Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Suggestions for FTTC ISP  (Read 4240 times)

re0

• Reg Member
Suggestions for FTTC ISP
« on: October 15, 2018, 02:08:03 AM »

Alright guys and gals,

The time has come to look into changing to an ISP that meets my requirements.

I've done some homework myself, but I am generally looking for some input in the form of experiences with ISPs and perhaps recommendations for ISPs that I have missed.

My requirements for a new ISP:
  • Needs to offer 80/20 package (not aware of any that don't) since I sync at max
  • Backhaul does not really matter - never had any congestion on either BT or TT backhaul here
  • Static IPv4, no CGNAT bull (bonus: can purchase a block)
  • IPv6 support
  • Monthly contract*
  • Ability to upgrade to G.fast (bonus: monthly contract)
  • At least 1TB usage (bonus: unlimited)
  • Price is not extremely important, but generally would say a hard cap of around £50-60
  • Call charges are not a priority - line is never used for calls anyway
  • Supplied hardware is not important since I use my own kit
*I may be willing to budge on the monthly contract as long as the ISP in question checks the other boxes and especially offers G.fast so it is possible to upgrade during contract when the service becomes available to me.

ISPs I have ruled out:
  • I have ruled out all the main/"bargain basement" ISPs that are in the race to the bottom - TalkTalk, BT, NowTV, Plusnet & Sky. Most don't fulfill the requirements anyway.
  • Pules8 - no IPv6 support and no known plans to support in the future, no G.fast packages and no timescale to offer it.
  • Freeola - no IPv6 support.
  • Uno - no IPv6 support.
So far I have considered a few ISPs:
  • AAISP - seems to check all the boxes, though a bit on the expensive side (£60 for 2TB, uploads are not counted of course). I believe it is possible to switch the quota each month and it does not impact reserve quota regardless of upgrading or downgrading. Anyone can confirm? They do offer G.fast but only trial.
  • Zen - is 12 months, though only £42/m including unlimited data usage, free static IP address and I believe IPv6 support. Also offering G.fast. Included FRITZ!Box 3490 is not important since it is Lantiq. :yuck:
  • IDNET - monthly contract, £48/m, unlimited, static IPv4 with IPv6 support and G.fast offerings.
Thanks in advance for your input! If you read all this and still have the energy to respond then I am grateful.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Suggestions for FTTC ISP
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 04:57:01 AM »

I can happily recommend AA. You can have a block of real static IPv4 addresses and at no charge, you just need to ask.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 08:57:02 AM »

If your normal usage is between 200GB and 800GB you can use this to save money!

Month 1 2TB package:
Use 800GB which means you carry over 600GB (half the unused 1.2TB)

Month 2 200GB package:
Starting allowance is 800GB and all is used

Month 3 back to 2TB and keep repeating.

The interesting thing is that it renders the 300GB package totally redundant. Doing as I suggest costs an extra £15 every other month (average £7.50 per month). The 300GB package costs an extra £10 per month!

jelv

You could do that if you wanted  :)

Andrew Hearn
GM, AAISP
It's worth reading the whole topic which confirms you can swap every month.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 09:00:09 AM by jelv »
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 09:35:09 AM »

it's a bit of a faff though really, isn't it?
unless it's a totally automated process that doesn't require you to phyiscally do anything?

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 10:20:34 AM »

Leaving the quota permanently set at 2TB is no faff at all!  :P This is cheating the system to save money so it's just a question of whether a bit of faff is worth it. Switching between 2TB and 200GB each month saves £15 every other month and gives you around 1TB 800GB per month.

You can change your quota at any time, taking effect from the next billing month.

The way to work it is to look at the likely quota bonus in the last week of the month and then queue up the change if needed.

Edit: Corrected effective allowance.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 10:36:48 AM by jelv »
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

DaveC

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 11:16:27 AM »

Another happy AAISP customer here.

But one warning if you're planning an imminent switch to G.Fast is that I don't think AAISP yet offer the full 330 service - AFAIK they cap it to 160.  This is because they're being careful to avoid congestion in their network.

So you may want to confirm their current and planned G.Fast offerings with them.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 03:26:54 PM »

Thank you for your inputs.

You can have a block of real static IPv4 addresses and at no charge, you just need to ask.
I think I have read this before, and it is good since some providers that offer IPv4 blocks charge up to around £16/m for 8 static IPv4 addresses!

I have read it is possible to change quotas, regardless of whether it is an increase or decrease, even if you're still within your minimum term. This is nice. :)

To be honest, I am not using anywhere near 2TB a month. I think I'm on my way to using about 300GB this month and previous months may have been between 200-500GB mostly. I don't generally torrent, I don't download a lot outside of updates and I don't stream much either. I think the most I have ever used was about somewhere between 700-900GB during a single month, and that may have even been on an ~8 Mbps ADSL2+ broadband connection (there is a chance it could have been FTTC, but the noggin can't recall exactly) after reinstalling Windows and having to redownload virtually an entire Steam library. :lol:

But one warning if you're planning an imminent switch to G.Fast is that I don't think AAISP yet offer the full 330 service - AFAIK they cap it to 160.  This is because they're being careful to avoid congestion in their network.

So you may want to confirm their current and planned G.Fast offerings with them.
I have heard that in their own G.fast trial they are only offering 160/50 Mbps. I know that Openreach G.fast pilot rental prices are the same for both the 160/30 and 330/50 Mbps so they are at no loss for provisioning the higher speed AFAIK, but I am not sure if that is still the case now. There is an intent to offer 330 later. Still, 160 should be fast enough to blow through 2TB quickly if I need to. ;D

Any IDNETers here? Any Zen users? Or perhaps there is some ISPs I have never heard of that are ticking the boxes? :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 03:37:26 PM »

I'm with IDNet, but I can't really add anything to the discussion apart from saying that I'm completely satisfied.
  Eric

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 03:47:47 PM »

ISPs I have ruled out:
  • I have ruled out all the main/"bargain basement" ISPs that are in the race to the bottom - TalkTalk, BT, NowTV, Plusnet & Sky. Most don't fulfill the requirements anyway.
  • Pules8 - no IPv6 support and no known plans to support in the future, no G.fast packages and no timescale to offer it.
  • Freeola - no IPv6 support.
  • Uno - no IPv6 support.
Out of interest why is IPv6 a must? What can you do over IPv6 that you can't over IPv4? My ISP offers both IPv4 and IPv6, yet I've only ever used static IPv4 addresses and never had any problem on the WWW.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 04:01:39 PM »

Out of interest why is IPv6 a must? What can you do over IPv6 that you can't over IPv4?
Those are good questions indeed. And you do make a good point, and I have thought about it before and asked myself "is IPv6 really necessary"?

The truth is, I could live without IPv6 for the moment since a lot of websites and services support both protocols. When I see it as a requirement for me I am thinking about the future. In the meantime, I could just use a 6in4 provider but Teredo tunneling is broken in Windows 10 (and has been for a while). I could look to some other tunnelling protocol, perhaps VPN, but these are just workarounds.

One other thing to mention is that I would like to get used to using IPv6 since I have had little exposure to it. Plus, I would like to be able to enable, properly configure and test IPv6 iptables (ip6tables).

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 06:36:48 PM »

Well, I'll give AAISP a try and hope I won't regret it. :) There are two active lines here so hopefully Openreach won't eff it up somehow. Though I did make it clear which CLI needs to be migrated so I do not believe that the information will get lost from AAISP to OR, but it's after that I have to worry about!

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 07:19:20 PM »

If OR mess it up, rest assured, AAISP will get it sorted. I promise you, you will not be disappointed with AAISP. My only regret with AAISP was not signing up years ago.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 07:32:51 PM »

The truth is, I don't actually have a problem with my current ISP. I am just looking to the future as perhaps this one may not continue to meet my needs. With G.fast around the corner, I want to switch lanes now and be able to jump to G.fast when it is available.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 11:56:30 PM »

That is exactly why I wanted IPv6 - to allow me to learn about new technology. I had had some exposure to IPv6 starting in 2006 when Vista came out as IPv6 was used by default for link local communications of certain types. IPv6 was mandatory for the newer versions of Windows Messenger which had to get the o/s to fire up Teredo if IPv6 was absent, just to make IPv6 available, and the newer Windows Messenger app would not run over IPv4.

That is why Zen lost out in competition with AA in attracting me, because Zen dragged their heels for year after year after year and IPv6 only came available after an eternity something like five or six year, incredible, and I had long since given up on them because I wasn’t willing to wait. AA has had IPv6 since 2002, so I read in their website somewhere.

IPv6 is slower over the internet unfortunately and I am not sure why, from testers I have used, and the bloat for the additional header size is a bit too small to account for the difference that I have seen in the reported figures. It is however rock solid, as there is no possibility of failures due to DHCP bugs or kit failing when the network powers up if birds decides are relying on a DHCP IPv4 server and there is a random race to see who can boot up first. Of course you could have the same vulnerability with DHCPv6, but who uses that - it is completely unnecessary in the usual case. DHCP just sometimes goes wrong, if clients go to sleep then there can be DHCP problems. DHCP is a major security threat to unless you have the right advanced kit to defend against attackers. Also NAT is evil in my opinion and it is so difficult to get proper end-to end communications across networks with IPv4 as many users do not have proper routable IPv4 addresses but with IPv6 things tend to be done correctly. These things are not inherent to IPv6 vs IPv4 and IPv4 can be done such that proper addresses are used, no NAT and no reliance on DHCP.

IPv6 zeroconf startup and choosing of all IP addresses for yourself is rock solid, it just always works. MAC-based addresses are fail proof and the alternative method, random address generation works without problems.

IPv6 networking subsystem also tend to do a whole load of things using better techniques and practices since a lot of rethinks were stimulated around the time of IPv6 design, helpful best practice RFCs. Microsoft’s Vista IP subsystem applied all the new good practices that were in use for IPv6 to IPv4 as well, treating them both in the same way in many respects. IPv6 subsystems are better simply because it is a new fresh start in design, and as I said in some systems these code improvements spread to IPv4 too. So if ‘IPv6’ sometimes is more solid it is actually the code that is better, not the protocol itself.

So I would say that IPv6 can be more solid in terms of autoconfig working ok even in problem situations. IPv6 security is not at all better, because even if the problem DHCP server is gone, there are potential threats from bogus RAs. IPv6 security in respect of LAN-internal malefactors is something that has been shamefully ignored and is a problem in waiting. Neighbour Discovery (ND), the IPv6 name for the new version of ARP, is just as much a problem area as ARP is. The secured proposal for an upgrade to ND, SEND (RFC 3971) has not been deployed widely at all and I don’t know if this is because of problems with it or just ignorance or apathy. IPv6 certainly has its share of security problems relating to LAN-internal rogues and things have not got better, possibly the reverse. (I have been reading a book on IPv6-specific security issues.)

It is interesting that some corporates have now got rid of IPv4 completely for their internal stuff. Microsoft is one example, has got rid of IPv4 on large parts of their corporate network. Their wireless LANs including their guest SSID are IPv6-only. A lot of stuff has been found to fail because it works over IPv6 yet has occasional reliance on IPv4 facilities being there. So going from ‘dual stack’ (hate that term), ie 6 and 4, to IPv4-free is a real challenge.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 01:21:18 PM »

The good news is that the migration is taking place on the correct CLI. :) Got an email from the current provider so that pretty much clears that up. Plus got a /29 IPv4 block allocated no problem; it looks like the block is allocated alongside the single static IP address, which is preferable since my current ISP require me to have my addresses changed whenever I needed to adjust my block (since addresses are only allocated in a single block) which means having to preemptively configure any firewalls locked down to my IP address so I don't lock myself out.

@Weaver, good bit of information there but I really do not know how much I intend to do with IPv6 yet. My main concern is just ensuring I am able to access services in IPv6 and configure and test ip6tables on Linux servers. Most of the time I have just disabled IPv6 on servers since it was easier to do so and I did not really have the resources or knowledge to really take advantage of it (perhaps it is not necessary, but I want to get used to it anyway).

I can see for IPv6 I have got a /48 block anyway. Seems pretty standard for AAISP.

Looks like I got a bit to happy with the keyboard and posted prematurely. :-[ Hence the edit.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 01:28:05 PM by re0 »
Pages: [1] 2

anything