Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Which distro do you use, and why?  (Read 9416 times)

Octal

Re: Which distro do you use, and why?
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2018, 11:59:23 AM »

I moved away from Windows back when it was moving from Win98 to XP and even then I didn't like the way Windows was moving, I think I was correct, just look at Windows 10 now-a-days.

After using various distributions over the years, these days I've settled on Ubuntu MATE for all the computers in our household. Thankfully the wife is a technophobe so doesn't know any difference and doesn't care, she likes it because it just works, any updating falls to the IT Director (me) which only generally takes a few minutes, unlike Windows 7 here at work, that seems to take half the day, slowing the computer down in the meantime.

I'm not a gamer, the only intensive program I use is XPlane but that works a treat with the big fat Nvidia graphics card installed. And my SDR radio receiver works fine. I have found my antenna modelling software actually works better through Wine than it did in Windows  :-\

I can't see any good reason to go back to Windows anytime soon, but our secret must be kept  ;)

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2018, 01:01:13 PM »

There are two reasons why I am still sadly tied to Windows.

1. At work - Well, most enterprises are using Windows these days, so not a lot I can do about that.

2. At home - gaming. Though, the situation is ever improving by the day. I just need the time to sit down and wipe the box and put some new OS on.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2018, 03:44:42 PM »

PCLinuxOS 64 KDE5   https://www.pclinuxos.com/get-pclinuxos/kde/

Tried it when Eric (roseway) did the tutorials in 2007  (see above) and used it ever since.

It is installed on my main laptop and on my wife's laptop and she likes it.
My daughter uses it as well, she used it all through uni and now living and working in Kent she still finds it does all she wants. 
On my spare laptop/ test laptop I have PCLinuxOS Darkstar (a cut down version) installed.
Darkstar is also used as the base OS for my backup server, that is used to backup all our home machines and including our daughters each day.

I have tried other distro's but still stick with this one.
Some machines do have Win7 installed for iTunes and access for iPhones, I also need Win7 to work software to look at our cars PID's (eg the cars computer/s data port output).
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything