Broadband Related > Telephony Wiring + Equipment

Redundant master socket

<< < (2/3) > >>

EZ Tutty:
Ideally the Redundant Master socket wants disconnecting from the External Junction Box. Any additional unfiltered wiring can greatly affect vdsl even if it's unused.

I recently removed a star configuration (2 masters, only 1 used) from my parents house (whilst also fitting a nte5c and mk4 faceplate + a slave telephone socket), and there vdsl speed jumped from 27/6.5 to 40/9 after a couple of days.

licquorice:

--- Quote from: badfish99 on October 26, 2018, 01:23:01 PM ---Photos will have to wait until I can turn off the internet and unscrew everything. In the meantime I've attached a bit of ascii art to show how everything is wired up. That won't be obvious anyway from a photo, as the junction box is a rat's nest inside (actually, a spider's nest).
I've just read some advice that surge suppressors in old master sockets will interfere with vdsl.  I suppose my unwanted socket contains one of those.

--- End quote ---

A simple sketch on a piece of paper scanned would be much simpler to understand, can't make any sense of your ascii art. Not at all clear what goes where.

burakkucat:

--- Quote from: badfish99 on October 26, 2018, 01:23:01 PM ---In the meantime I've attached a bit of ascii art to show how everything is wired up.

--- End quote ---

Thank you. I believe I understand the current configuration.

At the junction box, disconnect all four wires from the cable that leads to the old master socket. If you feel up to it, also remove the redundant cable and socket. As pointed out by EZ Tutty, the current wiring configuration is providing a classic bridging tap across the pair . . . to the detriment of the xDSL service.

badfish99:
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and for your patience with my ignorance.

Please, before I start irrevocably cutting wires that don't belong to me, indulge me with one more question. Right now, the brown 'bell' wire in my diagram is effectively tied to one of the signal wires via the 1.8uF capacitor in the redundant master socket. When I disconnected it at that end, my upstream rate fell sharply. I *guessed* that the disconnected 'floating' wire was somehow picking up RFI and then feeding it into the signal wires.

So: if I remove that socket and all its wiring, should the brown (and green) wires be connected inside the new master socket? If so, to what? If not, will the same phenomenon occur?

burakkucat:

--- Quote from: badfish99 on October 27, 2018, 06:41:31 PM ---Right now, the brown 'bell' wire in my diagram is effectively tied to one of the signal wires via the 1.8uF capacitor in the redundant master socket.

--- End quote ---

It is actually connected to the mid-point of a series connected 1.8uF and 470Kohm shunt across the incoming pair.

--- Quote ---When I disconnected it at that end, my upstream rate fell sharply. I *guessed* that the disconnected 'floating' wire was somehow picking up RFI and then feeding it into the signal wires.

--- End quote ---

That one wire can be the source of all sorts of evil to an xDSL circuit.

--- Quote ---So: if I remove that socket and all its wiring, should the brown (and green) wires be connected inside the new master socket?

--- End quote ---

No. Both wires should be left unconnected at both ends of that length of cable. Don't wind them around the external sheath of the cable; wind them around two fingers, then flatten the resultant oval into a "sausage" shape and tuck it into the back of the junction box & NTE5 backing box.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version