Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Network Story  (Read 4920 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
The Network Story
« on: November 10, 2006, 11:42:58 PM »

Hello All .

I was looking at this the other day from BT, Very interesting.    http://www.btplc.com/thegroup/networkstory/netstory.html

Michael.

Kitz.. what about making this 'sticky'
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: The Network Story
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 02:08:28 AM »

Yep that quite a good in depth site - I did see it at some point last year iirc.

Wasnt anything like that about when I first did How adsl works.
I remember back in 2003 trying to get what info I could from BT SFI and bits from ISPs.. then piecing it all together.

I think mr_chris will testify that I had some fun at the time  :-\
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 10:34:53 AM »

Maybe kitz should establish a reference section in which could be placed topics such and things like SNR guidelines, 17070, wiring etc.

They could be made stickies or locked so that they remained reference and could be discussed elsewhere.

Any thoughts? I can appreciate that particuarly for new visitors, unless they are good at searching ot have a nose around, key info might not present itself as easily as it might in a dedicated section.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 12:13:07 PM »

I think mr_chris will testify that I had some fun at the time  :-\

We both did! Both of us were getting daily phone calls from the BT special faults engineer when we had horrendous contention on the exchange. Kitz in particular just kept on digging and pushing for info from the guy (who was really brilliant, it has to be said). In the end kitz managed to piece together quite a lot of info about how the exchange and ADSL actually worked.
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 08:00:21 PM »

Yep some stickies would be a quite a good idea. 
Wont stop all people asking - a lot of the info is on the main site anyhow - and over the past few years Ive done a fair few stickies for other forums. ;)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything