Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Problem Unlocking HG612 Time out issue  (Read 8155 times)

mikey6283

Problem Unlocking HG612 Time out issue
« on: November 07, 2018, 03:08:21 PM »

Hi,
I have been reading up the topic of unlocking the HG612 with the Software update.  I have followed the instruction and i am able to get to item 9-12 where the software fails to update due to time out issues  Ip address not available . Then I have to Reset to get back to the upgrade page. I do not have a firewall or antivirus or proxies servers on. using windows 10.

Any advise would be helpful.

Thanks

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Problem Unlocking HG612 Time out issue
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 10:02:59 PM »

. . . I have followed the instruction and i am able to get to item 9-12 where the software fails to update due to time out issues  Ip address not available .

Welcome to the Kitz forum and sorry for the delay in responding.  :)

I am unsure to what you refer with "item 9-12". I have checked the guide, available on the main site, and am still uncertain. Would you please provide a link to the guide that you are using? Sight of that will certainly help me understand your problem.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

mikey6283

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 10:52:17 PM »

HI Burakkucat.

I have been following the guide in the link you have highlighted and downloaded  the softwarebcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B030SP08_webgui. When I reset the Modem i can get to the web page  where it  start to load the software , however after a minute or so it stops and the page comes up stating that the page 192.168.1.1  cannot be reached and refused to connect, and saying  Try checking the connection and proxy and Firewall. These are  turned off  on a windows 10 PC. If i try to go  to the  192.168.1.1 i have to rest the modem again  this can take a few attempts.  The only items connected to the modem is the power cable and Lan2 cable to PC. Lan adapter is set as 192.168.1.200.

Any advise would be appreciated.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 12:31:48 AM »

Hmm . . . That is odd. I wonder if the messages that are being displayed are misleading you?

Start by disconnecting the Ethernet patch lead and then power-cycle the HG612. Leave the HG612 alone for a few minutes, then press the reset button and hold it for 15 - 20 seconds. Once you have released the reset button, allow the device to remain powered up for, say, five minutes.

Power off the HG612 and reconnect the Ethernet patch cable to the LAN2 port. With the reset button held depressed, power on the HG612. Continue to keep the reset button depressed. After 20 - 30 seconds, release the button and then point your web-browser to the 192.168.1.1 IPv4 address.

The firmware upload page should now be displayed. Specify the the firmware image and and left-click on the upload button. At this point, do not disturb the HG612 or your computer. Ignore any messages that are subsequently displayed that the page at IPv4 192.168.1.1 cannot be reached. They are originating from your web-browser and can be disregarded. It is very important not to disturb the HG612 at this point, for it will be checking the image that has just been uploaded. I will suggest waiting, once again, for five minutes. During that time, if you are keeping a close watch on the LEDs, you will see that the HG612 re-boots itself. Once it has re-stabilised, it will then be using the newly uploaded firmware image.

It is important to allow the device time to perform its internal housekeeping tasks . . . if it is interrupted, the uploaded firmware will be deleted. Hence the advice is to wait up to five minutes at each crucial point.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

mikey6283

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 09:52:50 AM »

Burakkcut,

Thank for you advice it worked perfectly, i believe my problems , when i saw the error no internet , i assumed there was a problem , when i left it alone , it when to the admin page as you suggested.

Now i just need to learn and understand the other elements of the unlocking.  Once i had connected everything up to my computer ( Imac) i tried to go into  Admin 192.168.1.1, I assume that I should  set the Ethernet Lan as DHCP with manual address 192.168.1.200 ?

If there are any thread which would help please advise and thanks again for helping me to get this far. :)

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 11:23:44 AM »

You need to tell us how you wish to use the HG612 before we can tell you how it needs configured.

Is it for a VDSL2 (FTTC) service, or ADSL?
Do you plan on using it as a modem with a separate router?

The HG612 is pre configured as a modem for FTTC, with no config changes being needed for this.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

mikey6283

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 12:55:08 PM »

jOhn

I am a complete novice just willing to learn.  I don't think i am on VDSL2(FTTC)  as maximum download i can get is  28-31Mbps rubbish really.

I am currently using the modem before my Airport Time Capsule , the reason  i updated i the modem as i wanted to see  if and why i keep on getting drops in my connection, i understand i could tell by the upgrade? I cannot get into the admin page at the moment ?
My current configuration is Lan 1 to Airport to iMac. Lan 2 not used. Do i have to connect to Lan 2 and another computer to read the information ?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 01:58:15 PM »

You need to connect LAN2 of the HG612 to any LAN port on the Airport Time Capsule for reading stats.

No other changes are needed.

You are indeed on FTTC.

edit: I'll add with some routers you can drop the requirement of a 2nd cable for LAN2, so that stats can be viewed over LAN1, but it needs advanced routing features and I have no experience of the ATC.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 02:01:08 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

mikey6283

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 06:09:00 PM »

jOhn

Connected Lan 2 to Airport Time Capsule and  I receive error as though the Modem Not available. Tried Lan 2 direct to computer same as used when unlocking the HG612 changed ethernet to 192.168.1.1,  with the same result.  On my imac i am able to have DHCP with manual  address , should i change this accordingly ?

I cannot understand why the modem is not  available.

Any advice would be appreciated

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 08:08:31 AM »

To access the modem stats without any clever routing modifications you need 2 ethernet cables between the router and the modem.

Leave the existing LAN1 connection in place, this provide the WAN connection to the modem then add another cable from LAN2 to your local ethernet LAN.

LAN2 does not provide any connection to the internet but allows the modem to be configured and the status pages viewed.

However the stats provided by the modem web interface are incorrect, you have to use a Telnet connection and login to the modem.
Username and Password 'admin' then enter 'sh' and the command 'xdslcmd info --stats'
This is a useful command that displays connection information and error counts but there are many other commands available.

mikey6283

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 11:22:32 AM »

RealaleMadrid

Thanks for the reply, i have as you suggested two ethernet cable in Lan1 and Lan2 , however when i try to access the modem thru browser  error 192.168.1.1 not reachable. If i connect Lan2 direct to computer and change the to manual ip address no problem i can enter modem admin.  I am running the modem to an Apple Airport Time capsule. I  believe this may be my problem as i think that the connection in the Airport is not recognising the ip address. As my router ip address are 10.0.1 xxx. Even when i scan for ip address the modem is not in the list only my Airport. I hope that this makes sense?

I understand that i need to use Telnet when i can access  thru the modem.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 11:37:25 AM »

Have you set up the Time Capsule with the Airport Utility to act as a router? You will need to setup the WAN side in the Internet tab (PPPoE giving your ISP credentials) and set the local LAN in the Network tab (Router Mode = DHCP and NAT).
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 12:12:25 PM »

You need to make the subnets match. Either the IP on the modem needs changing to 10.0.1.xxx or the Airport needs reconfiguring to use the 192.168.1.xxx subnet.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

mikey6283

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 04:11:57 PM »

Hi All

I am afraid  the set up has got me beat, I looked at get the HG612  modem 192.18.1.1( sub 255.255.255.0) and the ATC on the same  subnet , howe i see that the subnet for the iPV4 address is the  ip address for connection to BT server  ( 255.255.255.255). Lan address is now 192.168.1.1 as i changed the DHCP range to 192 ( rightly or wrongly)  but  internet and connection work perfectly. 

Vic0239 my Router is set up exactly as you have suggested.
Jelv  I cannot find away to  change the subnet  on my ATC to be same as modem as i said it has the BT server address subnet. I know this address is the BT server as this is the one i check the speeds thru Ola ?

The only way that i can connect to the HG612  is  Lan2 after i have  changed to ethernet adaptor to manual with 192.168.1.100. I was wondering if i should  make any changes on the modem it self?

If i cannot connect thru ATC/router  I am unable to use Telnet? I suppose the only other option is to ditch the ATC and get another router and hard drive ?

Thanks for all your help and advise as i am at a loss now.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 04:31:25 PM »

Would it not be easier to simply change the config on the HG612 to match the subnet you use elsewhere?

Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox
Pages: [1] 2 3