Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Strange happening on my W7 system today  (Read 23972 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Strange happening on my W7 system today
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2018, 10:55:13 AM »

When I upgraded my PC and migrated the install across, I had to reactivate over the phone but was fully automated.  I had to key in a long code and then it activated.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 11:06:34 AM »

When I upgraded my PC and migrated the install across, I had to reactivate over the phone but was fully automated.  I had to key in a long code and then it activated.

Eventually I managed that option but it failed to recognise the numbers I keyed.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2018, 11:13:29 AM »

your key is blacklisted then

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2018, 11:15:37 AM »

Yes but why after all this time? I've been using it for probably a couple of years before now.

Stuart

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2018, 12:40:24 PM »

you'd need to ask microsoft that.
either it was a fake key to begin with and they've finally blocked it, or someone else has got a hold of it and used it.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2018, 01:36:09 PM »

here you go, key may not be fully legit, but is cheap.

https://www.kinguin.net/category/13816/windows-7-professional-oem-key-sp1/

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2018, 01:39:50 PM »

that's an OEM key, so 100% not legit if not bought with supporting hardware.
also, they advise to use telephone activation, which would be a red flag. if the key was legit then there should be no reason to use the normal activation process.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2018, 01:40:54 PM »

here you go, key may not be fully legit, but is cheap.

https://www.kinguin.net/category/13816/windows-7-professional-oem-key-sp1/

Nice idea but I only have home premium.

Stuart

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2018, 01:41:52 PM »

Not legal, but by legit I meant it would activate and not be blocked, I still use my technet keys which are only supposed to be used for testing ;)  Microsoft dont block oem keys for these reasons, if a key is blocked its usually because of duplicated use, not generated by themselves or been registered in the wrong country.

I agree tho that the fact they advise telephone activation is a red flag.  Maybe its where he got his first key from? hmmm.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 01:44:19 PM by Chrysalis »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2018, 01:42:32 PM »

Nice idea but I only have home premium.

Stuart

Well they would have home premium keys as well and a pro key would still work it would upgrade you to pro.

Where did you get the first key from?

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2018, 06:18:22 PM »

Have you used the MGAdiag program to confirm the key?
could you post the first ten lines

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=203456
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 06:24:54 PM by parkdale »
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2018, 01:01:44 AM »

that's an OEM key, so 100% not legit if not bought with supporting hardware.
also, they advise to use telephone activation, which would be a red flag. if the key was legit then there should be no reason to use the normal activation process.

It's not that straight forward though.

eBay have shifted policy on these and allow OEM keys without hardware. Sellers selling OEM keys usually have a silly note saying the broken hardware that matches the OEM key can be sent upon request.
I highly doubt the sellers who pop up with 1000 OEM keys have 1000 mobo's next to them.

That page has a legal note

Legal Note:
OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) versions offer the buyer the huge advantage of purchasing the same software at a significantly lower price. In Germany, the purchase, distribution and use of OEM versions is completely legal. In other words, trading of OEM versions even without hardware is legally permitted.

The Federal Court ruling allowed the sale of OEM versions and DSP versions without associated hardware.

As a result of this ruling, you may install and use this version on any computer. This is documented in the judgment of the Federal Court of Justice of 06.07.2000 - I ZR 244/97, and states: In the judgment of 6 July 2000 ruled the Federal High Court (BGH) that the exhaustion principle can not be undermined by license provisions of the manufacturers (Az I ZR 244/97 - OEM Decision - Judgment in GRUR 2001, 153).

At that time Microsoft complained against the resale of so-called OEM software, which was contractually tied to new hardware at the time of sale, but had been brought into isolation by the intermediate dealer. The lawsuit was dismissed. The BGH stated in its judgment that the retransmission is free due to the exhaustion of the copyright distribution right.

The specified brand is copyrighted and is used here only for product description.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2018, 08:25:07 AM »

eBay have shifted policy on these and allow OEM keys without hardware. Sellers selling OEM keys usually have a silly note saying the broken hardware that matches the OEM key can be sent upon request.
I highly doubt the sellers who pop up with 1000 OEM keys have 1000 mobo's next to them.

ebay can say what they want though, but it's not their rules to make up or change.
it's microsoft that make the rules.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2018, 05:53:07 PM »

Do you connect the PC to the internet and then visit any websites? Do you ever receive any emails? If so there is EVERY reason to keep it updated!

This is absolutely correct. I work for a company in the cyber security industry and this statement is - spot on.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by pfSense on proxmox
AAISP FTTP on order...

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2018, 05:55:16 PM »

OEM keys also rely upon a hardware string in the BIOS - this generally only applies to big box builder computers, such as if you buy a laptop from Dell, HP or whoever.

If you have a custom built PC then you'd need your own key. I don't think OEM's will activate on non OEM kit. Though, it's been many years since I've even needed a key, I just use Windows 10 and I keep shoving my old Windows 8 keys I bought at it (Got them for £15 each!) and it keeps working.

Though, ultimately, I want to get away from Windows, one day............ no more keys to ever have to worry about then! :)
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by pfSense on proxmox
AAISP FTTP on order...
Pages: 1 [2] 3