Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Zyxel VMG1312 and Best Practice  (Read 3680 times)

joemun

• Just arrived
Zyxel VMG1312 and Best Practice
« on: October 21, 2018, 02:49:11 PM »

Hi all,

I'd like to start by saying thank you to all of the contributors on here as you've so far helped me out quite a bit, particularly j0hn, trejan, dee.jay and burakkucat.

I've recently moved out of Hull which has meant that I've been able to move from KCOM's ADSL service to a FTTC package with TalkTalk.

I'd previously been using a Vigor 120 and an Apple Time Capsule (ATC) as the router. Obviously, switching to VDSL meant a new solution was required. TalkTalk provided their less than great 'Super Hub' which I found to have abysmal wifi performance and a complete lack of configuration options, to the point that I couldn't even put it in a bridge/modem only mode.

With this in mind I decided to hasten my quest to upgrade my equipment. I decided to focus on the modem side of things first as that was causing me the biggest headache with regards to the TT hub. Based on recommendations from this forum I managed to get hold of a ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A. I wasn't initially able to get it to connect to my broadband service, which I put down to the fact that it was originally issued by Zen. After doing some digging (and receiving some help) I was able to reset the ROM-D and start fresh.

Following my fresh start, I was still unable to connect when configuring the modem with my PPPoE credentials and other correct settings. I consulted Google and stumbled upon an interesting post/configuration. This user utilised IPoE which I had never heard of. See here for this person's settings. I configured the modem to match their details and found that it actually connected!

Following this discovery, I started to follow the guide here to put the Zyxel into bridge mode, wondering how the TC would cope with being in DHCP mode as opposed to PPPoE. To my amazement, this did actually work and the TC successfully connected and took on my external IP without issue.

Unfortunately this is where the success of the story ends. After switching the modem to bridge mode, I was unable to access the Zyxel admin webpage. Knowing that this would be the case, I reset the modem, reconfigured and attempted to set up an interface group, following the final steps of the linked guide. Disappointingly, this didn't work and seemed to completely break everything. I have reset and reconfigured a couple of times and am 100% sure that my internet connection drops (or fails to be sent to the correct place!) each time I configure the interface groups. I say this because I tried to put the Zyxel into routing mode and still aggregate the LAN ports, and even with only one cable connected to the TC (LAN 1 on Zyxel to WAN on TC) the connection was still not functional.

At present I have the internet working with IPoE, bridged to the TC. My only issue is that the Wifi is still turned on on the Zyxel (which causes issues if anything tried to connect as it is forwarding the external IP) and that I can't access any stats.

Apologies for the essay - I thought it best to give more information than not enough! Thank you for reading and I'm eager to hear any suggestions on this!

Kind regards,
Joe

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Zyxel VMG1312 and Best Practice
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 03:43:56 PM »

Do you have another router you could try this with to rule out the ATC as the issue? You may find you aren't making any mistakes with the zyxel configuration.

Thank you for the kind words  :-[

and welcome to kitz!
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 04:23:44 PM »

Welcome to the forum Joe!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 04:29:38 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

If I am understanding things correctly you have two outstanding problems --
  • Still having the WIFi enabled on the VMG1312-B10A.
  • Usage with the Apple TC.
The first one is quite simple . . . With the VMG1312-B10A disconnected from the line (to avoid irritating the DLM), perform a reset to the default settings. Then reconfigure the device, leaving the switch from routing to bridge mode as the last step.

As for the second problem, it is difficult for me to make any suggestions as I do not have any knowledge of the ATC. As j0hn has suggested, a temporary test with another router may assist.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 04:45:28 PM »

My pleasure, glad I was able to help someone out with the knowledge I have learned, although someone else did actually provide the password for you :)

AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

joemun

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 09:36:18 PM »

Hi all,

Just to clarify this situation, the problem only seems to occur when I configure the interface groups. Whether or not the Zyxel is in routing or bridge mode is irrelevant - as soon as I configure as per the final step, I loose internet access.

I suppose my questions are:
  • If the Zyxel is in Routing mode and I configure the WAN to LAN1, should I still be able to access the internet from LAN 1 only? (I suspect yes.)
  • What is IPoE and is it common? (and how does it work?!)
  • Does this seem like the right configuration for TT?
  • Why would changing the interface groups cause the connection to drop?
  • With the Zyxel in bridge and no special WAN configuration, is there any way to access the admin page without a reset?

p.s. I don't have any other router without a modem. Wondering if the Zyxel AMG-1302 I have from KCOM may work although I don't recall if it had a WAN port or not.

Joe

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 09:58:44 AM »

Talktalk are the only ISP I'm aware of who use IPoE
Customers with other ISP's on Talktalk backhaul (AAISP, Uno, etc) still use PPPoE.
Most other ISP's use PPPoE except Sky.
Sky use DHCP Option 61 but many routers have issues with this.
IPoE is better than PPPoE

1. Yes?
2. Not common in UK over Openreach network.

IPoE "IP packets encapsulated in Ethernet Frames"
PPPoE "IP packets encapsulated in PPP, which is in turn encapsulated in Ethernet Frames"

3. Absolutely. You can't use Talktalk without IPoE. You wouldn't want to, it's more efficient than PPPoE.
4. No idea, never seen that before.
5. I'm not sure sorry.

I don't have any other router without a modem. Wondering if the Zyxel AMG-1302 I have from KCOM may work although I don't recall if it had a WAN port or not.

There are a few models of the Zyxel AMG1302

Zyxel AMG1302-T11C can configure LAN1 as WAN port
Zyxel AMG1302-T10(A/B) I am unsure sorry.

joemun

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 09:53:41 PM »

Problem solved - I think there was some kind of strange DHCP argument taking place!

Turned off DHCP on the Zyxel, set the IP and subnet to something similar to the ATC, then set up a reservation on the ATC.

All working good, apart from now having two ethernet cables which makes it more difficult to get the modem next to the master socket!

Cheers,

Joe

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 09:34:22 AM »

Depending how clever and customisable the ATC is, more advanced routers can configure static routes and do what you want with a single cable.

Not a clue what the ATC can do though.

joemun

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 01:22:48 PM »

It won’t be staying for very long!

In its defence, it is 10 years old and has served the purpose well as a NAS and a pretty speedy WiFi AP so I can’t complain.

Would be interested to learn how to setup with one cable though?

The placement of my master socket isn’t too bad to get the modem next to it and then run a cat6 to the Router, but running 2x cat6 is impossible. For ease until I get sorted I have placed everything at the end of a telephone extension cable (nothing fancy) and noticed a 6Mb drop in my sync speed! I’ll be moving the modem to the socket and using a power line adapter for the stats for now until I can get a more capable router.

Any recommendations?

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 08:53:50 PM »

Would be interested to learn how to setup with one cable though?

The way I do it is using a NAT masquerade rule on my EdgeRouter. The basic problem you have is that the PC can get to the modem (routed through the ATC) but the modem does not know the return path to get to the PC because it doesn't have a default gateway when in bridge mode. The modem can only talk to its local "on-link" network which is a different subnet to your home network.

If you have a capable router like the EdgeRouter, it's dead simple:

Code: [Select]
ubnt@ubnt# show service nat rule 5011
 description VDSL_Modem
 destination {
     address 192.168.2.0/24
 }
 log disable
 outbound-interface eth1
 protocol all
 type masquerade

Modem is plugged into eth1. 192.168.1.0/24 is my home network. 192.168.2.0/24 is the EdgeRouter to modem network. Anything sent to hosts in the 192.168.2.0/24 network "hides" behind the IP address of eth1. Happy days.

On Zyxel devices, there is an option to add a static route (Network Setting > Routing > Static Route) but I'm not sure it works when in bridge mode. Worth a try though.

Any recommendations?

I can highly recommend the EdgeRouter series of routers. Incredibly capable and very affordable, but there is a bit of a steep learning curve.
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

anything