Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Cookies  (Read 2182 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Cookies
« on: October 30, 2018, 06:55:56 PM »

Looking at the cookies set on my computer, I see most have completely unintelligible non informational names. Fuller details are available like;
Code: [Select]
a.audrte.com locally stored data
arcki2
Name
arcki2
Content
xUV1GdbGeA0zkrBn3FAphFL74aVubMSrWZmv0gjpudw1feQTV85QiRVa8qSm8fbi9I4QYmmtC8gXJ/Kxbe2R3IKUJgFndGUHVyLHDpX8zfj7wj71S7DkXdwivzTCgHFfzyH1Lg7dgLsJt7FWrJ2tPlyln/Pv9t9axXHSa+xgnW2ilAAyxEFA0twahv7ypA3lpQpLQrW5KVvs4KgRUggs2NGxWbPOiYjP
Domain
a.audrte.com
Path
/
Send for
Any kind of connection
Accessible to script
Yes
Created
Tuesday, October 30, 2018 at 12:38:01 PM
Expires
Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 12:38:02 PM

Apart from not easily knowing the organisation behind them, can anything be told from the expanded info e.g about safety?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Cookies
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 07:35:00 PM »

Whois’ will help you find out who is behind the domain name in question. Are you familiar with it?

As far as I am aware, there are absolutely no safety concerns with cookies at all. I do read some hysterical and ill informed stuff about cookies, where are freaking out about them people seem to have confused them with malware and maybe think that they are programs or who knows what. They are a privacy concern, but modern browsers should be set up to stop third-party websites, that is, websites other than the specific one that you are currently visiting, from peeking into cookies that do not belong to them. If the browser is not set up correctly in this respect then t certainly can be made so.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 09:05:02 PM »

I have configured my web-browser to routinely accept all cookies. They are then deleted, other than those on my white-list (e.g. kitz.co.uk), at close-down.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 10:36:31 PM »

Maybe I should do as B'cat, but without other action like whitelisting will the ones wanted be retained? The query arises from a problem with IPlayer (solved), and BBC Account advised not to block third party cookies on both its bbc.com and bbc.co.uk sites, and when I looked there were some from unwelcome world locations.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 11:24:59 PM »

. . . but without other action like whitelisting will the ones wanted be retained?

No, without some intervention by yourself the wanted cookies will also be deleted.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 11:57:34 PM »

Maybe the BBC want you to compromise your privacy because if some shady arrangement with third parties ? It seems like bad advice, trying to bully someone into accepting third party cookies.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 12:51:22 PM »

No, without some intervention by yourself the wanted cookies will also be deleted.
I've cleared out those not wanted, but for the sites I want cookies retained there are different versions, say, www.bbc.co.uk and bbc.co.uk, and maybe forum.bbc.co.uk. Do I need allow all or not?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 05:05:16 PM »

I have a series of allowed cookies saved for the BBC. So I suspect you will need to do likewise.

anything