Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: BBC iPlayer  (Read 14735 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: BBC iPlayer
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2019, 10:43:25 AM »

So how did these nazis make the like to Chenks? - through an email address, or IP address plus isp? Are ISPs colluding with these people? Or perhaps the TV nazis are buying data from say google ? I have no idea.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2019, 10:52:04 AM »

i can only assume they saw the email address as using the server, and put 2 and 2 together and came up with 7.
clearly they didn't have the intelligence to look at the post code linked to the bbc account and notice it was a different post code (which is licenced).

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2019, 11:06:21 AM »

He's logged in to his Iplayer account on a device at his parents.

He's registered no tv license required with the same email address that is being used to view iPlayer at another address.

Perfectly legal.

Nothing stopping anyone registering no tv license required and using the same email address to watch iPlayer in a house with a license.

No ISP snooping or conspiracy here.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2019, 11:10:22 AM »

indeed, but it's a flawed process they are using, as they are no restrictions on how many people can use one bbc account, or where they can use it.
a licence is linked to an address, but a BBC account isn't.
the problem is that they automatically remove the "no licence required" flag on the property registered. so you then have to re-register it again as none required.

the fact that the bbc account asks for post_code, but then they ignore it when running "checks".

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2019, 11:23:27 AM »

Sympathies, Chenks.

It can be very hard to get the TV licencing harassment mob off your scent after they get the slightest whiff there’s anything amiss, even when they are quite obviously wrong.

As mentioned in a different thread, Apple TV iPlayer continues to work without sign in, but only in SD.   We have therefore signed in on the smart TV using other half’s long standing BBC account, which may be a better idea anyway as the licence is in her name, not mine.   Otherwise, as you say, 2+2 might = 7.

One irritation since signing in, when starting a new playback, we now often get a 30 second advertisement for some other program.  I suppose by being signed in, BBC are now ‘profiling’ the user’s tastes, and feel able to show ads that they think are relevant.   The adverts can be easily skipped, but still very annoying, to me at least.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2019, 08:54:03 PM »

One irritation since signing in, when starting a new playback, we now often get a 30 second advertisement for some other program.

I've not seen this, and atm I'm using iplayer a lot, both via the firestick(s) and the JVC TV inbuilt interface.  I do get recommendations, but they are in a static row that I can scroll through for more info just underneath the main programs in that section.   Note that 99% of the time I  view via the 'category tab' so not sure if that makes any difference. 

I have absolutely no objection to the recommends how they are presented to me - as mentioned previously I've discovered some good documentaries this way that I may have otherwise missed.    Last night it recommended me a BBC film and considering at the time it was about 3am and I could not sleep due to pain, but feeling far too ill to get out of bed, it provided a slight distraction for about 110 mins.  I actually like this feature because it has realised that I like documentaries/science/sci-fi and they are usually appropriate.

OTOH, the firestick main menu does give me ads which will autoplay.  I don't think Prime has quite got my tastes quite correct yet - but that may more be down to the fact I'll put one of their movies on that friends may also want to watch too. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2019, 11:27:31 PM »

I've not seen this

Lucky you.   The advertising seems to be no secret....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/how-to-guides/getting-started/trailers_iplayer

Doesn’t always happen (maybe 50/50) so I can’t be certain that the advertisements are a result of signing in, but I never had any ads on the Panasonic TV before signing in, and never seen any advertisements on the Apple TV version, which still does not need sign in.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2019, 01:03:58 PM »

Doesn’t always happen (maybe 50/50) so I can’t be certain that the advertisements are a result of signing in, but I never had any ads on the Panasonic TV before signing in, and never seen any advertisements on the Apple TV version, which still does not need sign in.

I'm always signed in now.   Mostly watch through one of the firesticks, but sometimes will quickly skip to the JVC inbuilt app which allows to watch a live prog from start.

Out of curiosity do you have personalised recommendations selected?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2019, 07:11:29 PM »

I'm always signed in now.   Mostly watch through one of the firesticks, but sometimes will quickly skip to the JVC inbuilt app which allows to watch a live prog from start.

Out of curiosity do you have personalised recommendations selected?

Hmm, so rather than a setting up on the TV App, that is set on the account, from a logged in browser on a PC?

I can’t personally confirm as it is not my login, and I don’t kmow password.   I will request other half to confirm. :)

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2019, 01:47:58 AM »

I think all devices have the same login system for iPlayer now.
When you try login it gives you a short code, you then visit http://bbc.com/account/tv and enter this code. It links that device to your account and it remains logged in permanently.

Might be different on some legacy devices but it's identical on any device I've tried recently
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2019, 08:46:52 AM »

you then visit http://bbc.com/account/tv

That link simply takes me a page that invites me to login or register.   I cannot log in as I have not registered and, in common hundreds of other sites that would like me to register, I am unwilling to do so.

But presumably, if a personal who has registered logs in at that link, he/she will be presented with an opportunity to tweak settings, including the option suggested by Kitz?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 08:57:47 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2019, 08:57:39 AM »

Just enter bogus values, there is no email verification. I usually pick a postcode as close to W1A as I can find, and do so on every new device and every time the login cookie gets cleared.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2019, 09:06:49 AM »

Just enter bogus values, there is no email verification. I usually pick a postcode as close to W1A as I can find, and do so on every new PC and every time the login cookie gets cleared.

I am unwilling to register my details. It’s not that there’s anything to hide, or any specific privacy concern, simply that I am unwilling to do so.  There are literally hundreds of websites that invite me to register, and that I decline, BBC is just one more.    I’d be even more unwilling to register using bogus details.  :o

Repeat again, this does not prevent us from using iPlayer as other half has registered, logged in, and activated the TV.   But since we did so, when we start to play a programme, we have been getting presented with advertisements for other programmes.   I would like to find a way to stop these advertisements...

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2019, 09:20:08 AM »

Apologies, had not read the full thread. Try logging in with the account you made to watch on your TV and setting preferences.

You realise the irony in wishing to set persistent preferences across devices and not being willing to make an account?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of them requiring accounts, but sharing settings across devices with old/inadequate implementations to do so is a main reason.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2019, 09:50:08 AM »

You realise the irony in wishing to set persistent preferences across devices and not being willing to make an account?

It also seems slightly bonkers that they will try to deduce “personal recommendations” on a TV that gets logged in simply by associating it with an account on some PC elsewhere, and then remains logged in forever (or is it two years?).

In a typical household with several persons sharing a TV, how can they hope to identify the “person” that is viewing, in order to provide these supposedly “personal” recommendations? ::)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything