Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Master Sockets and Routers  (Read 2295 times)

firstlightdirect

• Just arrived
Master Sockets and Routers
« on: October 19, 2018, 09:53:37 AM »

Hi All

Please can I ask advice.

We currently have a broadband line and telephone going up to our summer house where we have run our business from. We are moving the business into the house and need to have the line and router in the house now as the distance is to great.

Is it possible when openreach come for them to leave the master socket in the summer house so we can still use the router that is in there and also connect on the same wire a new master socket in the house and use another router in the house master socket?

i.e 2 master sockets on same line and run 2 routers in different areas?

Thank you in advance for any help

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: Master Sockets and Routers
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 10:08:40 AM »

you can't use two routers on the the same line.
2 sockets is fine, but not two routers.

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 10:13:32 AM »

There are others on here more knowledgeable than I, but as I understand it:

You can only have 1 "master" socket per telephone line, although you can have other sockets on the line. It's better to "daisy-chain" them rather than use "star" wiring topology.

You can only have one modem per telephone line, and it's this which sorts out the broadband signal and passes it to a router for distribution around the local area network (LAN). These days modem and router are often combined into one unit, which is technically a modem/router, but often referred to as a "router". The modem doesn't have to be on the master socket (although it's usually better if it is.

In short, you can probably move the master socket into the house, run the router from that, and keep an extension telephone line to the summer house. You will need to run a separate line from a LAN port on the router (or use WiFi) to the summer house.

Of course, the Openreach engineer will be able to see the actual site configuration, so will be in the best position to advise.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 10:54:26 AM »

If you need WiFi in the summer house and it is too far away to pick up WiFi from the house you will need to put a wireless access point (WAP) in to the summer house which is connected to the router in the house by Ethernet. If you can't run an Ethernet cable from a LAN port on the router to the summer house, homeplug/powerline may be a solution. https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5585575 combines the two functions (powerline+WAP). I will comment that a lot of people don't like powerline as they can sometimes affect the broadband connection and there are security concerns if not set up properly.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 12:25:23 PM »

remember that powerline adaptors will only work if both the main house and summer house are on the same electrical circuit.
i'd be surprised if the seperate summer house was on the same circuit.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 12:34:08 PM »

I've successfully used powerline adaptors across circuits that were on separate fuse boxes (but from the same meter). Also you occasionally hear of people cross connecting from different houses (but which are on the same phase) hence the security concerns! The speed may not be as good but they are likely to work.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 01:00:14 PM »

If you need WiFi in the summer house and it is too far away to pick up WiFi from the house you will need to put a wireless access point (WAP) in to the summer house which is connected to the router in the house by Ethernet.

Another possibility may be to mount an external WAP on the side of the house facing the summerhouse, and connect that to the house router by Ethernet.

anything