Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Why Starlink is doomed to fail  (Read 13106 times)

celso

Re: Why Starlink is doomed to fail
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2022, 06:03:30 PM »

What about Tesla trucks that never were manufactured?

Some news:

"Tesla finally delivers first electric Semi to Pepsi after years of delay"
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2022/12/tesla-ships-first-electric-semi-but-price-and-efficiency-data-still-unknown/

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2022, 10:30:47 AM »

The comments are quite interesting.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

celso

« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2022, 09:02:04 PM »

I usually avoid the comments section of articles about "hot topics" (it's a waste of time...), but there are good comments there.

Let's see if they actually start mass producing them in 2023. The factory (Texas) should be ready.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 09:04:41 PM by celso »

celso

« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2022, 09:19:50 PM »

An article from ISPReview about a launch of experimental satellites and some details about v2:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/12/spacex-launch-first-starlink-v2-leo-ultrafast-broadband-satellites.html

The Revised GEN2 Form Factors

Bus F9-1 – similar to GEN1, albeit with some GEN2 features (c. 300kg)

Bus F9-2 (“V2 mini“) – adds more solar and bandwidth etc. (c. 800kg)

Bus Starship – the big full-featured GEN2 (possibly up to 2,000kg)

This is why I think it's wrong to use current satellite capacity to predict how much traffic Starlink can handle in the future.

celso

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2023, 07:56:28 PM »

@Alex, this was trending on Hacker News, so sharing it here too as we talked about it before:

CNBC: "SpaceX no longer taking losses to produce Starlink satellite antennas, a key step to improving profitability"

"[...]

“We were subsidizing terminals but we’ve been iterating on our terminal production so much that we’re no longer subsidizing terminals, which is a good place to be,” Jonathan Hofeller, SpaceX vice president of Starlink and commercial sales, said during a panel at the World Satellite Business Week conference.

[...]

When SpaceX first began selling its Starlink service, company leadership said the terminals cost about $3,000 each to manufacture. The company improved that to about $1,300 per terminal by early 2021, and Hofeller’s comments on Wednesday indicate the terminals now cost less than $600 each to make – mass production savings that Hofeller credited as “one of our keys to success.”

[...]

SpaceX President and COO Gwynne Shotwell said earlier this year that Starlink “had a cash flow positive quarter” in 2022. The overall company reportedly turned a profit in the first quarter of 2023.

[...]
"

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2023, 10:32:47 PM »

Outside of last nights outage, I can't say I've had a single problem with Starlink yet. Regularly gives me over 300Mbps when doing downloads. Yes, the latency is higher, but for my applications can't say it's been a problem. Very pleased with it.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

celso

« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2023, 02:28:46 PM »

Outside of last nights outage, I can't say I've had a single problem with Starlink yet. Regularly gives me over 300Mbps when doing downloads. Yes, the latency is higher, but for my applications can't say it's been a problem. Very pleased with it.

I've never used it, but it does seem to be a good option for some people.

Have you looked at 5G, assuming it's available? I can get up to 350Mbps with EE (everyone else is really bad) and even the 100Mbps I get during peak hours is faster than my FTTC, but there are some latency spikes and the 600GB fair use policy would de-prioritize me for part of the month... so I still use FTTC. Not the fastest connection, but at least it's stable.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2023, 01:26:38 PM »

no 5G here, only 4G, but it isn't too bad. Just testing with my cell phone at my desk and receiving 85Mbps down.

Really ought to test with an external antenna.

Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2023, 09:12:01 PM »

Some of that info is quite scary.

1) That Musk was pivot point,  The amount of power pleaced in his hands.  As regards to his actions,   Its am extreme damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. His action decides the fate of a military invasion.   Its supposedly made him unpopular because he didnt act.   
But if he had, then he is taking sides? Havent we all screamed about the amount of power Huawei has and if they could be influenced by China. 

) "Starlink today is the backbone of the Ukrainian military. It is still the only one that's effective at the front lines.".
"Starlink is not designed or intended for use with or in offensive or defensive weaponry or other comparable end-uses" it was used extensively by the Ukrainian military.

I mean, who reads those terms of service things anyway?

Exactly.  But I#m pretty sure it would break the ToS   :no:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

anything