Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Speed testers - yet again, groan - thinkbroadband ‘special’  (Read 4478 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Speed testers - yet again, groan - thinkbroadband ‘special’
« on: November 16, 2018, 02:22:29 AM »

Buried in the thinkbroadband website there is a page that says
For those who want to run a test that is more sensitive to provider congestion try this special test version.

The words ‘special test version’ form a link.

When I tried this, I found that the upload test result from the normal tester was horrendously inaccurate, under-reporting by 50%. It gave me an upload figure of 0.6 - 0.8 Mbps where’s the truth is around 1.5 Mbps, but when I chose the special test version mysteriously the upload figure was then roughly correct, reporting 1.6 Mbps for IPv4 upload, which I think is exaggerated a little.

So it seems that the special test version whatever that means is the one to go for because the normal one is utterly broken. Don’t know what on earth they are doing when one version of the tester can come out with numbers that are more than double those reported by another version, supposedly measuring the same thing.

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: Speed testers - yet again, groan - thinkbroadband ‘special’
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 07:45:26 AM »

Curiosity led me to try their use, but I never, hardly unusual, worked out how to use them with IPV4.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 10:10:12 AM »

Doesn't that test just run one thread, as opposed to the usual test which will also use x6.

Single thread tests are quite rare as most speed testers tend to use multi-threaded.   
Single thread speedtests are much better to diagnose congestion issues, whereas you would expect a multi threaded test to show near max throughput even if the SP has some slight congestion.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 10:23:50 AM »

I personally just do lots of transfers from actual hosts on the internet.

I have a host I can download 1 or many files at once from. Hence single vs threaded.

I am starting to really detest "speed testers". They are completely synthetic.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 10:35:45 AM »

Hi

I believe this has been covered many times previously

I also think most hosting is multithreaded so a single thread test is rare, and whilst it may show congestion it does not mean your connection is slower, due to multithreaded hosting.

Also, to me it is pointless to test to see if you have full bandwidth throughout the internet, your correct bandwidth is shown between your connection to your SP and that does not mean you attain this throughout the Internet due to once your connection leaves your SP networks, the SP has no control over other networks.

So my best advise to measure throughput (not connected speed) is to use the same Speedtest site for comparison to all tests you make, as throughput is fluid and there are many different reasons for speed variations, such as your computer, anywhere between you and the test site and the test site resources etc...

I would advice not to get fixated over throughput speed as it is fluid

Many thanks

John

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 07:36:12 AM »

It is indeed good advice to use relative assessments within a single speedtester.

The ‘special’ tester cannot just be single threaded, from the graphs that it shows and the fact that the downstream test results for the single threaded test in the normal case were very different to the multi-thread case and both these numbers were also reported in the ‘special’ results.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 11:32:14 AM »

The thinkbroadband tester is the one to go back to because it runs separate single and multi threaded tests - it's the difference between the two that can be the most informative.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 12:30:33 PM »

d2d4j you sound like an isp spokesperson ;)

I wouldnt consider single threaded throughput as "rare".

Streaming services are the biggest legal consumption of bandwidth, and you know how many threads streaming services use? One.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 01:21:11 PM »

It's very unusual for streaming to use all a lines bandwidth, especially for people on fibre or cable, so until single threaded drops below the speed needed for streaming, the result of a single threaded test isn't all that relevant. When it does the difference between the single and multi is then highly significant. That's why I stick to the TBB test - it covers all angles.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 02:58:07 PM »

I am assuming that ‘streaming’ means live real-time video, not pre-sent, saved and delivered from gigantic buffer or a file and I assume that that means a fixed-rate protocol other than TCP?

So the techniques used by this speedtester presumably involve TCP, and therefore are not the same at all ?

When I look at stuff on Netflix or Amazon these services seem to pick some fixed rate which I assume is chosen according to the quality level, image size and res it has chosen, and then the server just sends data at that constant rate. In my particular experience the rate is way below the capacity of my pipe. It might be 3, 4 or 6 Mbps on my 10Mbps pipe. It isn’t trying to get anywhere near maxing out my link, that would make no sense unless it was trying to get maximum quality and match that to the pipe capacity, but then there would be a constant risk of failure if the link got busy it if there were errors so it would be madness and the only safe way is to run with a substantial buffer and at a rate well below that of the link.

When the services are offering downloads, these are best-effort max speed protocols, so probably TCP. The services I am familiar with such as Netflix appear to run several TCP connections at once, as they download multiple episodes of a series simultaneously, for example. Having multiple TCP connections on the go simultaneously is a good way of maxing out the link because if one TCP connections stalls, faltering for a while because of packet loss, then another will doubtless take advantage or at least will certainly be going ahead unaffected, so it counters the temporary speed loss by ensuring that at least something is always making progress. I have seen four transfers with movie download, and many more parallel transfers with FTP clients. Another reason that it is done could be to help in cases like my own, where the risk of packet reordering is a problem, because I have multiple physical pipes. Users with high latency may be helped by the multiple transfer strategy too, if the TCP implementations are not well tuned so as to use large windows keeping enough data in flight so that the link is completely filled with data at all times. In the ‘water pipe’ analogy, the pipe needs to be filled with water (data) and have ‘no air bubbles’ (time periods where there are gaps in the data in transit ).

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 04:08:08 PM »

Hi

@chrysalis, sorry no, we are not an ISP however we attained ESP status in the 90's and have maintained ESP ever since

I have just run the tests at TBB, for http and https, with results that surprised me slightly, as https I would not expect to be as low, but then there are a lot of known/unknown systems inbetween

My advise still remains as is though

Many thanks

John

T

http

https

FTTC 80/20

https

http

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 04:51:48 PM »

It's very unusual for streaming to use all a lines bandwidth, especially for people on fibre or cable, so until single threaded drops below the speed needed for streaming, the result of a single threaded test isn't all that relevant. When it does the difference between the single and multi is then highly significant. That's why I stick to the TBB test - it covers all angles.

True you dont need 100s of mbits of second to stream, but I felt the need to point out it is single threaded.  Some people get really low single threaded results below 10mbit/sec at which point streaming could be affected.

Personally if I see a big difference between single and multi threaded I will investigate it on my connection, with that said I havent ran a tbb speedtest for several months now, normally I would only run one if I notice bad performance on my connection or following a discussion on it.

Http downloads are also single threaded without a download manager and e.g. Microsoft still distribute their software over http(s).

FTP also single threaded by default.

Now do I agree with johns and yours advice? Yes and No, I feel its a way to shut people up and turn them away from reporting potential congestion, but if you have a really fast connection in the 100s of mbits/sec and single threaded is still above 50mbit/sec then it probably isnt a big issue.

e.g. I wouldnt be happy with the speedtest John just posted, single threaded of 10mbps followed by 17mps, pretty poor figures.

With all this said I feel tbb is still one of the best speedtesters out there, but you should never just rely on one single speedtest, as a transit/peering issue or server side problem could cause results on that test that are not relevant to other parts of the internet, other tests that support single stream are dslreports speedtest and speedof.me.

Bear in mind tho that slow single threaded can also be down to bad network equipment or bad network configuration as well.  If its one of these tho I would expect the problem 24/7.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 04:56:41 PM by Chrysalis »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2018, 05:03:08 PM »

I really don't attach much relevance to the comparison of results from different throughput speed testers . . .

However, here is yet another one to add to the list.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 05:08:47 PM »

not a fan of that test is multi threaded :(

well since we discussing it I ran the "special" test A/A on quality (latency during test) - Quality 0.10 (A) is better than average 0.47 (A) for VDSL2/FTTC

« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 05:13:08 PM by Chrysalis »

underzone

• Reg Member
Pages: [1] 2