Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: High Resistance Fault  (Read 8812 times)

Beta Tester

High Resistance Fault
« on: June 10, 2008, 12:55:36 AM »

I had what I thought was an HR fault. A BT engineer visited and said that there was no HR fault on the line (although he did find a problem with the d-side pair in my house, and changed to an alternative pair). I therefore have 2 questions:

1) How does a BT engineer diagnose an HR fault? Can they do this with their fault software on the laptop?

2) If I don't have an HR fault, why am I seeing SNR drops when I use the phone?

I have noticed that when the engineer connected the master socket back up, everything appeared OK for 2 or 3 days. Gradually things went downhill over a day or so, so that eventually I ended up syncing at 160 kbps. Could this be down to a faulty NTE5 socket?

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: High Resistance Fault
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 02:10:23 PM »

The automated tests is an inital way of trying to see a fault, but it dosn't beat going on the line and testing with a 9083 or a hawk.

Admititly a hr fault can sometime become elusive, and typicaly can involve corrosion somewhere, although from what you've stated it seems this was ruled out.

As for the snr problems then there is a whole miriad of possibilties as to the cause.

A hr fault would normaly show it self on your normal voice telephony. I had one saturday. contractors fitting new barge board & soffit, damaged the drop wire and repaired it by twisting the copper wires together, and that it. open to the elements, so when i get there it's corroded badly, and a noisy line. Remade the joint with a proper closure and crimps. nice quiet line and the broadband which would bearly touch 1mb is now running at 7.5mb. yet the line tested as "line test ok".

A hr should show up on aline test but dosn;t alway's, the engineer should be able to spot it with their test gear if close enough to the fault, but typialy clipping the butt phone on will give it away that there's a hr on the line.

The problem with broadband faults is you can't lock yourself on one type of cause, got to keep a very open mind

Beta Tester

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 06:31:23 PM »

The problem is that there seems to be no rhyme or reason why the problems occur. When the BT engineer left and my ISP had got bt to reset my SNR Margin, I was syncing with a 3 Mb profile. When I used the phone I was getting no SNR drops at all, I could hear the ADSL signal either.

But gradually over a period of 2-3 days the SNR gradually dropped and then I started getting SNR drops when using the phone, started hearing the ADSL signal and eventually ended up with a 135 kbps profile :(

All my internal wiring etc has been ruled out (tested faceplate and different filters, different phones, diffferent routers and modems, and different cables). I am also plugged into the master socket....

???  ???

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 07:55:14 PM »

when you hear the dsl signal on the phone, is it when the router/modem is in training for sync ?
By training I mean when the modem is trying to obtain a signal from the exchange (flashing orange/green light)

Beta Tester

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 08:50:46 PM »

Yes - I can hear the signal when the DSLAM and the router are negotiating. I can also sometimes hear the signal (presumably just the bottom range) once they have negotiated...???

Beta Tester

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 11:07:36 PM »

Any thoughts on this?

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 12:27:44 PM »

It sounds like you need to keep throwing this back to your ISP, I'm afraid.

It's obviously a fault, and needs sorting. Not a lot more that we can do here unfortunately.
Chris

Mr_CheeZe

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 05:31:23 PM »

check for loose wires on back on nte and nte frontplate. SNR drops rapidly with loose IDCconnections. heat and cold will affect your SNR  as a result of poor 'stamped down' connections.
Openreach ADSL engineer

Beta Tester

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 07:04:15 PM »

Wierd this! There are no loose connections.

However it seems that disconnecting the BT pair from the NTE5 and then reconnecting it after a few minutes results in their being no SNR drops when using the phone. I have seen this occur 3 times.

Sounds like a fault in the NTE5?

Beta Tester

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 11:48:56 PM »

Hmmm!

Tried a new NTE5 and still getting the same fault....

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 02:44:16 AM »

What's your ISP saying?
Chris

Beta Tester

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 12:01:49 PM »

Hi - just had an engineer out who found a potential HR fault in the street cab. He replaced the insulation on the pair and now we are seeing higher voltages on the line.

Here's hoping that this is the end of this problem...

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 12:33:59 PM »

I certainly hope that was it.  Fingers and toes crossed that its now sorted :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker