Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: EE Name First 16 UK Cities for 2019 Commercial 5G Mobile Rollout  (Read 1430 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
EE Name First 16 UK Cities for 2019 Commercial 5G Mobile Rollout
« on: November 13, 2018, 01:22:27 PM »

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/11/ee-name-first-16-uk-cities-for-its-2019-commercial-5g-mobile-rollout.html

Mobile operator EE (BT) has today named the first UK cities to benefit from their commercial roll-out of ultrafast multi-Gigabit capable 5G mobile and wireless home broadband technology, which is due to begin later next year. Naturally London, Cardiff, Edinburgh and Belfast are on the list.

At present EE and Vodafone have already begun early network trials of the new network using the 3.4GHz band, although the lack of supporting 5G capable Smartphones has meant that initially these are only focused on 1Gbps+ capable fixed wireless broadband ISP style connections for homes and businesses.

Sadly most of the necessary radio spectrum bands and hardware won’t be completely ready for commercial launch until 2020, although both EE and Three UK have said that they expect to begin the commercial roll-out of 5G services in 2019. Today EE has also gone one step further by announcing which areas will be the first to benefit and it’s an unsurprising list.

Overall 16 cities have been listed and the first six of those to see the new service under Phase One include London, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Belfast, Birmingham and Manchester. EE’s initial deployment will target the “busiest parts” of these cities including London’s Hyde Park, Manchester Airport, Edinburgh Waverley train station, Belfast City Airport, The Welsh Assembly and Birmingham’s Bullring shopping centre.

Indeed it’s noted that the first 1,500 sites to benefit currently carry 25% of all data across the whole network, but only cover 15% of the UK population. “EE is upgrading to 5G where it can make the biggest difference to the most people,” said the operator.

EE’s First 16 5G Cities

Phase One
    London
    Cardiff
    Edinburgh
    Belfast
    Birmingham
    Manchester

Phase Two
    Glasgow
    Newcastle
    Liverpool
    Leeds
    Hull
    Sheffield
    Nottingham
    Leicester
    Coventry
    Bristol

Marc Allera, CEO of BT’s Consumer division, said:

“Adding 5G to the UK’s number one 4G network will increase reliability, increase speeds, and keep our customers connected where they need it most. This is another milestone for the UK and for our network journey – we’ll keep evolving as we move to one, smart network for our customers. We have an ambition to connect our customers to 4G, 5G or WiFi 100% of the time.”

Sadiq Khan, Mayor of London, added:

“I want London to be the world’s leading smart city and 5G expansion is at the heart of this ambition – it is good news for Londoners, innovation, and business. At City Hall we are working hard right across the capital to ensure we have the network infrastructure needed through our new Connected London programme. EE’s ambitious investment in 5G sites demonstrates that our city is a great place to invest in innovative and future-facing digital connectivity.”
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: EE Name First 16 UK Cities for 2019 Commercial 5G Mobile Rollout
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 01:26:11 PM »

Ok, I'd like to hear other peoples opinions on this, because my opinion is that 5G is a big waste of money. Everything that can be done with 5G can be done with 4G. The same bandwidth restrictions are still in place so its not like they are promoting being able to download far more volume than you can now. They seem to be mainly promoting the speed increase. But even with 4G getting the highest speed can be like spotting the loch ness monster, a rare thing, because they haven't pushed 4G to its limits yet.

The amount of money being poured in to 5G should be directed somewhere else imho.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 03:39:19 PM »

Better off pushing 4G or even 3G countrywide first!

They claim 5G will compete with home broadband - but there are limited data tarriffs on mobile products - can't see it without the cost being massive, myself!
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 04:17:41 PM »

Many of these upgrades benefit 3G and 4G also, so it all comes together. More cells and more backhaul is beneficial across the board.

There is no value in covering 100% of the UK geographically with 3G and 4G. 5G does have some money-making potential.

Let's see what the packages are that are released before we decide the whole thing is a waste of money. Lots of unanswered questions.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 03:22:39 AM »

I wonder if this will result in backhaul been removed from 4G, it be interesting to see if they can share backhaul between the different techs.

Three are claiming 5g can replace fixed line broadband, which if true means that usage allowances are going to go up massively.  4g is easily fast enough to replace land line broadband, its issue is backhaul and mast capacity.  So we will see if 5g can fix that.  If it doesnt then yeah it would seem to have little real value.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 03:25:55 AM by Chrysalis »

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 04:24:57 AM »

I would prefer better coverage, I live in Worcestershire in a place where for many people there is no 3G or 4G (unless you stand outside and wave your phone around) and in many places ADSL coverage is also bad due to old phone lines.  Tenbury is not a city, it only has a population of 4000 people but I think the UK could do a lot better.
To put this in context, I work a lot of the time in the Eastern Sahara in Egypt - there I get an excellent 4G signal and speeds far in excess of anything I have seen at home  :rain:

Understandably for me data network coverage and high speed internet access for communities outside cities is the priority  :yay:

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 07:53:44 AM »

I cant say I can complain too heavily. I get ~70Mb via both VDSL lines at home. My wife and I both have EE contracts and we get 70Mb over LTE at home.

But, I know there are going to be a lot of places that are nowhere near that, and I bet on both fronts.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

anything