Broadband Related > Telephony Wiring + Equipment

Finding line length on FTTC

(1/3) > >>

michty_me:
I know on ADSL it was a bit easier to have a more educated guess on your line length by looking at the stats.
Is there any way to get a fairly accurate line length estimate from your house to the cab or is it a case of using Google maps to plot a possible route and hope for the best? I seem to remember people saying using the attenuation didn't work as well on FTTC.

dee.jay:
You can use the Google maps method, but that is only as good as "the crow flies"

I always assumed my line length was 500m using the above method, but it turns out, I am actually 600m in real distance because the underground distribution point for my street runs past my house, so I'm 50m in the wrong direction to start with!

So it may be a case of having to do some investigation out in the street as well. All depends how your lines are routed of course. Some lines are on telegraph poles of course, so much easier to see where they go.

4candles:

--- Quote from: dee.jay on October 19, 2018, 12:09:48 PM ---You can use the Google maps method, but that is only as good as "the crow flies"

--- End quote ---
Right click on a location and select "Measure distance". Left click on another location and you'll get the straight line distance.
Now hover anywhere on the line, and you can move it bit by bit so that you can follow the curves and corners in the road(s).

dee.jay:

--- Quote from: 4candles on October 19, 2018, 02:07:29 PM ---Right click on a location and select "Measure distance". Left click on another location and you'll get the straight line distance.
Now hover anywhere on the line, and you can move it bit by bit so that you can follow the curves and corners in the road(s).

--- End quote ---

A very good point - I somewhat failed to highlight that. One still needs to work out where the wires go first, though :)

michty_me:
So using the method above and depending which entrance the PCP takes into my street, my line length is either roughly 490m or 330m give or take. Pity as I can see it from my window and a straight line measurement is 55m or so.
Reason I was asking was g.fast pods started appearing in surrounding areas so I was wanting to see if it was worth while getting my hopes up. I guess not  :lol:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version