So far so good.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2023, 01:10:31 AM »

For me the fact everything has moved to "smart" devices is actually a problem.  I need an intercom my mum can use WITHOUT her phone, as when she is woken up by someone at the door she can barely see and her hands wont work properly to operate her phone.

My Hikvision camera already has two-way audio but cannot be used as its only with the smartphone app.  Also the NVR is junk and refusing to record audio, even though its enabled.  Its why I'd never recommend Hikvision as they seem to be grossly under-specced NVRs running on ancient software/hardware, which given it supports 4K and H265 I was not expecting it to be so outdated.  They only recently upgraded the OS on mine to support modern browsers and it still only works on Windows using a sketchy third-party plugin.

It also set the cameras passwords automatically and is SUPPOSED to use the NVR password, but it hasn't.  So migrating them to a newer unit would be a real PITA as you have to contact Hikvision support to reset the passwords.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2023, 09:46:01 AM »

I'd have concerns about security with all these Chinese makes like Hikvision and others, including EUFY, and especially if a brand name is unknown. You simply don't know where the feed ends up and how it's used later.

Although not perfect (firmware sometimes broken etc), Arlo is a good solution. Their Ultra and Ultra 2 can record locally (to an SD card), as well as some previous models like Pro 3. I believe that their video doorbell has this option now, too, while the audio doorbell that they once offered records to the cloud for free, plus it's very small, unlike many video doorbells out there. A secure VPN connection to your network then allows access to local recordings remotely, if you don't want to pay for cloud storage. 

Although Arlo has recently introduced an end to, but then backtracked from it in relation to, their free 7 cloud storage for older models (see the press coverage), Arlo Pro 2, probably available on eBay as many now are getting rid of it because of what Arlo had said they'd do, is still an option to be considered.

I have an experience of using Arlo HD (original Netgear product), Pro 2 and Ultra, and all ultimately are very good in deterring as well as serving as a proof for acts of criminality, not to mention an opportunity to admire nightlife (foxes, cats, bats, deer etc), or catching a neighbour filling your bin with their stuff.

For a monthly fee, there's all sorts of extras like package detection etc., though this is not available for all cameras.

Arlo's doorbells work in the same way.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 09:59:15 AM by Edinburgh_lad »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2023, 01:35:58 AM »

I'd have concerns about security with all these Chinese makes like Hikvision and others, including EUFY, and especially if a brand name is unknown. You simply don't know where the feed ends up and how it's used later.

That's why the Hikvision I have is a plain CCTV system, it needs no Internet connection to work.  Cameras can be viewed in VLC directly, settings can be edited without the plugins (they are just to make playback/live feed work).  Exporting recordings can be done from the DVR itself to a USB stick.  So its cumbersome, but avoids any third-party apps or plugins.

Of course, that would be great, if it worked correctly.

Prior to that I just used an IP camera recording to my server using vlc.  I could probably go back to that if necessary, but I'd rather have a dedicated box doing the recording.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2023, 12:19:29 PM »

That's why the Hikvision I have is a plain CCTV system, it needs no Internet connection to work.  Cameras can be viewed in VLC directly, settings can be edited without the plugins (they are just to make playback/live feed work).  Exporting recordings can be done from the DVR itself to a USB stick.  So its cumbersome, but avoids any third-party apps or plugins.

I have a Swann CCTV system, which I think is a rebrand off Hikvision. I don't mind the idea of NVR. But yea the PoE can be a pain in the butt. One of my cameras is down because of that.

On the VLC. What settings do you change? I can only get an old version (3.0.2) of VLC to work to view them. I change the Demux from Automatic to either H.265 or H264 and it works. But on newer versions of VLC it doesn't work for me. Do you change any other settings?

From the VLC forums I've noticed when viewing CCTV playback it seems to be hit and miss for many people. Some versions work for some people while others work for other people. I'm sure there is a setting I'm missing to make it work on a newer version of VLC.
Pages: [1] 2