Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Dual Band Router issues  (Read 3207 times)

martinbaker2727

• Just arrived
Dual Band Router issues
« on: November 05, 2018, 09:03:00 AM »

Hello all!

About a year and a half ago I purchased a beast of a router to expand my internet capabilities (or something like that). When I got the thing it worked amazing! I had 0 issues with it for the longest time. But now things are a bit different.

About 4-6 months ago I moved from my previous house-(located in a subdivision within town) to a new "trailer home" located quite a ways out from town. I moved in and setup my router with no issue! It worked like a charm. Fast forward about 6 months later; the darn thing won't work! I called my ISP's and they said it's because the router is a dual band router and will not work with their services. But the thing is it was working for such a long time with no issues! I still would love to use this nice router out here but if there is nothing I can do I guess I must invest in a mediocre router.

The problem I'm having is the WAN light is lit a pink color. If I unplug the cord from modem it turns a deep RED.

Please if anyone can help, it would be much obliged. Thanks
[links removed by admin]

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: Dual Band Router issues
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 09:28:37 AM »

I called my ISP's and they said it's because the router is a dual band router and will not work with their services.

utter nonsense.
it would appear whoever you spoke to doesn't know what "dual band" actually is, as it refers to the WIFI network and nothing to do with the actual ISP connection.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 03:18:42 PM »

Yes, someone is having you on. The wireless local area network has nothing at all to do with the internet connection or with internet service providers. It just happens to be the case that you have a single box device that is doing several jobs, including connecting you to the internet and creating a wireless local-area network. The ISP cannot be bothered with giving out help concerning equipment that they did not supply. Luckily the good folks of Kitz are here to help.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 04:00:46 PM »

1. Plug a PC in to router using an Ethernet cable
2. Turn the WiFi off totally (both bands)
3. Attempt to connect.
4. Ring the ISP and tell then it is nothing to do with the WiFi as it is turned off

Irrespective of the outcome of step 4:

5. Find another ISP!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 04:29:40 PM »

OP
About 4-6 months ago I moved from my previous house-(located in a subdivision within town) to a new "trailer home" located quite a ways out from town.
Sorry for butting in with what may be an irrelevance, but those words suggests he is outside UK to me.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 04:50:12 PM »

OP Sorry for butting in with what may be an irrelevance, but those words suggests he is outside UK to me.

Yes indeed, also the spelling of "color" !

The problem I'm having is the WAN light is lit a pink color. If I unplug the cord from modem it turns a deep RED.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 09:30:38 PM »

Trailer for caravan or mobile home or whatever and ‘a ways’ suggest USA.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 02:15:44 PM »

....   and bye bye!
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 02:59:17 PM »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 03:22:51 PM »

As in

I was suspicious with the other post.
True to form, it came back a couple of hours ago and inserted spam links in both this and the other post using same IP block.

The posts remain because I've reported to SFS, which stops them being able to go and do same elsewhere.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 03:45:25 PM »

How effective will that be when SFS indicates it is a TOR exit node?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 03:59:49 PM »

>>> TOR exit node

If it's been reported then it will flag. I suppose there is always the possibility of a false positive for an innocent user coming through the same exit node, but then thats the chance you take if you are using TOR or a freebie proxy which are also often used for nefarious purposes :/ 

We have in the past silently banned or deleted account coming through proxies before they get to post.    SFS is usually very effective as one of the layers we use.  I don't just use their DB to stop them, but also actively report so that other forums who use SFS will benefit.   
-----

anything