Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Should I Buy Another Modem?  (Read 1772 times)

keyap

Should I Buy Another Modem?
« on: October 17, 2018, 09:05:48 PM »

Hi all,

For the last couple of years I've been running an unlocked HG612 3B as a modem with an ASUS RT-AC68U running the latest Merlin FW as the router. 

I thought it would be good to have a 'backup' modem so just purchased, but haven't tried yet, a Zyxel VMG8924-B10A and was wondering whether it would be worth giving others a try?

I'm guessing there's no definitive answer given it can vary line to line, but it would be good to get some thoughts. Models would need to be compatible with DSLStats, and perform to at least the standard of my existing set up (a few of my line stats and details of my set up are here: https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,22593.0.html).

I'm not adverse to simply having a second HG612 if that's the best solution and models I'm considering are, but not limited to:

* HG612
* Zyxel VMG8924-B10A
* Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (not really sure if this would differ to the 8924 as, from what I understand, it's identical bar the 5G)
* Zyxel VMG1312-B10A

I'm leaning towards the Zyxels simply based on positive comments on this forum.

Thanks

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Should I Buy Another Modem?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 09:53:00 PM »

I may be interpreting your post incorrectly but from your second sentence I believe you now own a ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A. If that is the case, why not just configure it off-line (including obtaining its supervisor password) and, at an appropriate moment, swap it for the HG612? Once tested, you will have some sort of "feel" how a ZyXEL device behaves on your line.

As you have correctly identified, the VMG8924-B10A and VMG8324-B10A only differ by the WiFI bands. The former has both 2.4GHz & 5GHz WiFi whilst the latter has only 2.4GHz WiFi.

The ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A is no longer manufactured and so they are now being advertised at a "premium" price.  ::)

The Huawei HG612 is now rather old but is still serviceable.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

keyap

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 10:08:18 PM »

Thanks burakkucat

Yes... I do now have a ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A and plan is pretty much as per your first paragraph.

Was just wondering though what other people's thoughts were and whether there's anything else out there worth considering?

Is it safe to say that the 8924, 8324 and 1312 should all perform in a similar way, assuming they're the same variant, being B10A? I'm conscious of the 1312 price and that the 8324s don't seem as readily available as the 8924s. Therefore, if the 8924 turns out to be my preferred choice and I decide to purchase a second, would I be missing out by not exploring the 8324 and 1312?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 10:22:40 PM »

Is it safe to say that the 8924, 8324 and 1312 should all perform in a similar way, assuming they're the same variant, being B10A?

Yes, that would be a good assumption.

. . . if the 8924 turns out to be my preferred choice and I decide to purchase a second, would I be missing out by not exploring the 8324 and 1312?

Probably not. But then you are asking me to predict the future for your own circuit.  :D 
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

keyap

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 10:35:17 PM »

Thank you.

Sounds like my thinking is on the right track.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 10:23:22 AM »

I bought a VMG1312-B10A for my line, and found it performed worse on upstream than my HG612 did, so I went back to that.

I tried it on my fathers VDSL line and he gained 2.5Mb downstream on it and the line is a lot "cleaner" if you look through DSLstats for a number of days.

His line runs to a pole outside, whereas mine is underground - not sure what difference that makes but one would assume the underground line is protected from the elements.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

pxr5

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 11:56:05 AM »

My own line (underground) improved a little with a VMG8924-B10A that replaced a HH5A.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 03:57:43 PM »

...one would assume the underground line is protected from the elements.
...and MW & SW radio transmissions.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

anything