Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Poorly kitten  (Read 1331 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Poorly kitten
« on: November 08, 2018, 10:56:48 PM »

Pangur Bàn has been bitten on his back in a fight with Tom we presume. He has puncture wounds and his leg has a wound on it and seems stiff and awkward. A few nights ago he was on the bed, I touched him and he growled at me. This was so weird I immediately knew something was very wrong. Janet examined him and I think I and she could see a swelling on his back, although the fur was obscuring things. I said that the growling was like the noise that Caoimhe makes when she has been scared by a fight with Beileag, who hates her and used to be bullied by Caoimhe, things used to be the other way round until Beileag got the confidence to chase Caoimhe. Gave the kitten a dose of loxicom straight away. Very lucky we had some in. Took him down to the vet in the morning, shaved his back and gave him an anti-biotics injection.

He still isn’t ready to play yet even a couple of days later. Somhairle cannot understand why his friend make miserable noises instead of wanting to play. Tonight Pangur Bàn tried to jump from the bed onto the bookshelves at the side where there is a bowl full of cat crunchies, ‘the snack bar’, but due to his leg simply missed and fell to the floor in a heap. At least tonight he looks comfortable, sitting in my lap while I am in bed. He is smiling and even allowing me to stroke him a little.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Poorly kitten
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 11:23:24 PM »

Considering that Tom is almost a permanent resident I am surprised that he is assumed to be the guilty party.  :-\

Hopefully Pangur Bàn will make a good recovery and not loose his confidence to be with all the other residents.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 11:49:09 PM »

The thing is, Tom might well have got into a fight without having started it. In fact, I don’t think he ever starts one, but gets trapped sometimes, and might be fighting out of fear. We only suggest Tom because there is no other possibility. Tom tries to creep into the house and get to his warm sleepy places, one is in a box, behind a coat that is hanging on the wall, in the corner of the kitchen. Another favourite place is the spare room upstairs. This means having to risk climbing the stairs and he could meet another cat, in which case he could be trapped and either a lot of noise or a fight ensues. Somhairle’s tail was bitten some months back, became infected and swelled up to be enormous.

Tom just wants to be left alone. He will sit in the kitchen with other cats looking at him and they will just behave themselves now. But it’s when a cat is on the move that the trouble happens.

Janet suggests that little Pangur Bàn might have gone outside and then encountered Tom. I think that outside is Tom’s world: in his mind, he owns it and I suspect might be aggressive about his top cat status out there, yet indoors he is frightened because he knows he is an intruder in ‘their’ world.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 09:22:01 PM »

Pangur Bàn is back to purring, very loudly. And playing games, slightly less wild still, and he goes up his climbing pole. He is on the bed purring his head off right now. Janet thinks Tom was not involved. This is because Tom came into the kitchen and Pangur Bàn was not at all afraid of him.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 09:27:18 PM »

That's good to know. Thank you for the update.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 10:32:56 PM »

Glad he's doing ok  :thumbs:

-----

Having concerns over one of mine atm who is down to just 2.8kg.  I'd relaxed the syringing for for the past 6 mnths to just 1 per day, but unfortunately as discovered upon his checkup, he has dropped back again.  :'(

In comparison, his sister (who is visibly much smaller boned with a smaller head and paws) is well in excess of 4kg (they both went for checkup at same time).... so I'm back to administering (syringing) meds 2 x daily which can be time consuming.... not to mention difficult for me when my fingers & hand are sore to prepare!   My vets have been good and even cut human medication up into tiny pieces because I started to find it difficult to cut tiny tablets into 1/6ths these days.

On the whole he is doing ok, just extremely thin.   He is happy.   He purrs a lot.   He cuddles a lot.  He continues to play a lot.  He is constantly by my side.
Vet suggested further tests which I declined.    He was given a few days to live last year.   He has been in intensive care more times than I care to mention over the past few years.  I do not see the point in subjecting him to the stress of further tests which just distress him.

This week it was his birthday and to look at him play you'd never guess how ill he has been.   I do not see the point in subjecting him to yet more tests because he is such a happy purry boy, so I shall just double up the meds again in the hope I can get him to 3kg which is pivot point.

Before anyone thinks otherwise....   I have fought so hard for this boy.   He is without doubt happy boy - he still goes out stalking...  he still loves walkies and enjoys an excellent quality of life and still has manic times of play each day with his sister.      If it was _any_ different then I would reconsider what I do for him!!!!!   I'm lucky that he was insured with Pet Plan before this happened who will continue to pay medical costs & his meds that keep him alive which under normal circumstances I would not be able to afford.  (He is on off-licence drugs normally for humans ... or one of them only licenced for dogs - not cats.)

---

PS  the problem with Tiaditis/pancreatis is that the cat can live a relatively normal life if medicated.   The recognised problem is just how much care and time is required by the owner to give the required treatment which often requires medication only licenced for humans.  One of the biggest challenges is that cats with triaditis refuse to eat and why I need to syringe.    My boy is soooo good and we try make an enjoyable (for him) game & experience of it which is why it takes so long.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 10:44:08 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 11:57:02 PM »

I’m so glad that he is happy, purring and playing. Your absolutely right to think that that is all that matters. If he is enjoying life he will tell you so. Pangur Bàn is 2.8kg I think. He’s quite little still. Somhairle has got a bit bigger recently, and he is much older, just had his first birthday I think.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 12:58:57 AM »

I'm not certain about orientals, but certainly Siamese tend to weigh a lot less because of their slim athletic build.
Birmans are a stockier breed, a female should be 3.5 - 4.5 kg,  whilst males are visibly larger and should weigh between 4.5 - 6.8 kg 

Zoe is around spot on her ideal weight. Unfort Zigs at 2.8kg is vastly underweight or as my vet said anorexic.    He's on prednisolone steroids to help maintain weight and we've tried all the usual appetite stimulants to no avail.  I've tried various diets and foods but he will just turn his nose up at most things.   He may perhaps eat a couple of prawns or a tiny bit of ham or tuna.   He'll also take a couple of mouthfuls of Applaws, or lap at cat soup (leaving the meat).   It's almost like he just doesn't want to eat more than a mouthful of anything.   

Hence the syringing of high protein food mixed with Cerenia/Maropitant.   Maropitant tablets are only licenced for dogs (they have a different digestive system to cats), but the alternative would be daily Cerenia injections which can only be given by a vet and are exceedingly painful.   He really kicks off when he gets those and gets so frightened :'(   You can also see that even in dogs its not supposed to be given for more than 5 days in a row.   - He's constantly on it because without he just throws everything back up.   His progress is one of several being monitored by the drug manufacturer in the aim that it will eventually be officially licenced for cats too.  Unfortunately its not cheap.  Fortunately the insurance pays.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 02:16:09 AM »

Caoimhe, Somhairle and Pangur Bàn are oriental shorthairs, Buidheag is a ginger and white Skye moggy and Beileag is a fat black and white Skye moggy, those two are sisters from Sàsaig, down the road, that’s why we call the sisters ‘the Sàsaigs’ occasionally. They are about nine years old, Buidheag is a big hunter and Beileag is more of a house cat. Tom is an enormous tabby.

You might recall that when Caoimhe contracted her mystery critical illness a few years back her weight went right down, left her with this very bad permanent sniffling, sneezing and wheezing.

I’m sure you’ve tried all the favourites. Pangur Bàn goes crazy over cheese, is incredibly greedy and desperate to get at any human food. Some of ours love smoked salmon, there is sometimes a bit left over after breakfast.

anything