Chat > Tech Chat

BBC iPlayer

(1/12) > >>

sevenlayermuddle:
I tried to use the iPlayer App on my Panasonic Firefox OS TV tonight.   Last night it worked fine, but seems it now requires sign in.    :(

I cannot sign in as I do not have an account, and I don’t want to create an account as it requires me to think up a new password, and my brain is full.   It will also undoubtably require me to provide BBC with copious personal data, which carries the risk/certainty that their database will one day be breached.  :no:

Curiously, the iPlayer App on my Apple TV continues to work without signing in, so that is what I shall use for time being. :)

Ronski:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/latest-news/account-signin

Can't remember what info I had to enter when I signed up but when I look at my personal details there is my display name, password, email address, postcode, gender and year of birth.

You'll either have to sign up or stop using iPlayer  ;)

sevenlayermuddle:

--- Quote from: Ronski on November 08, 2018, 06:23:15 AM ---You'll either have to sign up or stop using iPlayer  ;)

--- End quote ---

Or, for the time being, use the iPlayer App on my Apple TV.  :P

I might weaken for iPlayer, but I don’t use ITV or Channel 4 catch up for the same reason - they both require signin, and I’ve always refused to register.       It’s not that hard to remember to record stuff off air on PVR (/MythTV), and you get the benefit of much better picture quality as well 5.1 sound if they can be bothered to broadcast it (iPlayer is just stereo).

Channel 5 app on my TV still works without sign in and amazingly, seems to skip all advert breaks. :)

renluop:
SLM, you seen to have a double canopy paranoidchute! :D

Going a bit OT, IPlayer IMHO is by far the best of the bunch with its library, and it has subtitles.
The rest are creaky and without subtitles. Annoying! >:(

sevenlayermuddle:
Obviously, they want sign in to make life hard for license dodgers.  That annoys me as I am not a license dodger.  It annoys me in the same way that "traffic calming" chicanes annoy me, as they are in general aimed at speed reduction, whereas I have always tried not to break speed limits.

I love some of the excuse they have come up with....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/how-to-guides/sign-in/account-signin

--- Quote ---We need to understand more on what people are watching to ensure we are providing something for everyone. Up until now we could only tell how many people used BBC iPlayer, but having more data like age, gender and location will ensure we’re better serving all our audience.

--- End quote ---

So, after I finish watching a "boy's" programme, such as building a rocket engine or going somewhere on a train,  BBC think  I'm going to sign out so that other half can sign in again before watching a "girl's" programme, such as costume dramas?   If we had kids in the house, we'd both have to sign out, so the kids could sign in before watching Andy Pandy or whatever?   :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version