Computers & Hardware > Networking

IPv6 addresses and domain names

(1/3) > >>

Weaver:
How do I associate domain names with the IPv6 addresses of machines on my LAN? And get PTR lookups of IPv6 addresses to work too.

I can’t set static IPv6 addresses, the machines don’t have facilities to set them up anyway. I can’t think of a way of tracking the addresses and then publishing them. Am I missing something obvious?

dee.jay:
Are you creating AAAA records and not A records?

Chrysalis:
You can setup sticky DHCP records, that link to DUID and the like.
Or static IPV6, I dont know of any OS that doesnt support static IPV6.

As dee.jay mentioned you use AAAA records to point a host name to an IPV6.

Weaver:
My iPads for instance generate random IPv6 addresses (based on the global, routable prefix advertised to them) and I don’t know of a way of arranging for domain names to automatically match these addresses. I don’t know if iPads can speak RFC 2136 (be clients) and register names. I have a local caching relay dns server in the Firebrick but it doesn’t accept RFC 2136 registrations anyway.

Perhaps I need the Firebrick to do LLMNR and/or mDNS if it gets a query relating to the local lan (a single label or with a special this-subnet dns suffix) that it doesn’t understand ? Or I need the iPads and everything else to just use mDNS and LLMNR for name resolution alongside DNS.

Chrysalis:
yeah ios seems stupid i cannot find a way to change the behaviour ill look again when back on desktop

ios is designed for consumer client use and typically consumer ipv6 has no hostname associated, as it doesnt need it

also do aaisp delegate or add control of ptr to you? you need that to edit reverse DNS

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version