Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: WHITE cat5e cable of 50m in length  (Read 5957 times)

chenks

• Kitizen
WHITE cat5e cable of 50m in length
« on: October 14, 2018, 09:37:26 PM »

i've moved and my new flat is an old 1920's tenement building with thick stone walls external and internal (they don't build them like this any more).
as such the planned location of my Unifi AP isn't suitable. it does manage cover all areas but the furthest point away the signal can be a little week (2.4 and 5).

so i'm going to move the AP to the middle point of the flat.
this means i'll need approx 40m-50m  (probably somewhere around 30m be going longer to be on safe side).
the AP is powered via POE from the edgerouter which is staying in the original location (aloong with all the other comms kit).

routing the cable will be fine as it'll be following the same route as the virgin coax cable.
the AP will be placed about the front door, which is the where the entry point for Virgin is. and the route back to the edgerouter will be the same route as the virgin coax takes to get the termination point.

the only snag i have it trying to find suitable cat5e/cat6 WHITE cable to do the job.
i'm happy to buy a 50m patch cable and just cut an end off and re-terminate it again myself, but most of the 50m patch cables appear to be a dubious quality at best, or are mis-advertised as white but are actually grey when to drill into the actual listing.

so can anyone point me in the direction of a suitable length of cable?
it'll need to be white, be able to do POE and supply gigabit with no degradation.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: WHITE cat5e cable of 50m in length
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 10:23:57 PM »

Would the Cat5e cable from Run-IT-Direct be suitable?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 07:48:39 AM »

possibly, but at 75p per meter it ain't cheap!
£37.50 for 50m.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 09:45:24 AM »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/50m-Networkcable-patchkabel-flooring-laminate/dp/B0167KR4UU

i've always been dubious about the "flat" style cable. surely this interferes with the "twisted pair" model.
also, as i'd be needing to cut the plug off one end and re-terminate it, having never done it with a flat cable, i'd not be confident in getting a good reconnection.

it also gets very bad reviews, i'd avoid the "flat" style cable at all costs.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 09:48:35 AM by chenks »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 10:25:46 AM »

« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 10:28:19 AM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 10:41:32 AM »

Found this on ebay

would be ideal if they did it in smaller lengths.
it would be waste to get 100m and only use less than half of it.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 01:08:07 PM »

You could always put what's left back on ebay.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 02:44:54 PM »

You could always put what's left back on ebay.

i refuse to sell anything on ebay after they started taking a percentage of your postage costs, on top of a percentage of the selling price and a percentage from the paypal fee.

not worth selling anything on there any more.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 03:01:13 PM »

Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 03:03:06 PM »

i'd rather not have to buy more than i need on the off chance i'd be able to sell on the off cut i didn't use.
the chances of selling it would be slim at best.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 03:53:40 PM »

i refuse to sell anything on ebay after they started taking a percentage of your postage costs, on top of a percentage of the selling price and a percentage from the paypal fee.

not worth selling anything on there any more.

I always take those fees into account when working out prices, ie pass them on to the purchaser.

PS. I suspect they started taking a percentage of postal costs as some users used whack up the postage to save on fees, but I do agree the fees are to expensive.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 04:18:09 PM »

PS. I suspect they started taking a percentage of postal costs as some users used whack up the postage to save on fees, but I do agree the fees are to expensive.

indeed they did. but that then punishes honest sellers that charge what postage (and packaging) actually costs, which means you end up out of pocket on the P&P.

if you sell something at £20-£30 it almost ends up hardly worth it, once you take into account
sell price percentage
posting price percentage
paypal fee
and (if applicable) listing fee

add on to that the amount of people that complain about what they've bought, ebay can go "f" themselves.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 04:19:48 PM »

I always take those fees into account when working out prices, ie pass them on to the purchaser.
I am pretty sure it goes against eBay's terms, though I could be wrong. But I can't blame anyone for doing that since I think it is unreasonable to take a slice of postal fees!

eBay is a terrible marketplace anyway, at least for the sellers... even more so in regards to the little, occasional sellers.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 08:58:46 PM »

Hmmm, I've never seen anywhere that I'm aware that states you have to charge what the postage physically costs, there is materials, and time to pack as well, they all have a cost, and that cost should be taken into account in the postage costs. I don't sell much, just mainly old stuff that's no longer required, mostly with free delivery (which of course is built into the price). My biggest problem is actually getting around to listing it.

Actually having just Googled this I came across a page on MSE, which states user can't increase postage costs to cover fee's, but I've often charged more that the physical cost and I've used the Ebay postage system to buy and print the labels and have never been challenged, but then I do only charge reasonable prices.

If there is another easy way to sell something, such as forum classifieds then I'll use that instead, but other wise I use eBay. If it's left sitting in a cupboard then I get nothing, at least selling on eBay I get something back. In one recent sale I sold £150 worth of wheels/tyres for a £1 maximum fee, and the guy paid cash so no Paypal fee's  ;D
Pages: [1] 2