Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: BBC iPlayer  (Read 14736 times)

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: BBC iPlayer
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2019, 10:24:35 AM »

the iplayer app now supports multiple profiles (just like netflix does), so the idea is that each person has their own BBC profile, and thus each person gets their own tailored content.

it also lets you log in a a guest.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2019, 10:45:46 AM »

the iplayer app now supports multiple profiles (just like netflix does), so the idea is that each person has their own BBC profile, and thus each person gets their own tailored content.

it also lets you log in a a guest.

Are you sure about the ‘Netflix-like’ profiles?   I cannot see it as a setting on my iPlayer App, panasonic TV running FirefoxOS.   Maybe just me being dumb?    :-\

Re guest login I did explore that, but it seems to involve a convuluted process by telephone that needs to repeated every single day, not really a viable strategy. ::)

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2019, 10:53:42 AM »

yes 100% sure, maybe your version of the app doesn't support it yet.
mine is on Android TV.

and my experience of the guest login doesn't match yours, i'm guessing your versions of the app are quite old and aren't being actively developed/updated.

see https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/how-to-guides/sign-in/connected_tv_who_is_signed_in
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 10:59:18 AM by chenks »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2019, 11:11:42 AM »

Yep profiles on all mine too. 
You can switch between profiles and then using a code you can add your (personal) profile to whichever device you want.

If say you were part of a largish family, then you could set up a 'family' profile and leave that as default, but its still easy enough to switch to a personal profile within the app. 
The thing that possibly takes the longest is adding your profile to the device, but even that only takes a couple of mins.   
You start to sign in on the device, then iplayer will send you a code (I usually get these sent to the iplayer app on my phone*).  You then enter that code into the device and your profile is now added to that device.   You can delete/swap/rename profiles whenever you want.

*I use my phone for convenience so I don't have to wander off to another room, but it can be anything you already have the iplayer app on.   Just wanted to make it clear that its linked to the iplayer app rather than my phone number which it doesnt know.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2019, 11:17:52 AM »

Definitely has profiles, I've been using them on iPlayer beta for a couple years.

IPlayer beta can be enabled in the settings on the iPlayer app if you wish to try new features.

I can resume a programme I have been watching on iPlayer on any other device.
I have my own watch lists/favourites.
I don't see the crap my partner watches, it's great.

I understand you don't wish to login but like with any service you're not gonna get the full benefit and all the features if you don't.

The guest login being mentioned is that on an account that is logged in.
You can create profiles or be a guest and not have your watching history saved to a profile.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2019, 11:30:43 AM »

Profiles, that’s odd. ???

Beta use?   Yes, and I have it enabled, and Beeb quite genourously include my TV in UHD tests.

Re Guest login, I think we are at cross purposes, BBC may be using the term to mean multiple things.

My own reference was also in relation to signing in without any account at all, which is what I’d expect of “guest” access.   The process is initiated as described at the following link.   When I followed it through, and persevered with the phone IVR,  it eventually offered just a single day’s access.   I assume it is paying lip service to some aspect of the BBC access rules, whilst deliberately failing to be useful....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/how-to-guides/sign-in/connected_tv_sign_in

What if I don't have a mobile, tablet or computer?

If you are required to sign in to BBC iPlayer on your TV and you don't have a second device, it is still possible to use BBC iPlayer on your TV. You'll need to have access to a telephone (this doesn't need to be a smartphone - a regular telephone will do). Minicom facilities are also available if you have a speech or hearing impairment.

Follow these steps:

Open the BBC iPlayer application on your TV.
Press the Sign In button.
You should see a screen asking you to use a second device to sign in. At the bottom of the screen it should say, "Don't have a mobile, tablet or computer? Press down." Press down on your remote control.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2019, 11:37:13 AM »

by guest access i mean using iplayer whilst not using a "profile", as you can see in the screenshot in the link i provided.
it's clear that your version of iplayer doesn't have the newer features that are being pushed out to other devices, most likely due to it being firefox OS.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2019, 05:52:56 PM »

I noticed on the iplayer I use (on the PS4) the guest login as disappeared.

When loading up iplayer I used to be able to select guest, my account name, and new user. Now its just my account name and new user.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2019, 06:40:06 PM »

I noticed on the iplayer I use (on the PS4) the guest login as disappeared.

When loading up iplayer I used to be able to select guest, my account name, and new user. Now its just my account name and new user.

I have this too, both on a Samsung and a PS4

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2019, 06:55:08 PM »

Can’t speak for the other platforms but one of the annoying features of FirefoxOS is, it is quite hard to withhold updates.  So sudden behavioural changes, and new bugs that were not there before, are commonly encountered.

That said, I suspect iPlayer is basically a Web based App, taking its behaviour and GUI  from remote server based configuration controls, rather than depending upon updates to the binary of an installed App itself.   May be wrong, would be interested to know? :-\

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2019, 08:32:47 PM »

With no internet connection and clearing the entire data from the app the GUI fully loads.

minus the actual programme tiles/guide of course.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2019, 08:58:38 PM »

That’s interesting  J0hn.  I don’t think FirefoxOS provides configuration controls for me to repeat the experiment, but I shall assume that if I could, I’d see the same outcome.

It just seems to me likely that BBC would have wanted an architecture that allowed themselves to tweak the GUI without having to build, test, and release new binaries for multiple versions of Android, FirefoxOS, AppleTV, games consoles, various historic Smart TVs, etc.   ???

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2019, 12:48:10 PM »

"The television licence fee is going up from £150.50 to £154.50 on 1 April 2019, the government has announced."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]