Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Rpi DVB TV m.HAT  (Read 2776 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
Rpi DVB TV m.HAT
« on: October 18, 2018, 03:42:16 PM »

From mail-shot today, just out I believe, a DTV (terrestrial) add-on for all RPi's including RPi Zero: Raspberry Pi TV HAT

Has recording capability, good guide to setup & configuration here: How To Stream Digital TV With The Raspberry Pi TV HAT

At £20 + P&P must be worth a look especially for RPi media server users.

[Moderator edited to adjust the links.]

« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 08:24:15 PM by burakkucat »
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

re0

• Reg Member
Re: Rpi DVB TV m.HAT
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 06:13:59 PM »

Should be fine with all Raspberry Pi boards including the Pi Zero as long as you are only using it as a server. It might be a little more challenging (and not recommended) to watch TV on the Pi Zero itself because of the processing power necessary. Presumably it may be possible to have a problem-free experiencing watching directly on the Zero, but it may need some optimising and perhaps only standard definition will be conceivable. Time will tell once we see people using the combination.

A little excerpt from the Raspberry Pi blog:
With the board, you can receive and view television on a Raspberry Pi, or you can use your Pi as a server to stream television over a network to other devices. The TV HAT works with all 40-pin GPIO Raspberry Pi boards when running as a server. If you want to watch TV on the Pi itself, we recommend using a Pi 2, 3, or 3B+, as you may need more processing power for this.

ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

tiffy

• Kitizen
Re: Rpi DVB TV m.HAT
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 08:22:18 PM »

Yes, I did think that a RPi Zero might struggle although I have found them more than adequate on DSLStats service with two different Billion routers remotely monitored, router USB power source and Wi-Fi connection is very handy, certainly a much less demanding application of course.

I had my RPi 3B+ in mind which is currently free, I don't use a media server as yet, might be an interesting project and certainly doesn't cost a fortune for the DVB TV m.HAT board.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

anything