Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: pi-hole?  (Read 15220 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: pi-hole?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2018, 01:36:19 PM »

An installer needs to back out its changes if it fails. Leaving a mess lying around is very poor design. That’s a simple enough rule. It detected some error condition and then just fell to pieces.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2018, 02:32:41 PM »

it's not an "installer" though, it's just a script running various linux commands to make sure all the required components exist.
each command runs and completes, they are all standalone parts.

22over7

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2018, 06:13:19 PM »

I had a delicious experience upgrading a Windows10 laptop.
I needed to uninstall something, and it chuntered on for a few minutes,
and then the progress bar went *backwards*. I have never seen this
before.  I fell into an inescapable mental loop on the nature of time.

As for pi-hole, it seems to be imperfect, at least for this average moron blundering around.
Maybe TLS has something to do with a rather laggy effect
on my machine using a pi-hole for DNS. And it doesn't kill youtube-adverts, so it is not sufficient.
But it could well be part of a plan  to de-crap one's internet connection.

At the very least, it is a learning tool. It sheds a lot of light on network shenanigans that go on
on your computer.

Although kitz.co.uk & co (good-guy sites who use  unobtrusive ads, and deserve whatever they get from advertising)
are whitelisted, it seems (with no systematic experiment), to show in some browsers and not others.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2018, 06:48:16 PM »

the good think about most adblocker extensions (certainly for ublock origin) is that they tend to also get rid of the frames the ads are placed in, so the website won't have big gaps where the ads would have been.

pi-hole can only block the ad request thus it leaves the place the ad would have been intact.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2018, 07:20:41 AM »

Weaver we a bit too early yet for single stacked ipv6 ;)

pfblockerNG is the same, it assumes you have ipv4 connectivity and is designed to work on ipv4.

Also yes these systems tend to be designed to be within a LAN as well.

VDSL2User

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2018, 08:14:04 AM »

One issue with using browser extensions is that they add to the CPU/memory usage and in
doing so can slow down the browser (worse on older CPUs). They also need to be installed on
every clients/browser configurations in use and don't work for some other apps (e.g. email clients).
They are also may not be as effective on mobile/ipad style devices.
Maybe a solution is to use both a DNS and a browser extension solution but this may be overkill and
will have the resource issues on client devices detailed above, but with the DNS catching most before
they reach the extension it may be so bad.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2018, 08:44:38 AM »

ublock origin is way way lighter than adblocker, and you save a ton of cpu by not loading trackers/ads, trackers can be especially high on cpu.  e.g on skysports website with no filtering the page is constantly processing data without filtering and uses cpu resources, but with filtering once its loaded its idle.  Trackers in my view are sometimes worse than ads, they all over the place and horrible.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2018, 06:23:09 AM »

To add to what VDSL2User was saying, although my 1Blocker-X is very good on the iPad, if you need to go cover the whole LAN that means going around installing software in every machine and even then you may find it impossible. On the iPad my adblocker only covers Safari as it uses the web-browser ad-blocker interface provided by Apple and works within the an individual app not low down at the system level. In order to stop ads appearing in other random apps, a different approach is required and success may well be impossible. Ad-blocking using DNS, if it works, can affect every app in the machine or even an entire group of machines that use one relay DNS server, so a huge benefit. Apps that do not use DNS, but go straight to fetch ads by iPad address are if course immune from this trickery. That’s a nuisance from the point of view of maintenance, but if they are going update the software with new lists of ads, then the app may almost just as well fetch an updated list of IP addresses from the internet. Perhaps designers will start to do this in order to defeat ad blockers? I could certainly do with blocking ads in some of my other apps besides than Safari.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2018, 08:17:47 PM »

You must not use YouTube much then as it can't block those ads without some major constant manual editing

I watch a lot of YouTube and Twitch, lots of YouTube adverts get blocked, the embedded ones remain, but it's not as bad as having them all.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2018, 08:18:49 PM »

I am, quite shamelessly, going to request that all members please ensure kitz.co.uk is white-listed in your ad-blocker.

No thank you, but I'll happily donate if Kitz wants to suggest a nominal annual donation.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2018, 09:02:49 PM »

I watch a lot of YouTube and Twitch, lots of YouTube adverts get blocked, the embedded ones remain, but it's not as bad as having them all.

pi-hole can't block them unless you spend hours manually updating files every day/week/month.
so either you've done that or something else is blocking the youtube ads that google insert.

trust me, and even pi-hole openly admit this, pi-hole is not a solution for blocking youtube ads.

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2019, 03:28:06 PM »

Just a quick question. Does anyone else find that memory usage gradually increases over a number of days? I have Pi-hole, DSLStats and Unifi Controller on my Pi3. Just Pi-hole and DSLStats are normally running. If I restart the Pi, memory usage drops. Wondering if that's normal?

22over7

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2019, 06:46:27 PM »

Just a quick question. Does anyone else find that memory usage gradually increases over a number of days? I have Pi-hole, DSLStats and Unifi Controller on my Pi3. Just Pi-hole and DSLStats are normally running. If I restart the Pi, memory usage drops. Wondering if that's normal?

I haven't noticed (haven't really been looking: it's at 19.1% ATM), and thanks for the alert.

My pi-hole Pi3 is shared with a (rather bloated) cups server (I think they share a lighthttpd).
It seems to me a very good question how fast they (individually/severally) leak memory.

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2019, 06:49:24 PM »

Maybe set a regular system reboot cron job

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2019, 10:29:07 PM »

Pi-Hole 4.2, the most recent update, is hanging any Pi B+ I put it on.

Might get into debugging it at some point
Pages: 1 [2] 3