Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: WHITE cat5e cable of 50m in length  (Read 5897 times)

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: WHITE cat5e cable of 50m in length
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2018, 09:07:59 PM »

anyway, back to the original subject....

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2018, 09:02:57 PM »

so i was experimenting with new placement of AP with an old long cat5e patch cable i had (about 10 meters or so).
and wow was a surprised in the drop off of speed cause by that cable.

with the AP connected with a 1m cable to router i can max out my ISP downstream (218Mbps down) over WIFI on my phone.
switch it over to that long temporary cable and was lucky to break 100Mbps down on a test using the same device standing next to the AP.
the cable is UTP 24AWG 4 pair, but guessing it must be unshielded.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2018, 09:27:46 PM »

Unshielded Cat 5e will easilly provide gigabit ethernet over these distances, in any normal (or even extreme) domestic environment.

A possible explanation might be a cable fault, open circuit on one of the cores, whereupon the comms link will often drop back to 100Mbit ethernet, using just 2 pairs?

I have personally found manufactured patch cables to be highly unreliable, with open circuit cores on some, even when brand new.   Paying more for good branded cables helps, but is no guarantee of success owing to abundance of counterfeits.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2018, 10:02:40 PM »

on closer inspection, it may actually be cat5 (not cat 5e).
which may explain the drop off.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2018, 10:41:06 PM »

on closer inspection, it may actually be cat5 (not cat 5e).
which may explain the drop off.

Probably not.  In most circumstances, and particularly such short distances, Gigabit ethernet will work just as well on Cat 5 as Cat 5e.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2018, 07:42:41 AM »

well something ain't right with the cable, that's for sure.
it's not dropping back to 100Mbps though, as on some tests it's exceeding 100Mbps, but getting nowhere near 200Mbps.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2018, 08:17:32 AM »

Didn’t mean to disagree, odds on it is a bad cable - either faulty, or just border-line performance.    Assuming that is, you have complete confidence in gigabit capability of whatever it is connected to at either end?

Maybe a more scientific approach than measuring obderved speed,  which can be affected by other co-incidental factors, I would have expected there to be some way of interrogating the ethernet connection to see if gigabit had been negotiated.   Using for example the GUI, telnet & CLI, whatever, to see whether it has negotiated 100Mbit or gigabit.  Maybe some Busybox/Linux experts can suggest suitable CLI incantations...?

Alternatively, on some kit the flashing activity leds change colour when gigabit is negotiated.  Maybe worth checking whether that applies to your kit, unless you already know.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2018, 08:20:24 AM »

oh yes, the end point is fully gigabit capable. Unifi AP connected to EdgeRouter.
of course, won't be getting gigabit over the WIFI connection, but it's capable of more than what my ISP downstream limit is.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 08:29:43 AM by chenks »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2018, 09:02:51 AM »

I have no experience of these brands.

I performed a quick google search.  Bearing in mind that quick google searches often produce red herrings, found this...

From
https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204910134-UniFi-LED-Color-Patterns-in-UniFi-Devices

Speed/Link/Act (right LED ports other than Console):

LED Off: No Link
LED Amber: Link Established at 10/100 Mbps
LED Flashing Amber: Link Activity at 10/100 Mbps
LED Green: Link Established at 1000 Mbps
LED Flashing Green: Link Activity at 1000 Mbps

If the link is 100Mbps then obviously,  that would explain the issue.   If the link is establishing 1000 Mbps then possible reasons for low WiFi throughput might be...

1). The AP is just not happy in its new location, too much interference, or other issues.   WiFi throughtput is always susceptible to degradation as the frequencies are shared with various other applications.   Whilst I have no doubt that very fast WiFi (100s of Mbps)  is possible and demonstrable, and I find it useful when it works, I personally tend to not rely on it beyond what’s needed to stream HD or UHD movies, a few 10s of Mbps.

2).  Too many ethernet retransmissions.   This is extremely unlikely, transmissions should be very rare and usually zero, but worth checking as a last resort, though I don’t know what diagnostic interface you’d use.   That would tend to imply a fairly major hardware fault, either cabling or interfaces.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 09:06:38 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2018, 09:14:09 AM »

Could you test a wired connection direct to the router using the suspect cable.

You could also try running speed tests across the LAN https://totusoft.com/lanspeed
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2018, 09:14:32 AM »

i think you're totally mis-interpreting the issue here.
the issue not with AP placement, or the end-point connection.
as i clearly said, the issue is the cable.

i was merely commenting on how i was surprised in the drop off of speed cause by that cable.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2018, 09:15:54 AM »

Could you test a wired connection direct to the router using the suspect cable.

You could also try running speed tests across the LAN https://totusoft.com/lanspeed

the edgerouters have iperf built-in, so would be easy enough to run a network test.
but it's the cable that is the problem.
Pages: 1 [2]