Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Short Lived Excitement  (Read 4957 times)

Wirezfree

Short Lived Excitement
« on: October 24, 2018, 10:13:52 PM »

Hi All,

Live on a largish new build development. (Initially had an issue getting FTTC)
Over the summer it was like a BT-OR Party... Van after Van.. Big Vans, Little Vans.
A Truck with a Big roll on it.. and assorted other vans... I spoke to one BT-OR chap, turns out he was a planner.
Fibre to the premises is being rolled out... Woopy Dooo... He said basically watch this space...

Then 2 weeks ago a Big Sign went up "500Mbps now available on this Development"

So go to Sales Office to enquire... Yes it is available... But only in the "New.. New Houses" What...!!!

Needless to say... I'm not going to let this go...
Even if it's taking them to Advertising Standards Agency... It's only on selected parts...

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Short Lived Excitement
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 10:31:28 PM »

I can see the reason for your frustration.  :(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 10:33:20 PM »

In fairness the advertising banner that you posted reads “up to 500Mbps”.   In terms of English
language that  conveys the fact that 500Mbps may be available to some people under some circumstances, but not everybody, and emphasising “may be”.

ADSL speeds of (say) 2Mbps meet the description of “up to 500Mbps”, as do dial up speeds of 56kbps. :)

Wirezfree

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 10:38:47 PM »

In fairness the advertising banner that you posted reads “up to 500Mbps”.   In terms of English
language that  conveys the fact that 500Mbps may be available to some people under some circumstances, but not everybody, and emphasising “may be”.

ADSL speeds of (say) 2Mbps meet the description of “up to 500Mbps”, as do dial up speeds of 56kbps. :)

I understand that part... Sorry I should have qualified further...
It turns out that they have not put, or planning to put any fibre in to the corner of the development I'm on.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 11:30:04 PM »

I once bought a home on a new build estate. 

Long predated broadband, but  ISTR there was a clause in the contract whereby the developer, if they failed to complete infrastructure such as completion of roads, street lighting etc  to standards demanded by local authorities within a certain number of years, they would have to compensate purchasers so they themselves could pay to bring it all up to scratch.

If you feel FTTP was a reasonable expectation, might be worth checking the contract? 

Wirezfree

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 11:54:11 PM »

I once bought a home on a new build estate. 

Long predated broadband, but  ISTR there was a clause in the contract whereby the developer, if they failed to complete infrastructure such as completion of roads, street lighting etc  to standards demanded by local authorities within a certain number of years, they would have to compensate purchasers so they themselves could pay to bring it all up to scratch.

If you feel FTTP was a reasonable expectation, might be worth checking the contract?

There was no expectation... Originally there was only VMB on offer, and I eventually got FTTC

ads

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 04:56:53 AM »

It also clearly states "totally unlimited full fibre optic internet access directly into your home" rather than only as far as the cabinet.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 06:26:22 AM »

When FTTPod becomes available again you might want to see how much that costs, as having full fttp close by could have substantially reduced the installation cost. If you run a business from home then you could also get a £3k voucher towards the cost. You'll almost certainly need to pay £250 to get a realistic price, as the free desktop quotes can be widely out.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 07:37:33 AM »

I understand that part... Sorry I should have qualified further...
It turns out that they have not put, or planning to put any fibre in to the corner of the development I'm on.

I'm not completely au-fait with the 'why's and wherefore's' of FTTP roll-out ..... but I'm sure if one performs a search, it will lead to documentation surrounding provision to new-build dwellings ??.

The rules have changed in recent months, regarding the amount of new-build properties before free FTTP will be installed. This may have been the reason your own new-build (how old is it ??) missed the cut ??.

But in defence of OR, they can't just start laying FTTP just because there are other older 'new builds' around the corner. That would set a precedent for the whole of the UK, not just your locality.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 09:20:31 AM »

edit: chopped my first line off by mistake.

It's because OpenReach will install FTTP for FREE for NEW developments only.

The developer would have to pay (a quite considerable amount) to retrospectively fit FTTP for the existing properties.

Needless to say... I'm not going to let this go...
Even if it's taking them to Advertising Standards Agency... It's only on selected parts...

Good luck with that, you will need it.

The ASA won't take your case, I'm not even sure if they cover such adverts.

The only time I've seen developers change their mind on such things is those who have stumped up for an FTTC cab after residents either

1. got local press involved, negative publicity affects sales.
2. residents put signs in their garden stating local internet on the new development was shocking.

But you already have FTTC.
A sign saying I can only get 80Mb doesn't have the same effect as a sign saying I get 2Mb broadband.

The critical question is, are all the plots on your section of the development sold already?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 09:24:11 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 09:31:26 AM »

I dunno, it's an interesting one because his house is on the development.

That advert is implying that all houses should be receiving it. I'd be annoyed too.

Very naughty that it's only in the "New New" houses though...
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 10:46:11 AM »

When FTTPod becomes available again you might want to see how much that costs, as having full fttp close by could have substantially reduced the installation cost. If you run a business from home then you could also get a £3k voucher towards the cost. You'll almost certainly need to pay £250 to get a realistic price, as the free desktop quotes can be widely out.

Curious as to how this would be cheaper?
It's still priced from the nearest Agg Node which will probably be the same Agg Node as before this FTTP popped up.

If my neighbour has a completed FTTPod build I still pay the same huge cost.
The fact large chunks of infrastructure is in place seems to make no difference to quotes.
As seen by quotes for neighbouring FTTPod properties on ThinkBroadband FTTPod threads.

edit: clarify that part. If my neighbour had FTTPod under the old ordering process. Under the new process those who share a DP get free native FTTP.
Still part shared infrastructure seems to make no difference to desktop quotes at least.
Surely OpenReach know where their brand new expensive FTTP infrastructure is (not sure if that's sarcasm or not).
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 10:49:52 AM by j0hn »

Wirezfree

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 10:52:06 AM »

Hi All,

Thanks...
To add some comments to cover your comments..

1. I was part of the first phase on the development Feb 2017, all are sold(100), they are now on phase 2.
2. This a development at the end of lane, only fields surround it,.
3. I can see that a lot of the houses took the VMB route, I can see the capping(brown) on the front walls, mine is grey.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 10:56:25 AM »

I dunno, it's an interesting one because his house is on the development.

That advert is implying that all houses should be receiving it. I'd be annoyed too.

Very naughty that it's only in the "New New" houses though...

And my Tesco has a sign saying baby and child parking available here. The space I parked in didn't have it though.

That sign doesn't claim ALL homes, though it doesn't clarify NEW homes.
It's rather vague, and simply claims ULTRAFAST BROADBAND AVAILABLE ON THIS DEVELOPMENT
Which it is.

If that sign was there when YOU bought your home you would have a claim of wrongful advertising.
The fact is you're already a resident, a paid up customer.

As I stated before
The critical question is, are all the plots on your section of the development sold already?

edit:

1. I was part of the first phase on the development Feb 2017, all are sold(100), they are now on phase 2.

I can't see much hope then.

If they need to pass your home to reach this new section a big sign in the garden might get the developers attention.
If you are tucked away in a cul-de-sac you might be out of luck.
I believe it to be quite an expensive option to pay OpenReach to retrospectively fit FTTP.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 11:02:09 AM by j0hn »

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 11:48:15 AM »

Yes, agreed, j0hn.

Well, 2025 isn't that far away...
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox
Pages: [1] 2