Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Short Lived Excitement  (Read 4918 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Short Lived Excitement
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2018, 01:33:46 PM »

John, I did say could have, it could be that they've installed a closer aggregation node or maybe not  :P

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Wirezfree

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2018, 02:23:19 PM »

John, I did say could have, it could be that they've installed a closer aggregation node or maybe not  :P

Not sure what that is...
But this is the new green cab that appeared on the development.
((I'm connected to CAB55 about 800/900M further down the lane from this one,

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2018, 02:56:48 PM »

That's just a boggo standard PCP cabinet, is it not?
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2018, 04:14:45 PM »

That's just a boggo standard PCP cabinet, is it not?

Yes, it is a Primary Cross-connection Point.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2018, 07:33:57 AM »

Hot off the press ....

We’ve slashed our prices to make it easier for ALL new-build homes to have access to Ultrafast broadband

Yesterday we announced new low pricing to encourage house builders to provide all new homes with full fibre.  Fibre To The Premises (FTTP) is already offered free on residential and mixed sites over 30 plots but from 1 November we're dropping the price of full fibre broadband infrastructure to new homes by 75 per cent for those developers with fewer than 30 premises.

The new pricing means UK house builders will pay just a fraction of the current costs if they ask us to build faster, more reliable FTTP technology to their new homes on small-scale developments.

It means more than 40,000 new homes across 5,000 small housing developments per year could benefit from being upgraded to the cutting edge technology which provides a faster, more stable fibre service.

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2018, 05:49:16 PM »

1. I was part of the first phase on the development Feb 2017, all are sold(100), they are now on phase 2.

A few years ago when Openreach first started offering FTTP at no additional cost to developers, the threshold was a minimum of 100 homes. This threshold was lowered to 30 homes in from Nov 2016 so it may have been your developer had already requested copper from Openreach before Nov 2016. I'm sure you know well that developers will always take the cheapest option and copper was cheaper than FTTP at the time from Openreach

TBH I would just be grateful that you've at least got FTTC, there's many horror stories of new build buyers stuck with a sub 3 Mbps ADSL service even in recent times.

mentaltom

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2018, 05:55:04 PM »

Oh my goodness, I just had to sign up to the forum to tell you that I feel your pain.  I moved in to my (Persimmon) property in December 2015.  At that time, there wasn't even FTTC.  It was ADSL only and we all get speeds of around 8Mbps.  Meanwhile, the main road off the development was FTTP as that had been planned many a year ago.  This was fair enough, and Openreach lead me to part-fund the cost of upgrading the cabinet (FTTC).  No sooner had I committed to paying nearly £5000 for this (and being told by residents that I had a screw loose because they already had fibre) than I realised that it was only a select number of homes still on copper ADSL, and that homes built 6 months after mine were being provisioned with FTTP from the outset. The fibre node is outside my house, and OR have quoted me another £8,500 to have FTTP.  It's a big mess.  Feel free to DM me if you want some empathy!! Tom
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 06:02:12 PM by mentaltom »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2018, 08:52:29 PM »

You say OR have quoted you £5k for FTTP, is that a desktop survey, or have you paid the £250 for a full and proper survey? Full surveys are coming far cheaper than desktop quotes.  Although if you don't have FTTC then you probably couldn't order FTTPod in theory.

mentaltom

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2018, 08:57:49 PM »

Hey, thanks for the reply. I have paid £5000 for the FTTC (Cabinet) and not FTTP - due to be live in February and will serve 407 properties. FTTP desktop quotation of £8500 was done through Openreach Community Fibre Partnership, but just for my property. It was recommended at first that I wait for the cabinet and then try for FTTPod. But to be honest, I wouldn’t know where to start in terms of ISPs offering it, and the packages available. I imagined that with FTTP being available to houses LITERALLY opposite, it would have been less than £8,500 and a lot easier for OR than running a new Fibre all the way from the cabinet.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2018, 09:19:39 PM »

Yes sorry I quoted the wrong figure there I should have said £8.5k. FTTPod is run from the nearest aggregation node, which is not necessarily near the FTTC cabinet - one node could serve a many cabinets or properties, so could be some distance away. However there have been many examples of desktop quotes coming in  high because they are using inaccurate data. Best advice is to wait for the FTTC cab to go live, then request an FTTPod desktop quote, then pay the £250 for a proper survey.

You'll find these threads interesting reading, they will also give info on which ISP's can offer FTTPod.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4586020-fttpod-unreal-pricing.html?vc=1
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4595298-fttpod-desktop-quotes-and-final-prices.html?vc=1
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4604719-re-fttpod-desktop-quotes-and-final-prices.html

mentaltom

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2018, 09:26:05 PM »

Thank you Ronski that is really helpful and hopefully helps the OP too. I suppose if it’s run from the node and not the cabinet, then I am unsure why I need to wait for the cabinet to go live first, bearing in mind the infrastructure is already there for the adjacent FTTP properties.

But, I’ll see how I get on with FTTC. Going from 8Mb to hopefully 60Mb will be a cast improvement and may pacify me for a couple of years. It’s just frustrating the way the whole thing turned out due to timing of OR and BDUK projects starting and finishing!

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2018, 10:17:45 PM »

That's because the system will not allow an FTTPoD offer unless the serving PCP is enabled for Fibre.
So until the FTTC cabinet is live you can't order FTTPoD.

Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

mentaltom

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2018, 08:37:34 PM »

Thanks Everyone.  That's something I will consider then, if I want to futureproof my house with the FTTP. But knowing me, I may just end up bonding a could of VDSLs together like I did with ADSL - it worked very well!
Pages: 1 [2]