Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT infinity With HG612 and powerlines ?  (Read 2751 times)

doct14

• Just arrived
BT infinity With HG612 and powerlines ?
« on: October 19, 2018, 01:42:24 PM »

Hi all , I am new to the forum , and really enjoy reading here , very helpful so far .
I have a question:
I wanted to connect my unlocked HG612  3b to a power-line in the garage and then use some power-lines in the living room to connect tv , a tv box , and a WiFi router . see the attached picture .
( the power-line works fine through the circuit ) is that something possible ?
at the moment i have tried ( with some advice to connect directly one power-line to the hg612 and another to one PC with internet working fine , but cant connect more than one device to other power-lines )see my diagram attached
many thanks in advance
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 01:45:20 PM by doct14 »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: BT infinity With HG612 and powerlines ?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 02:06:51 PM »

You presumably have the powerline plugged in to the WAN socket on the router. I think you will need to use a double port powerline for the router and connect one of the LAN ports to to the powerline as well as the connection you have at the moment will only handle direct communication between the router and HG612. All internet traffic needs to go via the router to perform NAT etc. which is why you need the second connection to the LAN side of the router.

Note that there will be a performance hit compared to having the router in the garage. Your traffic will be doubled on the powerline network.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 02:36:23 PM »

I think what you want isn't possible.
The Huawei HG612 is just a modem. The router would be to be connected before the powerlines.

The Samsung TV and Android tv box wouldn't be able to obtain an IP.

Can you even bridge between modem and router with powerlines? That still wouldn't allow the smart tv section of the link to work though.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

doct14

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 02:53:41 PM »

thank you for the answers
i have changed the settings on the hg612 to router mode to have internet to the pc via power-line. it works .
any advice on a cheap router for iptv and light gaming please?

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 04:04:27 PM »

I think what you want isn't possible.
The Huawei HG612 is just a modem. The router would be to be connected before the powerlines.

The Samsung TV and Android tv box wouldn't be able to obtain an IP.

Can you even bridge between modem and router with powerlines? That still wouldn't allow the smart tv section of the link to work though.

I can't remember where, but I'm pretty sure I've seen a post somewhere where this has been done - I'll go hunting - I think it was somewhere on here.

The Samsung TV and Android tv box will get their IP's from the LAN port on the router so that bit definitely isn't an issue. It's just the modem -> router I'm not sure about.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

doct14

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 05:13:14 PM »

thank you very much . please let me know if you find anything , i will look as well . in the meanwhile i will play with a cheap router , might get a home hub 3 .

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 05:15:58 PM »

With the HG612 in route mode it will issue an IP and work but this is not ideal for FTTC.

What are your FTTC speeds?

With my HG612 at my previous property I got nearly the full 80/20 (actually 78/20).
In route mode the HG612 regularly dropped below 40Mb combined upload/download.

The hardware just isn't powerful enough to do DHCP/PPP/xDSL with high throughput.

doct14

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 05:27:30 PM »

With the HG612 in route mode it will issue an IP and work but this is not ideal for FTTC.

What are your FTTC speeds?

With my HG612 at my previous property I got nearly the full 80/20 (actually 78/20).
In route mode the HG612 regularly dropped below 40Mb combined upload/download.

The hardware just isn't powerful enough to do DHCP/PPP/xDSL with high throughput.
I m on the 50 megs, yesterday after pluging it in route mode i got 51.51/9.26 ) - but when i tried to plug 2 devices which worked for a brief time ,then one device stopped , after that the speed dropped to 45 ish down .

doct14

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 05:29:50 PM »

I m on the 50 megs, yesterday after pluging it in route mode i got 51.51/9.26 ) - but when i tried to plug 2 devices which worked for a brief time ,then one device stopped , after that the speed dropped to 45 ish down .
do u suggest any budget router with ac ? ( iptv and light gaming form my 8 years old son)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 06:24:46 PM »

I can't remember where, but I'm pretty sure I've seen a post somewhere where this has been done - I'll go hunting - I think it was somewhere on here.

As it is Ethernet frames being transferred between the two points there is no reason why it should not work. A PPP session is nothing special and will just be carried within the Ethernet frames.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

doct14

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 10:55:21 PM »

Hi all ( i found a virgin media ac super hub laying around  so i used it as a temp router ) the picture attache  is working with no issues at all . loss of 1 to 2 ms ping and between 3 to 8 meg download . only one cable etween router and powerline
i will try my original plan later and update u as well

doct14

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2018, 12:42:55 AM »

my initial plan seems to work , apart from issues with 5ghz wwifi with my phone , but that is due to the crappy virgin media hub i guess .
i will keep testing .

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2018, 10:17:51 AM »

If you have found another router lying around (the Virgin hub) I strongly recommend installing this before the powerlines, or in some way that involves the HG612 in bridge mode.

The HG612 doesn't have the hardware to cope with your speeds while in route mode.
It will regularly drop below 40Mb combined up/down, and even down to 20-30Mb (combined) during intensive usage.
I would consider all the devices you listed as intensive usage for the HG612.

I would only recommend the HG612 in route mode for ADSL connections or perhaps FTTC/VDSL2 around half the sync you achieve.

doct14

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2018, 11:39:04 AM »

If you have found another router lying around (the Virgin hub) I strongly recommend installing this before the powerlines, or in some way that involves the HG612 in bridge mode.

The HG612 doesn't have the hardware to cope with your speeds while in route mode.
It will regularly drop below 40Mb combined up/down, and even down to 20-30Mb (combined) during intensive usage.
I would consider all the devices you listed as intensive usage for the HG612.

I would only recommend the HG612 in route mode for ADSL connections or perhaps FTTC/VDSL2 around half the sync you achieve.
you are correct there are drops . i will invest on a router just finding the right one is a challange ( i am not good at it )