Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A conundrum  (Read 1810 times)

andyfitter

• Reg Member
A conundrum
« on: October 21, 2018, 06:58:32 PM »

Hi. I’ve a weird problem with my line that I’d appreciate opinions on how to proceed.

Ive ived in the same place for 6 years now. In that time I’ve alternated between BT and Sky for landline and FTTC. My last switch was from BT to Sky in January.

I normally sync at 77/20. My FTTC is definitely provided by Sky

Over the last month my line has degraded significantly. I now get around 60/10. I initially thought it was interference from a nearby building site, but today the voice service went completely, and broadband is still degraded. At this point I now think it was a connection that gradually got worse and is now open circuit,  and likely a ‘one leg dis’ fault.

I phoned Sky, to report a landline fault initially. After a long delay they told me I don’t have a landline with Sky. I checked my bills and it appears I actually don’t. The migration from BT never seemed to happen and Sky have no record of my number. I then checked my BT account and the last time I paid a landline charge was December and it says the account is closed.

I basically have a landline that neither Sky nor Bt want to take responsibility for, that has worked for 10 months on the number I’ve had for 6 years, but nobody has charged me for, for the last 10 months. And now it has a fault.

How do I get this mess sorted out?

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: A conundrum
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 07:04:53 PM »

You could try placing an order with Sky to take over the line.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 07:17:56 PM »

Thanks, that’s certainly an option. However there appears no way to do this from the Sky site. I guess I need to call.

What makes no sense is that Sky don’t offer FTTC on its own, it’s always bundled in with broadband. I seem to just have BB. I guess the migration failed for some reason and my line was left in Limbo.

Is there any online tool to tell which provider ‘owns’ a phone number and the line it’s associated with?

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 08:38:52 PM »

I searched and found sites for "who owns phone number and found https://www.syntec.co.uk/who-owns-my-number/. It worked for  a couple of knowns.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 08:44:19 PM »

It gives me the wrong answer!

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 08:48:24 PM »

Mine says BT which supports it not being ported properly.

Starman

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 08:53:33 PM »

I suspect its based on who Ofcom originally issued the number range to rather than the current provider collecting the line rental.

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 08:57:19 PM »

Not sure. I was given this number from Sky as a new account. Maybe it had previously been ported into Sky.

When a number is ceased I presume ‘ownership’ of it doesn’t revert back to the original owning operator?

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 08:59:40 PM »

I suspect its based on who Ofcom originally issued the number range to rather than the current provider collecting the line rental.
That would fit for me. My number was allocated by BT when I last moved house but my rental is now with Pulse8. It reports as BT.

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 09:26:57 PM »

That site said I was with BT, when I am in fact with Sky.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 08:51:34 AM »

Sorry it didn't work! :-[ Sites like that are a good idea only provided they are kept utd, but too often they're not. IMO there lies a big weakness of the entries of the internet. :(

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 09:17:46 AM »

Sounds like Sky are at fault here and they are responsible for correcting it.

Do you have a copy or your original order from Sky and does it quote they are taking over the landline?

I checked my bills and it appears I actually don’t.

Is your Sky broadband bill significantly lower than their standard broadband charge? Some ISP's don't specifically mention line rental.

Either way its up to Sky to fix this.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

anything