Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Suggestions for FTTC ISP  (Read 4241 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Suggestions for FTTC ISP
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2018, 06:36:21 PM »

both idnet and zen had issues in past year so if u can afford it i would go with aaisp

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2018, 07:06:33 PM »

both idnet and zen had issues in past year so if u can afford it i would go with aaisp
Care to elaborate on what sort of issues? Any references? I'm not generally put off by small issues, and capacity issues here would be unlikely from past experience (though that is experience with the mainstream ISPs). I do recall Zen having a massive outage back in April, but as for IDNET I don't remember seeing anything.

It's already decided anyway. Even though I have up to the activation date to cancel, I do not think I will be changing my mind.

Still thinking about when G.fast will be arriving though so I can "upgrade". I mentioned in a different topic that it's not expected to be complete until sometime next year.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2018, 12:38:24 PM »

Can't say a bad word about AAISP. A great teccy ISP. Their control panel is great, their status pages are relevant and detailed, so you know exactly what outages are happening and when - you can also select which time of the night you'd prefer a PPP reset on the back of any work they do. They had a little blip of about 20 seconds the other day, didn’t think much of it…but it was already reported on their status page that they were investigating the cause. They’re a very proactive ISP.

IPv6 support is great, latency on both is below 7ms for me (TT Backhaul). Obviously, they have no input on the physical characteristics of my line, but if you already have a good line then an ISP such as AAISP will compliment it nicely.

There was an issue on the TT backhaul recently in terms of throughput speed being throttled – so people on max sync’s were never seeing more than 68mb. AAISP took this to talk talk and worked with them, and they managed to fix it. I can’t think of another ISP who would do that, all you’d get from Sky or BT are the standard fob off rubbish.

It's just nice to have an ISP who listens to it's customers and doesn't try and patronise them. After years of having to deal with BT and their constant 'turn it off and on again' nonsense or them trying to convince me that the band my wireless router is set to was contributing to my low sync speeds.

But if you have that sort of budget between 50-60, I'd say AAISP are the guys to go for.
Vodafone FTTC 80/20. ECI Cab.

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2018, 04:33:37 PM »

I currently get between 9-11ms latency minimum on my current ISP which uses TT backhaul, and I imagine that this is to servers based in London (since that's where the routing is). Can't say that I would expect it to be better than this since we'd need to break the laws of physics for the most part unless they want to run fibre direct from my computer in a straight line to London itself. But I would be surprised if it was worse.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2018, 06:00:25 PM »

Bah! The migration has caused interleaving to be set at quite a high level reducing the sync rate by almost 10 Mbps and a delay of 8ms has been applied. :yuck: My fear of switching ISP was not necessarily for any potential downtime and the requirement to reconfigure but rather having the line profile reset. Perhaps what I am experiencing is related to this?

Roll on [re-applying] G.INP!

Worth noting that historically the line fell, at most, a couple of hundred Kbps short of the full 80 Mbps without G.INP (since it was fastpath AFAIK). It wasn't a big deal then but the prospects aren't looking great since it took about 3 weeks to enable G.INP last time!

I guess there is one positive to this: it will take me longer to burn through the allowance. :lol:

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2018, 07:48:34 PM »

It's been a default line profile of Interleaving on Huawei cabinets since at least August 2015

Downstream

Initially, low interleaving is enabled by default on all retransmission lines. Once DLM has positively identified that the modem supports retransmission then retransmission is enabled. This happens after a few days. If the low level of retransmission is not good enough to correct all errors then the high level is selected by DLM.  If the line remains unstable and cannot be adequately managed by DLM with retransmission profile then Interleaving is applied as normal.

The recent change more affected ECI lines, and some Huawei new provisions that sometimes started on fastpath.

I migrated from BT to Plusnet a couple weeks ago. The line dropped from 44Mb (3db, retx low) to 31Mb (low interleaving/INP=3).
Within 8 days I was back to 3dB / G.INP

BT
14/10/18 3dB, G.INP(retx low), sync = 44330

Plusnet (migration 15/10/18)
15/10/18 6dB, Interleaving Low, sync = 31165
17/10/18 6dB, G.INP (retx low) sync =36251
19/10/18 5dB, G.INP (retx high), sync = 38275
21/10/18 4dB, G.INP (retx high), sync = 40523
23/10/18 3dB, G.INP (retx high), sync = 44224

Capped the line about 1 min as I remembered I was still retx high. should be low again in a few days!
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2018, 08:09:08 PM »

When I initially had this line installed back in January, it was not subject to interleaving; it was 1/1. Now it's 1385/1. :ouch:

Btw, might want to update your sig. :P

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2018, 11:13:29 PM »

When I initially had this line installed back in January, it was not subject to interleaving; it was 1/1. Now it's 1385/1. :ouch:

which is why I said

and some Huawei new provisions that sometimes started on fastpath.

Though pre the recent changes you linked a DLM reset/ISP migration on a line on a Huawei cabinet would usually go low interleaving (INP=3).
New line provisions (huawei) were either or.

On ECI lines all new provisions and all DLM resets went fastpath. (pre recent change)

I think all DLM resets and all new provisions are meant to be low interleaving now, regardless of DSLAM.
That appears to be how it works anyway.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2018, 12:18:59 AM »

Yeah I read what you said. :) It's just frustrating it has to be that way.

Yep my INP is 3. I don't expect I'll see any changes for at least a couple of days.

Anyway, other than that, the change went smoothly. IPv6 enabled, got myself a /29 block of IPv4 (not sure what I intend to do with it at the moment) and I've dropped the line rate to 95% on the control panel to reduce bufferbloat on the downstream (I've also done QoS on the router for upstream). The control panel is pretty sound, too (before I didn't even have one on the other ISP).

Looks like my estimated usage for this month will be around 400GB, so 2TB should be way more than I need so I might switch the allowance somewhere down the line to save a few bob.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 12:26:22 AM by re0 »
Pages: 1 [2]