Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Some expert advice please  (Read 2445 times)

Rumik

• Just arrived
Some expert advice please
« on: November 15, 2018, 10:11:40 AM »

Hi everyone,

I’m a PlusNet Unlimted Fibre Extra customer and I’m looking for a replacement solution to the provided router as it’s... well... you know.

I have an Asus RT-AC87U router that I was very happy with my previous supplier, but obviously it doesn’t have a built-in modem. So I’m looking for a PlusNet Fibre compatable modem. I’ve seen the Openreach modem recommended in the PlusNet forums but thought I’d reach out here to see what people think. Looking to spend as little as possible really, hence not just buying a combined modem/router :)

Thanks!

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Some expert advice please
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 10:19:49 AM »

Welcome to the forums.

If you want as cheap possible then a Huawei HG612 will probably be the cheapest option, just hook it up to the WAN port of your Asus

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132845017209
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Rumik

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 10:20:27 AM »

That was easy! Thanks :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 10:25:43 AM »

And that was an extremely quick reply.

The one I linked to is unlocked so you will be able to get stats.

There are other options for modems that may give better sync speeds, but not sure on the cost or model numbers, I'm sure someone else will post.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 10:33:16 AM »

Zyxel VMG1312-B10A is another option, if you can find one for a reasonable price on ebay. Would then just put it in bridge mode.

Edit: Having just looked on ebay, there’s only one on there that’s an ok price, the one in France. They do pop up occasionally from the UK at sensible prices.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 10:40:18 AM by Jon21 »

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 12:02:49 PM »

The venerable HG612 will likely serve you well, but are you aware if you are syncing at the max for your package?

I assume PN unlimited fibre extra means full 80/20, if you are at a sync speed less than this then we can go down the rabbit hole of modems that might offer you some increased speeds depending on various factors.

Rumik

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 12:28:52 PM »

Interesting! Any idea how I would check what I’m syncing at, and what the max for my package is?

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 12:43:48 PM »

At the most basic level, what speed to you get in tests? When you log into the plusnet hub does it offer any indication of sync speeds?

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 01:08:29 PM »

@Rumik

You may already be aware that there is a basic stat's monitoring utility available here:

http://vwlowen.co.uk/RouterStatsHub/routerstatshub.htm

It's for the BT HH 5A (the PN Hub One being a re-badged HH 5A) see additional configuration notes for the PN Hub One provided within the link.
The utility is very easily configured and gives basic router parameters within the limitations of the non-Broadcom chip set used by the HH 5A/Hub One and can certainly act as an interim measure until you decide on a Broadcom chip set based modem/router which will work with utilities such as DSLStats and give full stat's access.

BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 02:11:36 PM »

There were two in France in eBay, I just bought the cheaper one and didn’t get the one linked too. Unfortunately they tend to be ridiculous prices as they are so highly desired.

Consensus is that the -10D is not as good as an ADSL modem (VDSL2 modem too?).

Are the 8-series any less good than the VMG 1312-B10A ?

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 05:54:35 PM »

gives basic router parameters within the limitations of the non-Broadcom chip set used by the HH 5A/Hub One

The chip set is not the limiting factor for stats provision. The router firmware doesn't give access to the data, and therefore no one has written a stats program for them. Had the ECI modem been easier to unlock, things might have been different.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 06:58:43 PM »

The chip set is not the limiting factor for stats provision. The router firmware doesn't give access to the data, and therefore no one has written a stats program for them. Had the ECI modem been easier to unlock, things might have been different.

Fair comment.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 07:52:52 AM »

If it were me I'd just get a HG612 and be done. I tried experimenting with different ones, but it ended up being a waste of time/money*

*Your experience may be a lot different but I lost 2Mb downstream changing from the 612.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox