Chat > Chit Chat

Mysterious FB hack?

(1/2) > >>

sevenlayermuddle:
Earlier tonight I got a notification that somebody was trying to login to my facebook account.   It was convincing, I’m sure it was not phishing.

Curious thing is, my facebook account is locked down and publicly invisible.   So a prediction,   is yet another big security breach about to hit the headlines?   :o

Most recent security breach affecting me was British Airways, I had to cancel a debit  card I’d used to book a flight.   But althought the villains got all card details including CVV, along with email addresses and personal details from BA, they didn’t get any passwords.   So that does not explain an assault on FB.    Unless there’s more news to follow. :D

Browni:
The latest Facebook hack is still the headline article on the BBC Technology website.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology

sevenlayermuddle:
With respect, I regard that article as an a successful attempt by FB to dupe the BBC into providing free advertising, coupled with the fact that those who are drawn towards social media tend, on the whole, not to be terribly IT savvy.   As the song lyrics go, “any publicity is good publicity”. 

In my case, I joined FB as a means to an end, to participate in a reunion of old colleagues.    I never posted any info on FB, nor did I receive any.   Interesting then, that an attempt should be made to hack such an account?

Ronski:
I presume the BA email address you used was different from the FB one, if not that could be one explanation of the attempted login/hacking.

sevenlayermuddle:
My email address is well known, and has been leaked in various breaches.   

But for somebody to attempt a FB login, I’d say it seems fair to assume they were also in posession of a password that they thought was worth a shot?   The only breach I know of, affecting myself that included passwords, was linkedin, but that was many years ago.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version