Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: what security software for Windows 10?  (Read 9281 times)

bob.gas

• Reg Member
what security software for Windows 10?
« on: November 14, 2018, 02:29:26 PM »

As title.....
What security software are you all using for windows 10 please?
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'#039#039re a mile away and you have their shoes

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: what security software for Windows 10?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 06:36:14 PM »

the stuff that comes built-in with windows 10.
no need for anything else.
that and common sense does the job.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 08:59:24 PM »

At the end of the day Windows defender and a good backup plan....
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 06:25:15 AM »

I certainly wouldn't be relying on Windows Defender and common sense, that's just asking for trouble, better than nothing but there are better options.

In independent tests Windows Defender detects less viruses than good free antivirus protection, and as for common sense a lot of computer uses don't have it. My wife recently clicked a link that was highly suspect and luckily blocked by Avast, my children are a bit better.

https://www.alphr.com/security/6745/best-free-antivirus?amp
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 08:06:23 AM »

Thanks for the input guys.
I have Avast, Malwarebytes and Super antivirus, so probably stick with that for now.
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'#039#039re a mile away and you have their shoes

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 09:02:51 AM »

I certainly wouldn't be relying on Windows Defender and common sense, that's just asking for trouble, better than nothing but there are better options.

In independent tests Windows Defender detects less viruses than good free antivirus protection, and as for common sense a lot of computer uses don't have it. My wife recently clicked a link that was highly suspect and luckily blocked by Avast, my children are a bit better.

https://www.alphr.com/security/6745/best-free-antivirus?amp

It was your wife that was lacking the common sense, not the computer.

I've never used anything other than what I said, and never had any issues.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 04:57:49 PM »

This, always.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 07:20:59 PM »

It was your wife that was lacking the common sense, not the computer.

I've never used anything other than what I said, and never had any issues.

Yes it was, but it's users that use computers, not computers using computers  ;)

The majority have probably never had any issues, doesn't mean it will carry on that way, especially if any of the users are not tech savvy and there not as well equipped to spot something dubious.

I've never had any issues driving a 44t artic, I would not recommend the average forum user jumps in one takes it for a spin though  ;)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 01:49:41 PM »

Yeah to be fair ronski common sense is mostly all you need, your wife no offense was lacking it by clicking the link.

Windows defender I am not a fan off because of its habit of running background scans which is stupid, but in the latest windows 10 it has some very good anti malware technology that beats a lot of commercial solutions that are aimed at home users. If you on build 1803 or newer, goto the security dashboard and check "core isolation" also check "app and browser control" and then in that section "exploit protection", the latter is what used to be EMET, but is now integrated into windows defender.  It sadly doesnt come with hardly anything preconfigured, so out of the box doesnt do a whole lot, but if configured right it will be practically impossible to penetrate.  By default CFG etc. will protect windows binaries but rules can be created to protect browsers and other binaries.  I am still waiting for the day Windows enables Applocker for consumers and also has pre configured rules for it aswell, but they really want to keep that one for enterprise only. :(

An example today I got a paypal email telling me my account was restricted, all I had to do was look at the sender yep its a spoof, common sense, also hover over the link reveals the true destination without having to click it.

Avast isnt too bad, but for it to work really well, I would enable the hardened mode and put it in the normal (not agressive) setting, in that mode, anything not verified as whitelisted needs manual overide to be executed on the system, its not convenient, but its powerful in that mode.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 01:52:38 PM by Chrysalis »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 06:38:23 PM »

Our common sense is a whole lot better than the average person's common sense. My wife's common (computer) sense isn't that bad, but when she's tired she's less likely to notice something untoward.

Edit: Typo's
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 08:17:55 PM by Ronski »

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 04:01:36 PM »

I use Avast and its served me well for years.

But when I look at Avast's reporting logs the web protection part i.e. if I click on a bad link and it blocks it, as only ever been activated once or twice over a 12 month period.

The reason I like Avast is the feedback forum they have. So if you have any problem you can leave them a message on the forum and they will reply sometimes within 10 minutes. They are very hands on.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 01:32:19 PM »

some info on hardened mode here, moderate is the better sub mode.

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=142172.0

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 02:33:49 PM »

In independent tests Windows Defender detects less viruses than good free antivirus protection, and as for common sense a lot of computer uses don't have it.

Not true. Windows Defender is not the most performant AV software out there, but it does admirably well in real world protection tests.

https://www.av-comparatives.org/comparison/
https://www.av-comparatives.org/tests/real-world-protection-test-october-2018-factsheet/

Free versions of both AVG and Avast led to compromised systems.

In their most recent test, only Bitdefender, Panda, F-Secure and Trend Micro matched Windows Defender in blocking 100% of threats.

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/
https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/business-windows-client/

It's ranked fifth best for business users (sorted by Protection). At work we use the managed variant of Defender (SCEP) on some servers and a large percentage of the client estate and it works just as well as our other AV product, which is from one of the top vendors in the Enterprise AV space.

This.

At work, it took many, many years and a relentless campaign of education to get our users to think about security differently and that has made the biggest (positive) impact.
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2018, 11:25:35 AM »

While we're at it don't use an administrator account for normal usage. A standard user account is fine.

The idea of 'common sense' is comforting but no-one is perfect and people can and do make mistakes - even those relatively aware of such matters. Many people consider a computer a tool and have better, in their opinion, things to do than spend a while learning how to stay relatively safe online.

There are instances where common sense will be of no use, of course, and there will be no antivirus definitions for the exploits. In those instances monitoring the behaviour of software by running it in a sandbox is about the best that can be done though this comes with an extensive performance penalty.

Much of the paid-for software is no better than Defender, though, not least because Microsoft of course have access to all those lovely undocumented APIs and can use them to monitor the behaviour of applications more deeply.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 07:03:04 AM »

DUMP WINDOWS SECURITY NOW. 13 rival suites that put Windows Defender to shame

That's on the cover of PC Pro's January 2019 magazine, and the article inside starts as follows.

DUMP WINDOWS DEFENDER NOW
Are you still relying on Windows 10 built in antivirus tool? Sure it's better than nothing, but if you think it's just as good as any other suite we've news for you. This month, we pit Windows Defender against alternative solutions from big names such as AVG, Kaspersky and Norton. We weigh up how effective each one is at blocking viruses and compare ease of use and performance. As the results make clear, there's a big difference between the best and worse packages out there and we hope it's not giving too much away to reveal that not for the first time Windows Defender comes dead last.

Make of it what you will.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 07:08:16 AM by Ronski »
Pages: [1] 2