Computers & Hardware > Networking

WHITE cat5e cable of 50m in length

(1/6) > >>

chenks:
i've moved and my new flat is an old 1920's tenement building with thick stone walls external and internal (they don't build them like this any more).
as such the planned location of my Unifi AP isn't suitable. it does manage cover all areas but the furthest point away the signal can be a little week (2.4 and 5).

so i'm going to move the AP to the middle point of the flat.
this means i'll need approx 40m-50m  (probably somewhere around 30m be going longer to be on safe side).
the AP is powered via POE from the edgerouter which is staying in the original location (aloong with all the other comms kit).

routing the cable will be fine as it'll be following the same route as the virgin coax cable.
the AP will be placed about the front door, which is the where the entry point for Virgin is. and the route back to the edgerouter will be the same route as the virgin coax takes to get the termination point.

the only snag i have it trying to find suitable cat5e/cat6 WHITE cable to do the job.
i'm happy to buy a 50m patch cable and just cut an end off and re-terminate it again myself, but most of the 50m patch cables appear to be a dubious quality at best, or are mis-advertised as white but are actually grey when to drill into the actual listing.

so can anyone point me in the direction of a suitable length of cable?
it'll need to be white, be able to do POE and supply gigabit with no degradation.

burakkucat:
Would the Cat5e cable from Run-IT-Direct be suitable?

chenks:
possibly, but at 75p per meter it ain't cheap!
£37.50 for 50m.

andyfitter:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/50m-Networkcable-patchkabel-flooring-laminate/dp/B0167KR4UU

chenks:

--- Quote from: andyfitter on October 15, 2018, 09:36:27 AM ---https://www.amazon.co.uk/50m-Networkcable-patchkabel-flooring-laminate/dp/B0167KR4UU

--- End quote ---

i've always been dubious about the "flat" style cable. surely this interferes with the "twisted pair" model.
also, as i'd be needing to cut the plug off one end and re-terminate it, having never done it with a flat cable, i'd not be confident in getting a good reconnection.

it also gets very bad reviews, i'd avoid the "flat" style cable at all costs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version