Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Broadband Performance Tester.  (Read 9580 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
BT Broadband Performance Tester.
« on: November 11, 2006, 12:24:09 AM »

Hello. 
Put the flags out  :o  had BB just over one month and its only the second time I got the 'BT Broadband Performance tester '   http://test.speedtester.bt.com:50301     to work, is this normal ?.
I sent BTW an email about it not working 3 weeks ago!.
Regards Michael.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT Broadband Performance Tester.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 01:14:51 AM »

>> is this normal

Yep   :(

It seemed to work fine during the beta testing but since its gone live its a nightmare trying to access it.
I believe the best chance of trying to do so is early on in the day.

I think a lot of users are utilising it just to get an indication of their bRAS profile, but its also utilising a lot of bandwidth because it also does the speedtester.

Far more helpful (and less usage on their resources) would be if they made it so that the End Users could just access their Data Rate without having to perform a speedtest.  ::)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 11:51:20 AM »

But BT and Useful in the same sentence doesn't often happen, unfortunately :(
Chris

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 02:39:05 PM »

Its Not Working again ! ,   Just tried it. what a waste of time they are .   >:(
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 06:59:52 PM »

:(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 07:25:21 PM »

Well I've just got the tester to work on both my broadband connections, but only after several attempts on the PN one; the BT Biz worked first time.

My PN connection has its IP profile set at 7150. Is that the highest setting? I've always synced at 8128 on this one.

My BT line is still syncing at 7616 (interleaved) after 10 days. I rang a couple of days ago to say that it hadn't shifted from day one, and that my other line has always synced at 8128, but they told me to wait 11 days. When I ring again tomorrow will they tell me to wait 15 days!?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 07:52:48 PM »

>> IP profile set at 7150. Is that the highest setting? I've always synced at 8128 on this one.

Thats correct - IP profile of 7150 only applies to lines which sync at 8128.

>> My BT line is still syncing at 7616

Thats the default maximum sync speed for an interleaved line.
Your IP profile on a consistant sync of 7616 should be 6500 kbps.

IP profile is an estimate of maximum throughput speeds after an allowance for overheads... 
ie the maximum real speed you could likely achieve (if it wasnt for contention) :/
Interleaving ... or more correctly... error correction at 7616 sync has a 512kb overhead hence the lower IP throughput.

-----

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 08:18:38 PM »

Thanks for that explanation Kitz. I'll get the boogers to take interleaving off on Monday. :)

EVIL-SCOTSMAN

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 09:14:52 PM »

Thanks for that explanation Kitz. I'll get the boogers to take interleaving off on Monday. :)

ahahahahaaaa

and so the fight begins :)

canon

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 09:18:36 PM »

Hmm,
I sync at 8128kbps and the BT checker says my IP profile is 6500kbps; my connection is interleaved so is that what I should expect?

Metronet tell me "The bRAS profile on your line is 7392kbps. By my reckoning, and I don't know this for a fact, the IP Profile is a rough estimate of what your highest potential speed could be, taken into account overheads and so on. We have set a profile of 7000kbps as it is the nearest 500kbps down."

The 7329 seems a strange number in the world of ADSL max!

Contention means I get a max d/l speed of ~ 5.5Mbps; evenings a re much better now the exchange is off VP red, usually ~2.0 to 3.0Mbps

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 09:30:47 PM »

Hi.
Fell of chair with shock ( or was that too much wine with dinner ? ) It worked, that's twice today, Will that mean I have used my quota up for this month ?.
From Michael.

Kev

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 12:50:32 PM »

Just tried the BT Tester but all I keep getting back is......

The login name entered on this tool doesnt match that discovered by querying the network for your domain name. Please check your telephone number (or user name) and try again.

I know the details are correct - what's the next plan of action?

Kev

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 02:26:05 PM »

It generally means that the login details (that would normally go in your modem/router) are incorrect.

However, something else that it could be - if you are on datastream or LLU, the test wont work for you..
-----