Broadband Related > Telephony Wiring + Equipment

Master Sockets and Routers

(1/2) > >>

firstlightdirect:
Hi All

Please can I ask advice.

We currently have a broadband line and telephone going up to our summer house where we have run our business from. We are moving the business into the house and need to have the line and router in the house now as the distance is to great.

Is it possible when openreach come for them to leave the master socket in the summer house so we can still use the router that is in there and also connect on the same wire a new master socket in the house and use another router in the house master socket?

i.e 2 master sockets on same line and run 2 routers in different areas?

Thank you in advance for any help

chenks:
you can't use two routers on the the same line.
2 sockets is fine, but not two routers.

Westie:
There are others on here more knowledgeable than I, but as I understand it:

You can only have 1 "master" socket per telephone line, although you can have other sockets on the line. It's better to "daisy-chain" them rather than use "star" wiring topology.

You can only have one modem per telephone line, and it's this which sorts out the broadband signal and passes it to a router for distribution around the local area network (LAN). These days modem and router are often combined into one unit, which is technically a modem/router, but often referred to as a "router". The modem doesn't have to be on the master socket (although it's usually better if it is.

In short, you can probably move the master socket into the house, run the router from that, and keep an extension telephone line to the summer house. You will need to run a separate line from a LAN port on the router (or use WiFi) to the summer house.

Of course, the Openreach engineer will be able to see the actual site configuration, so will be in the best position to advise.

jelv:
If you need WiFi in the summer house and it is too far away to pick up WiFi from the house you will need to put a wireless access point (WAP) in to the summer house which is connected to the router in the house by Ethernet. If you can't run an Ethernet cable from a LAN port on the router to the summer house, homeplug/powerline may be a solution. https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5585575 combines the two functions (powerline+WAP). I will comment that a lot of people don't like powerline as they can sometimes affect the broadband connection and there are security concerns if not set up properly.

chenks:
remember that powerline adaptors will only work if both the main house and summer house are on the same electrical circuit.
i'd be surprised if the seperate summer house was on the same circuit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version