Broadband Related > ISPs

Suggestions for FTTC ISP

(1/5) > >>

re0:
Alright guys and gals,

The time has come to look into changing to an ISP that meets my requirements.

I've done some homework myself, but I am generally looking for some input in the form of experiences with ISPs and perhaps recommendations for ISPs that I have missed.

My requirements for a new ISP:

* Needs to offer 80/20 package (not aware of any that don't) since I sync at max
* Backhaul does not really matter - never had any congestion on either BT or TT backhaul here
* Static IPv4, no CGNAT bull (bonus: can purchase a block)
* IPv6 support
* Monthly contract*
* Ability to upgrade to G.fast (bonus: monthly contract)
* At least 1TB usage (bonus: unlimited)
* Price is not extremely important, but generally would say a hard cap of around £50-60
* Call charges are not a priority - line is never used for calls anyway
* Supplied hardware is not important since I use my own kit*I may be willing to budge on the monthly contract as long as the ISP in question checks the other boxes and especially offers G.fast so it is possible to upgrade during contract when the service becomes available to me.

ISPs I have ruled out:

* I have ruled out all the main/"bargain basement" ISPs that are in the race to the bottom - TalkTalk, BT, NowTV, Plusnet & Sky. Most don't fulfill the requirements anyway.
* Pules8 - no IPv6 support and no known plans to support in the future, no G.fast packages and no timescale to offer it.
* Freeola - no IPv6 support.
* Uno - no IPv6 support.So far I have considered a few ISPs:

* AAISP - seems to check all the boxes, though a bit on the expensive side (£60 for 2TB, uploads are not counted of course). I believe it is possible to switch the quota each month and it does not impact reserve quota regardless of upgrading or downgrading. Anyone can confirm? They do offer G.fast but only trial.
* Zen - is 12 months, though only £42/m including unlimited data usage, free static IP address and I believe IPv6 support. Also offering G.fast. Included FRITZ!Box 3490 is not important since it is Lantiq. :yuck:
* IDNET - monthly contract, £48/m, unlimited, static IPv4 with IPv6 support and G.fast offerings.Thanks in advance for your input! If you read all this and still have the energy to respond then I am grateful.

Weaver:
I can happily recommend AA. You can have a block of real static IPv4 addresses and at no charge, you just need to ask.

jelv:

--- Quote from: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/aaisp/t/4598594-re-aaisp-newbie-question-on-packages.html ---If your normal usage is between 200GB and 800GB you can use this to save money!

Month 1 2TB package:
Use 800GB which means you carry over 600GB (half the unused 1.2TB)

Month 2 200GB package:
Starting allowance is 800GB and all is used

Month 3 back to 2TB and keep repeating.

The interesting thing is that it renders the 300GB package totally redundant. Doing as I suggest costs an extra £15 every other month (average £7.50 per month). The 300GB package costs an extra £10 per month!

jelv
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/aaisp/t/4598664-re-aaisp-newbie-question-on-packages.html ---You could do that if you wanted  :)

Andrew Hearn
GM, AAISP
--- End quote ---
It's worth reading the whole topic which confirms you can swap every month.

chenks:

--- Quote from: jelv on October 15, 2018, 08:57:02 AM ---It's worth reading the whole topic which confirms you can swap every month.

--- End quote ---

it's a bit of a faff though really, isn't it?
unless it's a totally automated process that doesn't require you to phyiscally do anything?

jelv:
Leaving the quota permanently set at 2TB is no faff at all!  :P This is cheating the system to save money so it's just a question of whether a bit of faff is worth it. Switching between 2TB and 200GB each month saves £15 every other month and gives you around 1TB 800GB per month.

--- Quote from: https://aa.net.uk/broadband-home1.html ---You can change your quota at any time, taking effect from the next billing month.
--- End quote ---

The way to work it is to look at the likely quota bonus in the last week of the month and then queue up the change if needed.

Edit: Corrected effective allowance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version